Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: long jumpers

I'll try to emphasize the positive and point out that although he didn't jump especially well at USATF, it's good to see Brian Johnson competing again. Remember that his season ended last year after the Texas Relays due to injury. He's a talent.

Comment

we may need to look at some of the college youngsters........moffit etc.

Comment

YEAH, THERE'S A LOT OF GOOD COLLEGE JUMPERS

Comment

the ncaa indoor results were good... nothing startling but four jumpers bunched up in a tight competition out past 26 feet and five more between 25-26. Which ones of these guys are the most promising prospects?

Comment

I'VE SEEN THEM ALL. I'D SAY MOFFIT, ALLMOND AND MASON.

Comment

I admire all of our Longjumpers. It's a stud event. But, having said that, I hope Powell does give it a try ..and makes the team. (Hell, if he makes B standard, he should be in Athens - defending champs and wr-holders should be there, if they make b standard.) And..just to remind... JESSE OWENS' pb would've gotten him in the Sydney LJ.

Comment

A few of the collegiates have the ability to make the team. Of course Moffit, Then Allmond steps up at the big meets, and Mason Has jumped big all year he just needs to get on the board.

Comment

I WAS AT THE MEET, MOFFIT LOOKED REAL GOOD, ALLMOND HAD THE BEST SERIES, BUT IT APPEARED TO ME THAT MASON'S SCRATCHES WERE OUT THERE. HIS 5TH JUMPED LOOKED TO BE 27+ AND THAT WAS CERTAILY THE CONSENSUS OF THE AUDIENCE. I THINK ALL THREE HAVE A CHANCE, BUT I LIKE THE UP SIDE WITH THE WSU ATHLETE. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Comment

What amazes me is the low ebb for American women in the LJ right now. For a nation with such a surpluse of fast female sprinters, why is it so tough finding (or developing) a couple of world class jumpers. Of course there's Marion, (Who's Precarious form was said to have improved perceptively in Birmingham)Dawn Burrel, (still rehabing the knee) and Grace Upshaw, who had her best year ever in 03. But below that it is an achivement to see anyone over 21 feet. Right now Hyaleas Fountain looks pretty promising for the future, but like JJK, the Hep will be her prime event. Where are all the rest? (Does Jackie need to come out of retirment again!?)

Comment

I was at NCAA's this year also, and I know the crowd was amazed at a couple of Mason's jumps (5th attempt was huge) if he gets on the board I think he will make the olympic team this year.

Maybe he needs to concentrate on the Long Jump this summer and leave all those other events alone!!!

Comment

And I remember thinking when Matt Mason had his own thread that wouldn't die last fall, "Matt who?"

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... sage=17960

Comment

well archivist, I guess you see now that Mason has great talents.

Comment

To jhc68 - you think Marion can STILL be the best longjumper ever, or she COULD have been?

Marion's too 'old' to match the long jump accomplishments of Heike Drechsler, who's had a great career span of 20+ years.

I agree that it's about technique though. Marion did brilliantly well to jump 7.31 in 98, but she's NEVER won a major LJ championship she's contested, and whenever she appears to be getting the hang of her technique it just falters under pressure. Her last jump in Sydney, when taking into account the distance over the plasticine, was about 7.15, but it was out of control, so what's the point? She can't rely on chance to win, she needs to polish her technique, and to do that she needs to sacrifice much of her sprint training, which I cant see her doing.

Has anyone considered the timetable in Athens too? It's not impossible, but it's a bit tough. The LJ qualifying is a couple of hours before the 200m final. If Marion goes for 5 again, she could find herself a little tired by the 200m final, especially if she needs 3 jumps to qualify. Drechsler had the LJ final, 200m semi and 200m final in one day in Seoul which was tougher, so Marion can do it, but Marion isnt as accomplished technically and neither do I believe her to have the same stamina as the German.

If Jones's goes for 5 again, it may be a little life-line to her 200m challengers..

Comment

Olympic Women

Upshaw
                              Jones
                              Fountain

Olympic Men

Stringfellow
                              Pate
                              Mason

Comment

This Mason guy sure has a lot of fans..
                                Or has hired a PR and marketing firm or somethin:/

Comment

Working...
                                X