Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doug091463
    Originally posted by bruce3404
    Terrific run by Tegenkamp, 12:58.56. Two great times in a week, but does anyone believe our guys can ever beat the Africans in a big meet? Don't mean to be negative, as these were some very special times and it's been a long time since Bob Kennedy (which the Italian announcers referred to as Robert Kennedy!); still, it seems that about all we can hope for is to put a couple of guys into a World's or Olympic final which they have virtually no chance of winning. I guess that's better than nothing.
    if i recall correctly we hadone of our guys leading the world champs 5k with less than 100 meters to go 2 weeks ago in the 2009 berlin world championships.

true we have not had a world or olympic 5k champion since let me think, way back 2 years ago in 2007.
    Possibly he's excluding imported Kenyans from his assessment.

Comment

Terrific run by Tegenkamp, 12:58.56. Two great times in a week, but does anyone believe our guys can ever beat the Africans in a big meet? Don't mean to be negative, as these were some very special times and it's been a long time since Bob Kennedy (which the Italian announcers referred to as Robert Kennedy!); still, it seems that about all we can hope for is to put a couple of guys into a World's or Olympic final which they have virtually no chance of winning. I guess that's better than nothing.

Did you take a 3 week nap recently?

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
        Originally posted by tandfman
        "He runs 12:58.56, does Tegenkamp."

My God, it's Rawson with a British accent.
        That appalling slur will not be forgotten!

Great to see two Americans go sub-13 in the same week...
        Appalling slur ? Coming from someone who, on another recent thread, accused an innocent poster asking a naive question about Melaine Walker's post-Berlin performance drop of "staggering ignorance" ? Actually I totally agree on that one (what did Walker have left to prove ?), but I'm not sure I would have phrased it that way for fear of being bounced by a recently trigger-happy gh

Comment

Who'd have thunk it that Mr. Tegenkamp would eventually be as fast around the oval as Mr. Aouita? And that Mr. Ritzenhein would be faster? Different times, different eras, but the clocks have stopped where they have. Fast-forward Mr. Aouita a generation, and he's in the 12'30s to low 12'40s, anyway.
          Fire Impossible.

Comment

Nevetslim

I know you and your hero worshiping of athletes on this Forum and others. .

Farah is not important enough to me and I dont do vendettas. So don't talk nonsense.

Farah is over rated by some , and constantly disappoints me, but you and a few posters think that the purpose of Forums is purely to heap so called 'positive 'praise on all athletes from ones own country at all times.

Mind you , you are an AW writer, I understand. !!!

A quarter of my posts , silly man. I have written less than ten.But I have read a heck of a lot of your ''aren't I a heck of a guy cos I've got lots of Stats knowledge''

Farah spends too much time not racing the top men when it counts; spends too much time avoiding racing cross country at the very top level such as the World Champs,twice in a row in 2008 and 2009; being excused running at Trials in the 5k when he could strut his stuff ,as he has to rush off to Font Remeu or wherever.

Talking tactics, the last few times I have seen him in big races (not the Euro rubbish 5ks so beloved of people like you) he automatically ran at or near the back through lack of confidence or silly advice, ready to unleash his fearsome sprint ,but the trouble is he is not as fast as other Africans in the last lap, but he thinks he is.
            Trouble with poor Mo is he believes what the Brendan Fosters and others at the BBC keep telling him.

You and others were expecting, both last year at the OG and this year after his low 8.30s, that Farah was a new confident man. Oh yeah. :cry: :cry:

He fell at Gateshead . I know, but I did not watch the 'winter' Gateshead stuff , the ultimate anti climax after Berlin. He fell at the Indoors once before . Better be careful otherwise he will get into the habit. You are supposed to stay on your feet.
            Abdosh, I believe, fell in Berlin and here he is running a nice cosy 12.56.

Always an excuse for Mo Farah, despite his being tanked last year in 17th place at an earlier Euro Meet and now after his busy ,busy season of training he runs 13.22.

How lucky for Mo that the WC/OG only allows a limited number of East Africans

I am waiting for Mo Farah to win a race against top opposition in 13mins or less and then I will say well done Mo. Don't hold your breath

Your expertise is largely based on endless regurgitation of Stats from books but judgement is also valid, Nevetslim. Proto journalists should remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by EZSum
              Originally posted by doug091463
              if i recall correctly we hadone of our guys leading the world champs 5k with less than 100 meters to go 2 weeks ago in the 2009 berlin world championships.

true we have not had a world or olympic 5k champion since let me think, way back 2 years ago in 2007.
              Possibly he's excluding imported Kenyans from his assessment.
              In a sense, all American athletes are imported unless he/she is a Native American. By the way, I always hear talk of trying beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians, but aren't most of the elite distance runners from the Great Rift Valley? I once heard an announcer say that over 90% of Kenya's elite runners come from this region which comprised less than 10% of its population. What would you call a person from this region, a Great Rift Valleyan or a Great Rifter?

Comment

Originally posted by Madd Marine
                Now if we could get just a small overall percentage of high school kids to really give the sport a whirl, as in distance running, imagine what we could have.
                Already happening. For approximately two decades, 16:59 put you between 8th and 10th in our conference XC meet (on the same course every year, so no variance there). Last year it put you 20th, and it looks like this year it will put you between 25th and 30th.

Comment

72 / scoe / bennyg / roseben ( I know you like to go under many different names ) no doubt because people disregard your posts because you actually seem to know very little about the sport, with your blinkered view coming only from your armchair...

You actually can't seem to handle people having a different opinion to you, and for some reason that seems to kill you, because you can only then rely on insults. You have already been banned on here before for talking utter rubbish. I wonder who is more widely respected on here, you or nevets....

It is not about heaping praise on Mo Farah, its about actually acknowledging that he is actually a pretty damn good athlete.

You criticise Mo for not being as good as the Kenyans / Ethiopians, but then criticise him again for when he goes and trains with them at places like Font Romeau ??

You have no idea what Mo Farah does or doesn't believe because you have never ever spoken to him, and yet you feel you can talk on his behalf, what rubbish...
                  You manage to have another stab at him when he was unlucky to fall mid way during a race, he's fallen about twice during his races from what i can remember, hardly a habit. And in both he got up straight away and finished...

The Americans you mentioned may have run sub 13, but they still can't win the top races against the Africans opposition so far.

Mo has shown glimpses this season, through his races indoors and outdoors that he is capable of being right up there. He beat Tegenkamp at Berlin and Abdosh was less than a second ahead of him at the Worlds.

Judgement is valid like you say, unfortunately you are lacking.

Comment

Solinsky DNF. Any interviews w/Teg post-race?

Comment

It's funny how I get called a 'silly man' from someone who was recently moaning about the bad manners of certain posters. Total hypocrisy.
                      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

"In a sense, all American athletes are imported unless he/she is a Native American. By the way, I always hear talk of trying beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians, but aren't most of the elite distance runners from the Great Rift Valley? I once heard an announcer say that over 90% of Kenya's elite runners come from this region which comprised less than 10% of its population. What would you call a person from this region, a Great Rift Valleyan or a Great Rifter?"

If (like me) you're European you can call them whatever you like because they're so far ahead they can't hear you.

Comment

Originally posted by EZSum
                          "In a sense, all American athletes are imported unless he/she is a Native American. By the way, I always hear talk of trying beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians, but aren't most of the elite distance runners from the Great Rift Valley? I once heard an announcer say that over 90% of Kenya's elite runners come from this region which comprised less than 10% of its population. What would you call a person from this region, a Great Rift Valleyan or a Great Rifter?"
                          Kalenjin.

Comment

72...you may be completely right on everything you said, but the tone in which you said it wasn't. I think we ought to enjoy participating on this board without sounding superior and being critical of another poster.

Comment

Working...
                            X