Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt and Bekele

From AP:

Who is track's greatest runner? Long-distance star Kenenisa Bekele wonders what it would be like to race sprinting great Usain Bolt.

"If Usain agrees, if someone wants to organize this, I am ready," Bekele said Thursday, a day before the Memorial Van Damme Golden League meet.

The idea would be to find a middle ground – between 600 and 800 meters.
    That would be AMAZING.

Bekele said the same thing to Sean Hartnett on a T&FN video after his 5000 win in Berlin (and I noted it on the forum). Speculation among our beer drinking crew in Berlin was that you'd probably have to drop to 600 and possibly 550 for Bolt to have a real shot at Bekele. At 800 Bolt would get his lunch eaten.

Comment

I am willing to donate a month's salary to this fine, fine cause.

Mostly because I think it'll showcase how good Bekele really is - and it would be quite the sight, anyhow. Bolt has a good foot on Bekele...I imagine the race would look somewhat like Geb running down Mottram.

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
        Bekele said the same thing to Sean Hartnett on a T&FN video after his 5000 win in Berlin (and I noted it on the forum). Speculation among our beer drinking crew in Berlin was that you'd probably have to drop to 600 and possibly 550 for Bolt to have a real shot at Bekele. At 800 Bolt would get his lunch eaten.
        I agree... seeing as the 400 is already pushing it endurance wise for most sprinters. Its obviously easier for an endurance runner to drop distance off his event and compete than it is for a sprinter to add distance to theirs.

Comment

I'm going with Bolt, remember he's the greatest athlete.
          on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
            I'm going with Bolt, remember he's the greatest athlete.
            haha.

anything 600 and up wouldnt even be a race for bekele.
            They would have to do 500, and even then bolt would probably still loose.

Comment

Assuming no special training, Bolt would not have a chance at 800m, 4 x times his furthest racing distance. It would be fun and games for Bolt until the backstretch on the last lap.
              phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                Assuming no special training, Bolt would not have a chance at 800m, 4 x times his furthest racing distance. It would be fun and games for Bolt until the backstretch on the last lap.
                Maybe Bekele could taunt him down the homestretch..

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
                  We would need a serie of races to find out where the point is that the difference between them is less then 0.2 of a second.

Comment

Originally posted by nbonaddio
                    Bolt going out in 46 for that 1st 400m and will make Bekele make a decision. :shock:
                    on the road

Comment

Bolt going out in 46 for that 1st 400m and will make Bekele make a decision. :shock:
                      Bolt going out in 46 would be the best possible news for Bek. Bek would run his own race, which is to complete the entire distance as fast as possible. Bek 53/54 1:47..... Bolt 46/66 1:52 :P
                      phsstt!

Comment

I heard that Usain ran once 800 in HS, and his PB is 1.53.xx if my memory don't fail(said by glen Mills)

Now, i assume he could improve to 1.49,xx

Comment

And I suspect Bekele could run 1:47 in his sleep.

Comment

Bolt going out in 46 would be the best possible news for Bek. Bek would run his own race, which is to complete the entire distance as fast as possible. Bek 53/54 1:47..... Bolt 46/66 1:52 :P
                            Bolt coming home in a 50
                            on the road

Comment

Bolt coming home in a 50
                              I would love to see Bolt run 1:36.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X