Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Par for Webb:s Course

Ryun had a nation backing him along his journey, but stabbed him in the back when he failed to meet their expectations. I feel Webb is in the same boat: we have high expectations of the guy due to one race he ran as a high schooler... a time of his life when he was his friends were more into dropping stink bombs in the restrooms than they were about making Olympic teams. We just need to give Webb time, space and a playing field to enjoy growth and development. Webb will grow into himself as a human being; he is in his very early 20s, and has so much to learn on and off the track.

I think we will see a focused and polished A.W. once he matures and grows personally.

Comment

No, it's far too much to say that "the nation stabbed [Ryun] in the back..." Disappointment, yes, but that's it. Were you alive and following the sport in 1965-72??? And, as for Webb, few of us anymore have "high expectations" for him. He's succeeded in dropping our expectation level just about to zero.

Comment

Mr. Kuha- A rather flippant use of the word "zero." I think zero would be sitting at the computer ragging on everyone rather than out there giving it a go and being mildly more sucessful this year than last, if only on the national scene. If the boy never improves, he is still much much better than "zero."
        Please try to be a bit more positive and forgiving everyone!

Comment

"Flippant?" Yes, probably so. Guilty as charged. I stand by my comments above, from 8 hours ago. The Webb mania is just tiresome. I wish him well and would love to see him do great things, but this collective fixation on him is just nutty. He's a decent national-class runner now, that's it.

Comment

This statement: "He [Ryun] returned home to criticism in a nation that had long tended to view the second-place finisher as the 'first loser'," seems to play more into Ryun being a loser in the fans eyes than he ever could have been a winner. Gone - with the absense of gold - were the fans exultations, hopes, expectations and praise; there was no "thanks for all you ve done so far, and better luck next time".

Over time, if AW can win some, and be gracious in those "also ran, also competed" type of finishes, I think we will see a mature man meet his own expectations of being the best he could possibly be.

Comment

1968 was a far different world than 2004.....

First, there was significantly greater interest in track and field, I can recollect ABC Wide World of Sports doing all sorts of track coverage.

and I recollect the trials up at altitude.

Ryun has a TON more pressure to succeed...
              the mentality in 1968 was the ONLY medal which counted was GOLD...

If it wasn't GOLD then SILVER was like NO medal...

get a bronze and the general public said so what...

I was 14 then, and that's my recollection of the time.

Those days are gone NEVER to recurr.....

One can hope t&f has a rebirth....

Comment

>"Flippant?" Yes, probably so. Guilty as charged. I stand by my comments
                >above, from 8 hours ago. The Webb mania is just tiresome.>

In the negative sense I agree. The negative fixation on him is remarkable. When he runs a decent race you don't hear much about it - certainly less than you hear when he doesn't live up to expectations.

It makes me wonder if a lot of the posts on this board and other boards are generated from one or two pockets of posters who for some reason feel jilted by his leaving Michigan. By that I don't mean all of the posts are coming from Michigan, simply that he is out of the NCAA.

Comment

Funny how this dead horse just won't move...

EPelle: I'd like to know where your quote came from. It certainly reflects one perspective on the Ryun situation, but cannot be taken as historical gospel.

HelenS: On thinking about it, I realize that my "zero" expectation for Webb is in fact the BEST thing I could do for him. Why? Because, in my eyes, he can ONLY succeed--he can NEVER fail. If my expectations are low, then he can NEVER disappoint me. If he does well, we all cheer. If he doesn't, no big deal. He will not have hurt or disillusioned me in the slightest. My act--which you interpret so negatively--is actually a kind of free pass. He's free to do whatever he does, without any pressure from me at all. Who could ask for more?

Comment

I too, would like to know where that quote came from. While it is true he did not get a parade down 5th avenue in 68, he wasn't exactly completely forgotten and run out of town. Ryun's race against Liquori in 1971 had a large media following. Also there was a large amount of public support when he made the 72 team. And finally he was one of the stars for the short-lived ITA in the early 70's. Ryun even made a TV pizza commercial!

Comment

Let Alan Webb develop at his own level. He probably never will be at the level of Ryun and Scott. If he runs a 3:35 this year that will be great. He doesn't seem to have the kick anymore to be considered a 3:30 - 3:34 threat.

In case anyone didn't notice Webb is the US miler leader so far this year.

Is Krummenacker still considering doubling in both the 800 and 1500 this Olympics.

Comment

I too recall no hullabaloo when Ryun finished 2nd in Mexico City, given that 1) he lost to a great runner 2) that runner was from and trained at altitude, 3) the race itselfof course was at altitude 4) Ryun was never completely recovered from Mono and 5) last but not least Ryun ran a great race... Keino just ran a super-great race.

Comment

I agree completely with the qualification that Ryun ran a great, amazing, and courageous race. Keino ran one that was just out of this world (and which he never came close to repeating).

Comment

My recollection about the Keino Ryun encounter is a bit hazy..

Wasn't there another KEnyan in the race who went out at a suicide pace for keino??

If so, who was he...??

Comment

Ben Jipcho. In the ca. 1974 period, he was one of the top contenders to break 3:50. He had a couple great runs at the '74 Commonwealth Games...a great talent lost prematurely to the Pro Circuit.

Comment

Quote from www.kuhistory.com

http://www.kuhistory.com/proto/story.asp?id=75

Comment

Working...
                                X