Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    Allow me to repeat: much of what the public perceives as "ducking" is a simple matter of economics. Very few meets can afford two such superstars and even fewer can come up with a package that their handlers will find suitable to stage a meeting.

The best analogy is boxing.... sometimes it takes forever to get the conditions right for heavyweights to go head-to-head.
    Thanks as the econonics of it is a factor too......

Comment

Brussels

Does anybody out there think Wariner will ever regain the kind of form he showed in '07? Personally I think he used up a lot of his mojo in '07 running all the those sub 44's.
      LOOKING FOR VIDEO OF HOUSTON MCTEAR

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
        No matter how it's explained, certain folks on here consider Tyson as ducking, which is absurd.

True, I'm one of them,It is what it is. The guy with doubts and less superior times always avoid the guy with confidence and superior times, everyone knows that but some refuse to admit it.

One Love!
        One Love!!!

Comment

Re: Brussels

Originally posted by fasthippie
          Does anybody out there think Wariner will ever regain the kind of form he showed in '07? Personally I think he used up a lot of his mojo in '07 running all the those sub 44's.
          I have seen that theory being brought up a couple of times recently, also Asafa Powell running under 10 and 9.9 as much as he did in years past taking out a lot of him.

Comment

Originally posted by onlooker
            No matter how it's explained, certain folks on here consider Tyson as ducking, which is absurd.

True, I'm one of them,It is what it is. The guy with doubts and less superior times always avoid the guy with confidence and superior times, everyone knows that but some refuse to admit it.

One Love!
            Is that why Bolt switched to the 200 at this meet?

Comment

One Love!
              I'm surprised that other people actually show up to the race at this point. How about you? :roll:

Comment

One Love!
                Again no matter how it's explained you already have your preconcieved/mind made up notion.

Why wouldn't Tyson ducked Bolt in the biggest meet of the year? That would be the meet to duck.
                on the road

Comment

Where are Yohan Blake and Daniel Bailey at?

Comment

Perhaps its some of what everyone is stating. It makes economical sense to compete in Grand Prix's that you have the most chance of winning because of the jackpot. It also makes economical sense to pay less money for one of the premier athletes rather than HUGE appearance fees for two. In addition, its strategic to not give your competition any kind of mental edge against you or allow yourself any kind of discouragement by racing against your main rival and losing. Factor all of that into the suspense and anxiety marketing ploy of having to wait for a big meet to see the two main guys battle it out and you can see why you never see both in the same race at the same time. As GH said... the stars kind of have to align.

That said, its not all together wrong to say that Gay would rather not run against Bolt in a grand prix because of the psychological and economical effects of losing to him too many times in small meaningless meets.

Comment

I've been somewhat critical of Gay for not facing off against Bolt prior to Berlin. Truth is Bolt could easily find a way to face off against Gay if he wanted to himself. Here we had to perfect opportunity. Both Gay and Bolt will be in Brussels competing. Should Bolt be afraid of anyone right now? Of course not.......so I can't quite figure out why he wants to skip the rematch with Gay for the 200m where we all know he is going to win by 5+ meters. Maybe he is just so tired right now that he would rather run the "safest" race. The right decision would be to run the 100m against Gay and Powell. Sorry, but this is a disappointing move by Bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
                        I've been somewhat critical of Gay for not facing off against Bolt prior to Berlin. Truth is Bolt could easily find a way to face off against Gay if he wanted to himself. Here we had to perfect opportunity. Both Gay and Bolt will be in Brussels competing. Should Bolt be afraid of anyone right now? Of course not.......so I can't quite figure out why he wants to skip the rematch with Gay for the 200m where we all know he is going to win by 5+ meters. Maybe he is just so tired right now that he would rather run the "safest" race. The right decision would be to run the 100m against Gay and Powell. Sorry, but this is a disappointing move by Bolt.
                        Maybe Bolt doesn't know this. You know things can change pretty quickly over week or two as we have seen.

I'm not disappointed by Bolt's move, him, his coach, and his management obviously saw fit for him to compete in the 200 for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
                          Agreed. Except for the disappointing part. I think he is doing the safe thing. But even then how do we know that Gay isn't the one who decided to do whichever event Bolt wasn't doing? Remember, Bolt already ran a 100m and Gay is the one they are saying is being advised not to run the 200... was he supposed to run the 200m in Brussels and pulled out?

Comment

Originally posted by mor'fiyah
                            Perhaps its some of what everyone is stating. It makes economical sense to compete in Grand Prix's that you have the most chance of winning because of the jackpot. It also makes economical sense to pay less money for one of the premier athletes rather than HUGE appearance fees for two. In addition, its strategic to not give your competition any kind of mental edge against you or allow yourself any kind of discouragement by racing against your main rival and losing. Factor all of that into the suspense and anxiety marketing ploy of having to wait for a big meet to see the two main guys battle it out and you can see why you never see both in the same race at the same time. As GH said... the stars kind of have to align.

That said, its not all together wrong to say that Gay would rather not run against Bolt in a grand prix because of the psychological and economical effects of losing to him too many times in small meaningless meets.
                            Gay has nothing to lose from racing Bolt now. If he loses, so what? He proves that he's better than every human on the planet except one?

Bolt, on the other hand, is the one with something to lose. He has a perfect, unbeaten season, something he didn't have last year. I'm sure it's important for him to maintain the aura of invincibility, if not for himself than for the non-track media. It was a bigger deal when Phelps lost than when he won, and the same would be true of Bolt.

He's hopefully tired, and more vulnerable to defeat and Gay is still the biggest threat to him.

As far as switching, it is Bolt who has switched from the 100m to the 200m in Brussels. The AP article says that the "planned showdown between Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay" won't happen, and that Gay "will not switch from the 100m" meaning that they were both on the preliminary list for the 100m, but Bolt and his team have opted for the 200m instead. It's the smart thing for Bolt to do, but it does hint that the superhuman abilities he began to display in 2008 aren't inexhaustable.

Comment

[quote=Ned Ryerson]
                              Originally posted by "mor'fiyah":2p3dlfvm

Gay has nothing to lose from racing Bolt now. If he loses, so what? He proves that he's better than every human on the planet except one?

Bolt, on the other hand, is the one with something to lose. He has a perfect, unbeaten season, something he didn't have last year. I'm sure it's important for him to maintain the aura of invincibility, if not for himself than for the non-track media. It was a bigger deal when Phelps lost than when he won, and the same would be true of Bolt.

He's hopefully tired, and more vulnerable to defeat and Gay is still the biggest threat to him.

As far as switching, it is Bolt who has switched from the 100m to the 200m in Brussels. The AP article says that the "planned showdown between Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay" won't happen, and that Gay "will not switch from the 100m" meaning that they were both on the preliminary list for the 100m, but Bolt and his team have opted for the 200m instead. It's the smart thing for Bolt to do, but it does hint that the superhuman abilities he began to display in 2008 aren't inexhaustable.[/quote:2p3dlfvm]

Ah. Noted. Thanks for the correction. And I agree.

Comment

One Love!
                                The exact opposite argument used to be used by people accusing Edwin Moses of ducking.

I think Tyson has nothing to lose. If he could catch Bolt on an off day and get a win, it would benefit him a great deal. If he loses, oh well....status quo. No one expects him to win.

I agree with GH. It costs a lot to get these guys into the same meet, let alone the same race. Nobody is ducking.

Comment

Working...
                                X