Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The average fan looks to the Olympic as the event they associate track & field with. The powers to be know/knew this, in part why theWorld Championship was created to sort of bridge the gap between every 4 years.

One of the problems with track & field and being able to market the sport beyond the hardcore fans, is selling the format. By that I mean the many events that make up track & field, that's part of the problem too many events.

Not only are there too many events, but too many events going on simultaneously. You don''t have that with other sports. So all the PR work in the world, won't address this issue.
    on the road

Comment

A start has been condensing the formats of the Grand Prix/Invitational meets into a more presentable viewing window (2 hours) by limiting the # of events present'd.

While not equating the NCAA Champs with the Grand Prix meets, that format seem'd to work in terms of presentation for both fans as well as TV.

I see more meets revamping their event format to keep bodies in the seats, but that's just one aspect of making the sport more palatable and fan-friendly for the general public as opposed to the hardcore track nut.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
        A start has been condensing the formats of the Grand Prix/Invitational meets into a more presentable viewing window (2 hours) by limiting the # of events present'd.

While not equating the NCAA Champs with the Grand Prix meets, that format seem'd to work in terms of presentation for both fans as well as TV.

I see more meets revamping their event format to keep bodies in the seats, but that's just one aspect of making the sport more palatable and fan-friendly for the general public as opposed to the hardcore track nut.
        I personally don't like the current format of the NCAA meet. Simply because its doesnt allow for proper rest for the 4x4 and the don't televise the 4x1. ops:

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track

I personally don't like the current format of the NCAA meet. Simply because its doesnt allow for proper rest for the 4x4 and the don't televise the 4x1. ops:
          Blame TV...they pretty much call the shots with the schedule.

Comment

ndamix....as PR is considered, I know this discussion has taken place in the past as well, making PED's legal. If the current format cannot be or isn't adopted to attract more fans, than the status quo remains.

Track may have to go the way of WWE/WWF wrestling, we see the popularity in that sport.
            on the road

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
              @BCBaroo-

You have to have a product people want, in order to dump millions of dollars into a promotional campaign (atleast the one track and field needs). The way the sport is setup, its not particularly fan friendly, its more athlete friendly. There are lot's of people who attend track meets and only come to watch 3 or maybe four events, I have always been an advocate of making professional track more 'team' oriented.

This would make sprint/distance/throws/jumps fans pay more attention other aspects of the spot. We need more HIGH profile meets in the states, and they need to condense the meets..........3 hours is way to long.

Just a couple my thoughts. I have more.
              Perhaps we need to think more out of the box. Or stadium.

Look at the london 150 meter dash or street vaults...village shot puts. Etc...

More festivals than meets.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                ndamix....as PR is considered, I know this discussion has taken place in the past as well, making PED's legal. If the current format cannot be or isn't adopted to attract more fans, than the status quo remains.

Track may have to go the way of WWE/WWF wrestling, we see the popularity in that sport.
                Given the current state of the sport and, particular with all the rumors & innuendo flying around concerning who is or who isn't using PEDs, I believe it would behoove the sports decision makers to consider legalization.

I know I'll probably get 1000 folks jumping down my throat for having said that. However, when considering the precarious position the sport is in relative to the PED question and if one looks @ other sports that are emesh'd in PED dilemmas of their own, I really believe it's something that needs to be seriously consider'd.

PEDs haven't had the type of impact on some of these other sports they way it has on T&F and I believe it all has to do with public perception believing that elite athletes have to utilize some type of enhancement to keep on doing what they're doing. PEDs hasn't hurt WWE's, football's, cycling, or baseball's images. The fanbase has not been adversely affect'd. Why are we saying that it would be adversely affect'd if PEDs were legalized for T&F?

The sport would be seriously setback given the current rules & regulations in place and a PED scandal would break.

Just my two cents.... :wink:

Comment

Given the current state of the sport and, particular with all the rumors & innuendo flying around concerning who is or who isn't using PEDs, I believe it would behoove the sports decision makers to consider legalization.

I know I'll probably get 1000 folks jumping down my throat for having said that. However, when considering the precarious position the sport is in relative to the PED question and if one looks @ other sports that are emesh'd in PED dilemmas of their own, I really believe it's something that needs to be seriously consider'd.

PEDs haven't had the type of impact on some of these other sports they way it has on T&F and I believe it all has to do with public perception believing that elite athletes have to utilize some type of enhancement to keep on doing what they're doing. PEDs hasn't hurt WWE's, football's, cycling, or baseball's images. The fanbase has not been adversely affect'd. Why are we saying that it would be adversely affect'd if PEDs were legalized for T&F?

The sport would be seriously setback given the current rules & regulations in place and a PED scandal would break.

I am not sure why you think PEDs hasn't hurt sports like baseball? It most certainly has hurt baseball with every record in the past 10 years being almost written off because of their current drug scandal. Because of PED speculation Lance Armstrong's name comes with an asterisk and just ask the cycle fans what PED usage has done to the image of their sport. Team sports like basketball and football are somewhat lmore immune to the same disease because of the strategic nature of those sports relying less and less on the brute force of one individual athlete.

Comment

Agreed.....also we know that PEDs are around in track & field, have been around for many years and truly won't be leaving. So with that being part of the landscape of the sport, and running the risk of having another big star busted and doing more damage control to a sport, that can ill afford more damage.

It's time to go that route, legalize PEDs, level the playing field, give the fans what they have become accustomed to.
                    on the road

Comment

Originally posted by mor'fiyah

I am not sure why you think PEDs hasn't hurt sports like baseball? It most certainly has hurt baseball with every record in the past 10 years being almost written off because of their current drug scandal. Because of PED speculation Lance Armstrong's name comes with an asterisk and just ask the cycle fans what PED usage has done to the image of their sport. Team sports like basketball and football are somewhat lmore immune to the same disease because of the strategic nature of those sports relying less and less on the brute force of one individual athlete.

DOn't want to derail this thread, but basell attendance, ratings, and revenues have not decline even with PED scandals. Last time they decline was during a lockout or strike.

America's pasttime will never be writtten off. If you think folk care about PEDs , just look at how Manny Ramirez is treated after he tested positive (his LA jersey sales went up).

If folks want to put their head in the sand and ignore what is clearly a problem, rather than make some tough hard decisions, thats fine, but we should mask the problem with excuses, JMHO.

Comment

I'm almost there as well, and it's a shame.

My favorite spectator sport has an obvious PED issue (NFL). I still love it. I know the score.

I'd still watch T & F knowing everying/everything was on the table. Heck, all the men's Field records date to the mid-90s or earlier.
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

As Nik has pointed out in one of his post in this thread..
                          nbonaddio wrote:
                          I don't think it's necessarily a PR problem. To me, the problem stems from the inability of the average viewer to believe any of the performances they're seeing due to the history of doping, as well as the lack of true star power outside of Bolt.
                          The perception is there already about PEDs. We know what happens in our sport, the headline news is after someone was busted, not because of what is in place to prevent them from cheating.

Simply remove the dark cloud that is over the head of the sport, legalize PEDs.
                          on the road

Comment

[quote=guruof track]
                            Originally posted by "mor'fiyah":2uq41l3k

DOn't want to derail this thread, but basell attendance, ratings, and revenues have not decline even with PED scandals. Last time they decline was during a lockout or strike.

America's pasttime will never be writtten off. If you think folk care about PEDs , just look at how Manny Ramirez is treated after he tested positive (his LA jersey sales went up).

If folks want to put their head in the sand and ignore what is clearly a problem, rather than make some tough hard decisions, thats fine, but we should mask the problem with excuses, JMHO.[/quote:2uq41l3k]

But thats a different dynamic altogether. But Manny Ramirez was suspended and is now subject to incredible scrutiny with regards to what he might be putting in his body. Just look at cases like Mullings and soon Justin Gatlin. Prior positive test results, suspensions, and yet they will come back and run and be supported. In other words I don't think the other sports are as immune as you guys say they are. All throughout track and fields drug scandals have we seen uniform drop off in fan participation etc. The shadow of PEDs is still considerable large in track and field and yet we may be seeing the blossoming of a world giant in Usain Bolt no?

Comment

What will invariably happen is this, to keep of with the likes of a Bolt, you (his competition) will have to be on something just to give yourself at shot at being competitive.

I know after seeing the times he just ran in Berlin, I would've sought some PEDs the next week.
                              on the road

Comment

I don't think the drop off is from PEDs, thats my thing. I think its from lack of household names and characters. Usain Bolt has flare about himself, the other sprinters, not so much.

When you look at sprinters int he past they had major personalities, Mo Greene, Ato Bolden, Carl Lewis, Marion Jones, Donovan Bailey, Marie Jose Perec. Those personalities are missing right now. Its not PEDs and the scandals IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X