Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's get one thing clear: there's no such thing as a "normal" progression. Perhaps a general curve that most people follow, but people come in all sizes and styles. Jeter had a decent career as an NCAA Div. 2 athlete, and after she finished school in '03, basically retired for 3 years, running (hobbying) 11.74, 12.00 and 11.48.

Then she took up serious running again, while in what should be her peak physical years.

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
      Bolt and Fraser's progression has been highlighted so often over the last year that you had to have seen them. Their fine, and no less "out of the ordinary" than Gay or Jeter.
      Gay
      Age 20 10.27
      Age 21 none
      Age 22 10.06
      Age 23 10.08

Bolt
      Age 20 none
      Age 21 10.03
      Age 22 9.69(with 15m celebration)
      Age 23 9.58

Those are comparable how? Thats with rounding up Bolts age due to the nearness of his birthday on those performance dates.

Comment

Originally posted by ghoster
        Bolt and Fraser's progression has been highlighted so often over the last year that you had to have seen them. Their fine, and no less "out of the ordinary" than Gay or Jeter. ...Matter of fact, everyone needs to acknowledge that progression can not be compared.
        Gay
        Age 20 10.27
        Age 21 none
        Age 22 10.06
        Age 23 10.08

Bolt
        Age 20 none
        Age 21 10.03
        Age 23 9.58

Those are comparable how? Thats with rounding up Bolts age due to the nearness of his birthday on those performance dates.
        Ghoster, since you either are incapable of reading with understanding, just have an axe to grind or you truly missed it, I took the liberty of enlarging the critical part of my post that I think you purposely edited to push a faulty meme. I SPECIFICALLY said that there was no - as in zero - comparison that could be made between athletes. Do you get it now? Or are you now going to point out that Gay is not progressing fast enough?

Comment

Bolt and Fraser's progression has been highlighted so often over the last year that you had to have seen them. Their fine, and no less "out of the ordinary" than Gay or Jeter.
          Gay
          Age 20 10.27
          Age 21 none
          Age 22 10.06
          Age 23 10.08

Bolt
          Age 20 none
          Age 21 10.03
          Age 23 9.58

well at 15 he ran 20.45 and 19.93 at 17 iam sure he could a sub ten with training . Please remember bolt he that 10.03 to get on a rely.dont be surprise when he dose 42 for 400m

Comment

Wow, the hypocrisy on these boards is amazing. Chriswitt is CLEARLY suggesting that Jeter and Gay are "up to something", but when I questioned Usain Bolt during the Olympics, my post got deleted in a flash. I guess its okay to say the Americans are doing fishy things, but its a sin to suggest a Jamaican is up to no good. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Amaru523
              Wow, the hypocrisy on these boards is amazing. Chriswitt is CLEARLY suggesting that Jeter and Gay are "up to something", but when I questioned Usain Bolt during the Olympics, my post got deleted in a flash. I guess its okay to say the Americans are doing fishy things, but its a sin to suggest a Jamaican is up to no good. :roll:
              You couldnt not be more wrong, people like you question Jamaicans porgression iam just show that Americans progresion at basically the same rate or ffaster the main difference is that Jamaica superior Jr programs Jamaicans do it at a younger age (start early) ex we can fine time for bolt, fraser,stewart,powell,vb ,simspon at 15,16,17,18 we cant fine that for jeter ,gay, green,

---
              this is Jeter progression chart
              2000 11.69 -0.5 2 UNLV Inv Las Vegas NV 8 Apr
              2001 11.82 1.2 2 Cal/Nev Irvine CA 29 Apr
              2002 11.77 2.0 2 CCAA La Jolla CA 11 May
              2002 11.46w 2.8 2 NCAA-II San Angelo TX 25 May
              2003 11.43w 3.3 2r1 Northridge CA 5 Apr
              2003 11.61 0.6 3r5 MSR Walnut CA 19 Apr
              2004 11.56 0.6 3r1 SD Ch San Diego CA 17 Jun
              2005 11.72w 2.6 1 Bronco Pomona CA 26 Feb
              2005 12.00 -2.8 2 Brown Fullerton CA 12 Mar
              2006 11.48 0.0 2r1 Bush Eagle Rock CA 4 Jun
              2007 11.02 -0.2 3 WC Osaka 27 Aug
              2008 10.97 0.7 1q2 NC Eugene OR 27 Jun
              2009 10.96 0.9 1r4 MSR Walnut CA 18 Apr
              2009 10.85w 2.8 1rA Reebok New York NY 30 May

she has drop over 1 second from the earlest time on record
              so if fraser or stewart were to drop over a second off there best time at 21 to 30 as is the case with jeter that will be some time do your own math tell me what u came up with.

Comment

Chris, are you related to williamwyndhamjr by chance?

Comment

Track and field filberts get bogged down in the minutia and profession of records. It seems more fun to them than the raw analysis of actual human beings.

I think what is relevant is not the progression, but the fact that some of these athletes that had no coaching suddenly got some.

I know running lousy for 4 years and then suddenly coming around does not fit into the tidy progression tables, but a common sense approach to reality beats the dickens out of minutia and progression tables.
                  "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

"looking at jeter progression only flojo campare(my research not down yet)
                    and americans do it at older age campared to Jamaica
                    Questionable? track daddy , guru"

I think the word in bold proves that you are indeed questioning Gay and Jeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaru523
                      "looking at jeter progression only flojo campare(my research not down yet)
                      and americans do it at older age campared to Jamaica
                      Questionable? track daddy , guru"

I think the word in bold proves that you are indeed questioning Gay and Jeter.
                      I was asking a question of guruof track and track daddy .didnt you see guru post i repost where he was questioning fraser and other jamaica female progression.

Comment

[quote=7-sided]
                        Originally posted by "7-sided":1m1p7d5g
                        Bolt and Fraser's progression has been highlighted so often over the last year that you had to have seen them. Their fine, and no less "out of the ordinary" than Gay or Jeter. ...Matter of fact, everyone needs to acknowledge that progression can not be compared.
                        Gay
                        Age 20 10.27
                        Age 21 none
                        Age 22 10.06
                        Age 23 10.08

Bolt
                        Age 20 none
                        Age 21 10.03
                        Age 23 9.58

Ghoster, since you either are incapable of reading with understanding, just have an axe to grind or you truly missed it, I took the liberty of enlarging the critical part of my post that I think you purposely edited to push a faulty meme. I SPECIFICALLY said that there was no - as in zero - comparison that could be made between athletes. Do you get it now? Or are you now going to point out that Gay is not progressing fast enough?[/quote:1m1p7d5g]

:roll: Relax buddy, no axe-grinding intended. I do think progressions can be compared since there have been soooo many careers to compare them to at this point. I disagreed with the Their fine, and no less "out of the ordinary" than Gay or Jeter.. part since I don't see why anyone, like the OP, would use Gay's career as a counter-point to people who question Bolts progression since they are completely dissimilar.

Comment

what a STUPID question and analysis ! A sprinter at best has a career that is slightly longer than the comment house fly to be a little sarcastic. needless to say a lot of male sprinters with a few exceptions of course run their best times between 24 and 28. there are some outliers like bolt (who has run so fast even before 24) and people like bailey, christie and lewis who run well in their late 20s and early 30s. the overwhelming majority of us sprinters who have gone to a four year school (like arkansas where tyson gay went) don't run their best until they are done with school. so basically tyson has spent 5 yrs (basically most of his international career) trying to progress a total of 4 tenths of a second. good progression, but something EXPECTED from a professional sprinter that is so talented and has good coaching.
                          jeter is a totally different story. she hardly competed and trained for 3-4 yrs so she is really 26-27 yrs in terms of development and her peak is excepted to be around this time or maybe even in the next two years.
                          bolt is even another matter. he has been competing and training at a high level since age 15 and has been running world class times since age 17. so it is like usain bolt did not even go to college and went directly in the pros if u are willing to accept that analogy. obviously with his talent it made sense, but in reality he has been competing at a high level for 6 seasons making him like a mid 20s sprinter that went to college in the us system.
                          obviously different people have different peaks for different reasons and very well justified.

Comment

All I have to say is that I wait patiently for SAF and KS to reach mid-late 20's or early 30's... lol. It seems that thats where the best or near best is produced by female athletes. Taking into consideration that they are 10.75/10.73 basic runners (the wind was near non existent in the Berlin final), in a couple years and with the improvement that they obviously need to make in their race (SAF with her mid and closing and KS with her start and mid race)... I dare say the WR can be jeopardised (providing that there is a nice breeze propelling them along).

Comment

As long as ive been gazing these boards ive never understood why somebody cries foul every time a top sprinter drops a great time. Track gets enough backlash from outside onlooks so listening to true blue fans question each tenth knocked off is dishearting.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexm
                                Are we to believe that Jeter has run the fastest ever women's 100m, at aged 29, with only 2 years at elite level, fairly? That is a question not an accusation.
                                If its not an accusation then what exactly is the question? :roll:
                                phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                                X