X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15mph
    replied
    Re: Par for Webb:s Course

Gruber does not even have the Olympic B standard yet. So even if he did finish in the top three at the trials he may still not be going to the Olympics. Some how Gruber is going to have to find a way to run between 3:36.20 and 3:37.50 by mid summer. These past world indoor games where a setback for Gruber. Myers faired a bit better, but still did not make the finals.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Fast enough? I posted earlier that my old roommate placed 2nd in the US Olympic Trials in 1996. He qualified with a 3.39 pre- and post-OT PR by being able to kick with the others, dig deeper than all but one, and being able to hold on when he tired ... all off "slow" tactical racing and a big last 800m.

It wouldn t surprise me one bit if Gruber challenges for one of the top spots, as all of the finalists will be vying for an OG spot, and he has shown he can handle running in tough USA meets.

Leave a comment:

• 15mph
    replied

That just illustrates how bad Webb was at that time. Gruber will probably not make the Olympic team. He is just not fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Yes, Gruber beat Webb (decisively) last April at the Kansas Relays in a 4:04 mile. While it was windy and cool, the time was obviously nothing to brag about by either of them.

Leave a comment:

• 15mph
    replied

Gruber won't make it past the semis at the Olympic trials eitehr. He is strickly semi-pro.

This is the guy that beat Webb several times during the past few years.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

I am not bashing the Americans... I think they need to discover and employ tactics that work on an international level - rather than use the ones which won many of them NCAA-level competitions but nothing more.

Leave a comment:

• 15mph
    replied

Is this the worse showing ever by US distance runners in major international competition.

It gets worse ever year. At least Torres made the finals last year.

Plan it on the Farm Team and the USATF.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Michael Stember, men’s 800m semifinal (1:48.68): “I decided to kind of hold back a bit, because yesterday I made the mistake of going out too fast, with [Osmar Barbosa] Dos Santos [of Brazil]. I just didn’t have the zip I expected. You learn. If I had to do it all over, I would have done what I did yesterday. I got back there, and just never felt part of the race. I love kicking from 300 meters out, but at this level, everybody has good, strong speed. I put too much emphasis on that [his kick].”

CASE CLOSED! AW AND ALL OTHERS: LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS!

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Gruber died outright when the pace picked up. Your other guy did ok; was up with lead pack, got dropped, fought back and ran decently.

Leave a comment:

• 15mph
    replied

Since they are always running from the back of the pack US runners might as well add 10 seconds to their time before the race even starts.

This is just more failed Farm Team tactics.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

USATF ATHLETE QUOTES (WHICH YOU HAVE ALREADY READ, BUT MAKE A POINT):

Shayne Culpepper, women’s 3,000m (8:57.48Q): “I just didn’t feel good.” UNDERSTANDABLE. PERIOD.

Carrie Tollefson, women’s 3,000m (9:08.64): “I ran this way all season [kickers’ races] but today wasn’t my day. Last week I closed in 61 [seconds for the final 400]. This time I just didn’t have it the last 600. … People were stepping on each other because the pace was slow in the beginning.” IT IS HARDER TO KICK OFF A VERY SLOW PACE IF YOU ARE KICKING TO CATCH UP - RATHER THAN KICKING INTO HIGH GEAR TO FINISH. SHE HAD NOTHING IN THE TANK THE LAST 800M. YES, SHE HELD THE EARLY LEAD, BUT THE 1K AND 2K SPLITS WERE SLOW. SHE SHOWED CLASS, BUT GOT OUT-CLASSED THE FINAL 5 LAPS.

Bolota Asmerom, men’s 3,000m (7:53.86): “It was just back and forth. I just couldn’t get around the outside – I tried to stay away from traffic. It was back and forth, back and forth, and it just killed my kick.” AGAIN, IF HE HAD STAYED WITH THE LEAD PACK - EVEN ON ITS TAIL END - HE MAY HAVE AVOIDED THE INCONSISTENCY. OTHER ATHLETES WHO QUALIFIED ALSO RAN BACK AND FORTH, BUT SEVERAL OF THOSE QUALIFIED.

Jonathon Riley, men’s 3,000m (7:55.58): “It wasn’t that fast. I needed a better finish. The last 500 was really bad. There’s no reason for it. I’m in better shape than that.” JONATHAN WAS NOT NEAR THE LEADERS WHEN THEY ACCELERATED, AND GOT GAPPED. HE WAS ALREADY 6 SECONDS OUT OF IT WITH 400M REMAINING.

Derrick Peterson, men’s 800m (1:50.05): “It was just tough. I never really got in the race. I was never relaxed. This meet became better than it should have been for me. I like the moniker ‘World Championships’ get to me.” HIS STATEMENT MAKES HIM SOUND LIKE HE HAS NEVER LEFT HOME.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Some are probably trying NOT to look. But, like car wrecks, it's hard to ignore the spectacle...

Leave a comment:

• 15mph
    replied

Are we looking at the worst crop of US distance runners in decades.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

I watched the World Indoor championships live on SVT1 and SVT2 today. I think some of the Americans have the same problem as Webb on a wide-scale level. I believe they play it too safe and are too timid when it comes to sticking with the lead packs and actually racing - instead of waiting, "kicking" and hoping the leaders will come back to them.

If the American runners (mostly in general: Toomey and Stember ran with the lead packs and qualified; Culpepper ran decent and advanced, like Stember, on time) stick to the back, get gapped and then try accelerating when it is time to lay it down, they will never make it out of their heats. Most athletes at this level have kicks, so "kicking" to catch up is counter productive and will not get these athletes anywhere but on page 2 of the tv result sheets.

I was just disappointed for your other 800m guy, Tollefson and the poor woman in the 1,500m.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Quote from www.kuhistory.com

http://www.kuhistory.com/proto/story.asp?id=75

Leave a comment:

Working...
X