Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darvis Patton on the Berlin 4x100

Front page article. Brilliant statements like, "The only thing that changes is the significance of the meet, which blows everything out of proportion. If we dropped the baton at the Penn Relays or Texas Relays or Mt. SAC relays it wouldn't be an issue. It's where this is happening at. That's what brings the ‘Come on U.S.! You guys have got to get it together!'"

Well, DUH! And I'd hardly call it "out of proportion".

And, "Had I gotten out we got a medal we wouldn't be having these conversations".

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant, man!!

He also blamed the Brits for the DQ. Can't admit that they screwed up and there is work to be done.

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArti ... =204790223

The day after the relay disqualification, Benita Fitzgerald Mosley, USA Track & Field's new director of high performance, fielded questions from a select group of reporters for 15 minutes just outside of Olympic Stadium. She gave the following assessment of what went wrong with the men's relay:

"Unfortunately in this case, Darvis left a little bit late," Mosley said. "When you have a 28-setp situation and he is a couple steps late, now you're down to a 23-, 24-step difference and that wasn't enough time for Darvis to pick up enough speed and get into the zone in time for Shawn to pass it off."

Patton does not disagree with Mosley.
    This isn't exaclty an admission that they broke the rules, but they aren't denying it either. Patton;s only beef appears to be with British officials. Other than that he is shouldering the blame for the DQ.

Comment

Never mentions that he put his hand back before entering exchange zone?

Comment

Doesn't change my view on this, still sucks about what GB did, bush league :evil:
        on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
          Never mentions that he put his hand back before entering exchange zone?
          But did admit to leaving late, and if he had left on time, Shawn Crawford would not reached him before got into the zone.

Comment

All I know is that if I was or will be a coach for our Men's sprint relay team, for any meet, I would not let Darvis Patton get anywhere NEAR a baton !!!

Comment

This doesn't change my mind the IAAF JOA still blew it, either.

Comment

yeah, duke, and didn't he also take the blame for the fiasco in beijing?????

Comment

Throw one tea party and have a tiny revolution and people hold a grudge.

Snitches. :roll:
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                    Doesn't change my view on this, still sucks about what GB did, bush league :evil:
                    Why? Seems like its more bush league on the USA part for not turning themselves in and whinny about being DQ'ed. I know the Olympics are about sportmanship and fair play shouldn't the WC's follow in that model?

We screwed up, broke the rules, so accept the correct decision. :roll:

Maybe, this will start having a USA 4x100 event at the US champs and we allow the winning team to go, instead of this hodgepodge of talented runners who don't train together.

Comment

If it were a clear violation of a rule and not questionable at best, then I wouldn't take issue with it.

But as it is it seems like a desperate move to get on the medal stand.

I hope they're proud of the medal they "won." :roll:

Tea and crumpets for all! :lol:
                      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Get over it. The US broke the rules so fair is fair. Perhaps if they put a bit more practice in, things like this wouldn't happen :roll:
                        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                          Get over it. The US broke the rules so fair is fair. Perhaps if they put a bit more practice in, things like this wouldn't happen :roll:
                          Thats still debatable. Whats not debatable is the results.

Comment

Some of you just type to say things. Just because you think it does not make it true.
                            Steven the same call was made last year about practice and it is clear most of you are ignorant to the facts (redundant but said this way for clarity). Other than THIS year there was plenty of practice yet they still dropped the stick. Conversely in 2003 we had the top three not running and won the damn race with the same four guys running every round. And for you truly ignorant posters one Mr Doc Patton was on that team too.

Ask yourself, why would his lateness cause such a close call to the zone? We have seen plenty of people take off late and get run up on but never have we seen them get the stick so early (or maybe they did and the Brits were not there to eyeball it).

There's a lot of mistakes made here and the least of which were between the athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                              Conversely in 2003 we had the top three not running and won the damn race with the same four guys running every round.
                              Precisely. When four good guys/gals practice together and no substitutions are made, the chances for a mistake diminishes.
                              I don't buy the philosophy that six medals are better than four. Four is still better than none, no?

To put the blame on Doc Patton does not make much sense to me either.
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X