Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrific run by Tegenkamp, 12:58.56. Two great times in a week, but does anyone believe our guys can ever beat the Africans in a big meet? Don't mean to be negative, as these were some very special times and it's been a long time since Bob Kennedy (which the Italian announcers referred to as Robert Kennedy!); still, it seems that about all we can hope for is to put a couple of guys into a World's or Olympic final which they have virtually no chance of winning. I guess that's better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
      "He runs 12:58.56, does Tegenkamp."

My God, it's Rawson with a British accent.
      That appalling slur will not be forgotten!

Great to see two Americans go sub-13 in the same week...

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
        Terrific run by Tegenkamp, 12:58.56. Two great times in a week, but does anyone believe our guys can ever beat the Africans in a big meet? Don't mean to be negative, as these were some very special times and it's been a long time since Bob Kennedy (which the Italian announcers referred to as Robert Kennedy!); still, it seems that about all we can hope for is to put a couple of guys into a World's or Olympic final which they have virtually no chance of winning. I guess that's better than nothing.
        Teg missed by a mere 0.03 in 2007, certainly that counts. Bekele is the big hurdle; without him the race plays out differently and differences to the others is not too big.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
          Originally posted by Smoke
          Alright Tegs!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 Americans under 13 in the same season. we only had one ever!
          Ahem.
          12:58.21 Bob Kennedy (Nik) 08/14/96
          12:59.22 Bernard Lagat (Nike) 07/28/06
          all US sub 13:00
          • 12:56.27 Dathan Ritzenhein 3 Zürich 28.08.2009
            12:58.21 Bob Kennedy 5 Zürich 14.08.1996
            12:58.56 Matt Tegenkamp 7 Bruxelles 04.09.2009
            12:58.75 Bob Kennedy 2 Stockholm 08.07.1996
            12:59.22 Bernard Lagat 1 London 28.07.2006
            12:59.29 Bernard Lagat 1 Berlin 04.09.2005

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
            Originally posted by Smoke
            Alright Tegs!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 Americans under 13 in the same season. we only had one ever!
            Ahem.
            12:58.21 Bob Kennedy (Nik) 08/14/96
            12:59.22 Bernard Lagat (Nike) 07/28/06

Comment

Seven under 13 minutes and PBs for 5 of the 7:

1 BEKELE, Kenenisa ETH 12:55.31
              2 MERGA, Imane ETH PB 12:55.66
              3 CHEPKOK, Vincent KEN PB 12:55.98
              4 ABDOSH, Ali ETH PB 12:56.53
              5 BETT, Josphat KEN PB 12:57.43
              6 EBUYA, Joseph KEN SB 12:58.16
              7 TEGENKAMP, Matt USA PB 12:58.56

Comment

Congrats to Matt Tegenkamp . Two sub 13 minutes in a week.. Great stuff.

And they managed it without the assistance of UKA and their endurance Director, advisor, co-ordinator, etc

What does it say about the higly over rated Mo Farah with another poor effort, 13.22 and bits. All that high altitude training and avoiding Trials and refusing to represent GB at World Cross country. Perhaps next year he will stop over estimating himself and run a bit more on the country or whatever he needs to do

Comment

Now if we could get just a small overall percentage of high school kids to really give the sport a whirl, as in distance running, imagine what we could have. That, and instill confidence in them instead of the constant negative bombardment from most "mainstream" sources that tell certain people they can't do this, can't keep up, can't succeed. Way to go Teg.

Comment

Nice to see "72" get behind and really support the best British 5000m runner since Jack Buckner there. :roll: I wonder how much the fall in Gateshead on Monday took out of Mo Farah? Obviously his heart wasn't in it today.

I'm so pleased for Matt Tegenkamp. Along with Craig Mottram, he and Ritzenhein are definitely showing that Western runners can overcome the mythical unbeatability of African distance runners and at least mix it with the best in the world. As a poster above says, if you take Bekele and Gebrselassie out of the mix it's all starting to look at lot closer. It is possible to compete with the Africans!

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
                      Seven under 13 minutes and PBs for 5 of the 7:

1 BEKELE, Kenenisa ETH 12:55.31
                      2 MERGA, Imane ETH PB 12:55.66
                      3 CHEPKOK, Vincent KEN PB 12:55.98
                      4 ABDOSH, Ali ETH PB 12:56.53
                      5 BETT, Josphat KEN PB 12:57.43
                      6 EBUYA, Joseph KEN SB 12:58.16
                      7 TEGENKAMP, Matt USA PB 12:58.56
                      Merga looked capable of a lot more, but probably negotiated a nice "bonus"!

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
                        Nice to see "72" get behind and really support the best British 5000m runner since Jack Buckner there. :roll: I wonder how much the fall in Gateshead on Monday took out of Mo Farah? Obviously his heart wasn't in it today.

I'm so pleased for Matt Tegenkamp. Along with Craig Mottram, he and Ritzenhein are definitely showing that Western runners can overcome the mythical unbeatability of African distance runners and at least mix it with the best in the world. As a poster above says, if you take Bekele and Gebrselassie out of the mix it's all starting to look at lot closer. It is possible to compete with the Africans!
                        I've never doubted that others could compete with the East (and North) Africans. They have an incredibly deep talent pool, but the fact is the US (and Europe's) potential pools of talent are made even smaller by kids with talent doing other things or nothing at all, never even considering the sport. I found out I was decent in a PE class. These days many schools have dropped PE, for PC reasons in many of those cases. This article with Deiter Hogen, a coach who has worked with Europeans and E. Africans is very interesting: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=16668

It'll be interesting to see if Ritz and Teg posting true world class times over the 5k will lead to heightened interest in distance running in the US by high schoolers etc. never mind an overall improvement in performances from our top guys from 800 - 10k. (I think Symmonds getting out there and busting a 1:43 will open some guys eyes as well) I hate to summon the name of Webb, but I fervently hope that him seeing this while getting ready to work with Alberto puts him on track mentally to fulfill potential that showed he is capable of winning a medal at the highest levels of the sport.

I did not see today's 5k - the feed cut out! But people on the net are saying Teg possibly cost himself a few seconds by consciously staying at the back of the pack "no matter what", even when the pace apparently slowed to 65 or so three laps from the finish. If you did see the race, what's your take on this?

Roberto's editorial in this months's TafNews had some interesting comments that tie in with this, not the least of which was him pointing out, again, that distance runners in Europe, overall, can't even match the times posted by their predecessors 20 - 25 - 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
                          Congrats to Matt Tegenkamp . Two sub 13 minutes in a week.. Great stuff.

And they managed it without the assistance of UKA and their endurance Director, advisor, co-ordinator, etc

What does it say about the higly over rated Mo Farah with another poor effort, 13.22 and bits. All that high altitude training and avoiding Trials and refusing to represent GB at World Cross country. Perhaps next year he will stop over estimating himself and run a bit more on the country or whatever he needs to do
                          You obviously have some sort of vendetta against Mo. One quarter of your posts on this forum have been some sort of criticism against him and you had the temerity to criticise his performance in Gateshead, even though you didn't bother watching the race to see he was clipped and fell. :roll:
                          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

all-time U.S. list:

1. 12:56.27 Dathan Ritzenhein (Nike) 8/28/09
                            2. 12:58.21 Bob Kennedy (Nike) 8/14/96
                            3. 12:58.56 Matt Tegenkamp (Nike) 9/04/09
                            4. 12:59.22 Bernard Lagat (Nike) 7/28/06
                            5. 13:01.15 Sydney Maree (Puma) 7/27/85
                            6. 13:10.00 Adam Goucher (Nike) 7/22/06
                            7. 13:10.86 Alan Webb (Nike) 9/04/05
                            8. 13:11.77 Meb Keflezighi (Nike) 8/05/00
                            —— Tim Broe (adidas) 7/29/05
                            10. 13:11.93 Alberto Salazar (Athletics West) 7/06/82
                            Anthony Famiglietti (adidas) 4/13/07

Comment

Most sub 13 all-time
                              • Kenenisa Bekele 20 (1 indoors)
                                Haile Gebrselassie 18 (2)
                                Benjamin Limo 13
                                Daniel Komen 12 (1)
                                Salah Hissou 11
                                Sammy Kipketer 11
                                Eliud Kipchoge 10

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
                                if i recall correctly we hadone of our guys leading the world champs 5k with less than 100 meters to go 2 weeks ago in the 2009 berlin world championships.

true we have not had a world or olympic 5k champion since let me think, way back 2 years ago in 2007.

Comment

Working...
                                X