Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long jumpers

is stingfellow the only long jumper we have.

Re: long jumpers

don't forget stringfellow. ..won nationals by foot & a half.

Comment

Dwight, I like Dwight !

Comment

where's pate and davis

Comment

Being a former LJer, I think this is one tough event when 27' is entry-level(world class), 28' is real good(but not 'WR territory').. As an event, it is now a 'tough act to follow'. But an Olympic medal is what it is - they'll deserve their props, and I hope Athens LJ will get good tv coverage (as good as the great Sydney competition, anyway..)

Comment

>is stingfellow the only long jumper we have.

No, we also have Grace Upshaw and Marion Jones.

Comment

Ugh... please... Marion is the world's best sprinter... but a long jumper? She launches herself off the runway into the air with such awful technique that she risks life and limb every single time she long jumps. How an All-American basketball player can be so awkward is beyond comprehension. Anyway, the point is that Marion should NOT be considered a long jumper, she is merely a talented athlete who wanders over to the pit and hops about from time to time!

Comment

>Ugh... please... Marion is the world's best sprinter... but a long jumper? She
                >launches herself off the runway into the air with such awful technique that she
                >risks life and limb every single time she long jumps. How an All-American
                >basketball player can be so awkward is beyond comprehension. Anyway, the point
                >is that Marion should NOT be considered a long jumper, she is merely a talented
                >athlete who wanders over to the pit and hops about from time to time!

Hmm, where are all those great long jumbers who have jumped more than 6.75 this year? Just 4 Russian Girls.

Comment

Anyway, the point
                  >is that Marion should NOT be considered a long jumper, she is merely a talented
                  >athlete who wanders over to the pit and hops about from time to time!"

She's "hopped" 7.31m...that makes her not only a LJ-er but also one of the best ever. Doesn't matter that her technique is awful.

Comment

One person's hop is another's jump.
                    That leaves us just a step away from the hop, step, and jump.

Comment

I'm with markhj - if she can jump 22'-23', I don't care if it's after a back handspring; she's a long jumper! I consider it snobbish to insist on form. If you remember Michael Johnson when he first broke on the scene, EVERYONE said how ugly he ran. Zatopek - Fosbury! - even Bob Hayes (he's pigeon-toed!). T&F is great because style points are NOT a factor. Ya want ball room dancing - go to the Hilton.

Comment

Fosbury IMPROVED technique and Zatopek and Hayes, no matter how they looked, were obviously very efficient in what they did and produced results commensurate with their physical gifts. My annoyance with Marion is that she is horribly inefficient (IMHO she COULD jump into the 25 foot range with even average technique on the runway and at landing) so she does not vaguely approximate her potential. Also, (again IMHO) she is routinely so awful at take off and landing that on many attempts she really does endanger her career by risking injury. I believe she COULD be the greatest long jumper ever, but currently she is a dilletante.

Comment

Let's see what Dan Pfaff can get out of her LJ abilities this year. Her akward, inefficient landing has long been a mystery to me. Over the years, I have been around LJers of many levels. It is not difficult to teach a normally athletically gifted kid a superior technique than the on used by Marion.
                          If the LJ remains such a struggle this year she should forget it an go after the 400.

Comment

On Marion being a AA basketball player. I only watched her play once (her freshman year, probably the championship game, women's BB didn't get much coverage then). My impressions were, damn she's fast, but very awkward. Layups were an adventure, and she blew some bunnies. But athletic, oh my. Several rebounds and steals. Passing wasn't that great, a minus for a point guard. She was an important part of a NCCA champ team. In summary, her basketball form was about as good as her LJ form.

Comment

I've watched her run since 9th grade and she is so naturally gifted, but the basketball observations are interesting. Maybe she is simply a very strong, very quick person but very raw technically at everything... when she gets fatigued or tries too hard running, her form deteriorates very quickly. Could be she really is doing as well as she can long jumping. If so, I agree that she ought to forget it and focus on running.

Comment

Working...
                              X