Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Days of ESPN

Does anyone remember what kind of track coverage ESPN had in its very early days of existence. My memory is pretty foggy, but I vaguely remember 3-hour coverage of college meets. Can anyone verify or correct that? I also remember lots of ping-pong coverage - LOL.

Re: Early Days of ESPN

Early days of ESPN coverage of anything was better, PERIOD. Less chat, more actual events. I remember distinctly watching Billy Olson competing at the '82 Weltklasse. I remember the consecutive WR jumps by Vigneron & Bubka at Rome in '84. Vigneron was smoking a cig while watching Bubka up the ante. Those were the days. Also, Larry Rawson hadn't worn out his welcome amongst track and field fans with his poor commentaries. And yes, they were poor even back then. I have reams of video of him making 3-5 gaffs PER meet throughout the years.

Yes, ESPN was better back then. I sorely miss the days of Australian Rules Football!!!

Kurt

Comment

Rawson's been doing this for 20 years? Jeeezzz, and they still haven't found anyone better? I remember OJ commentating, he was even worse than CL. Has she been officially canned?

Comment

'Rawson's been doing this for 20 years? Jeeezzz, and they still haven't found anyone better? I remember OJ commentating, he was even worse than CL. Has she been officially canned?'

Yes, Mark, it is true LR has been around a long time. Actually, in the beginning he wasn't that bad. Certainly not a Ron Pickering or David Coleman but, alright. But lately he has gone downhill right along with the nasdaq. (He is an investment banker remember!)

Of course, the best track on american tv was in the 70's with lots of live track. My favorite memory is of Yifter sprinting one lap too early against Prefontaine in 71 on CBS.

Comment

(He is an investment banker remember!)

Pity he's not a merchant banker...that's cockney rhyming slang for wanker!

Comment

I remember watching an Oregon dual meet and other rather low profile meets you wouldn't think would warrant TV coverage on ESPN in the mid to late 80s...I think they usually came on late, after 9 or 10pm and then rebroadcast on weekday afternoons.

Comment

I'd like to make a challenge to Rawson for his next broadcast: Don't compare track to ANYTHING, except perhaps field. No football comparisons, no "your local high school track" comparisons, nothing.
              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I remember seeing the Dream Mile from Bislett cut right into my 4th of July TV broadcast as a teenager, and watching Peter Elliott and co make me dream of the mile. I recall Al Michaels reporting live on ABC. Track was something back then - especially when Joe Falcon took down the world in Bislett.

Comment

Speaking of which, I remember watching a live telecast of Cram's WR in the mile at my in-laws house. My brother-in-law, who had absolutely no interest in track, basically said "Wow! That was great...I had no idea track could be so exciting." How many "regular" folks have said anything comparable lately?

Comment

I'm sure it was much better in the early 80s, but I feel like the decline in quality has become even steeper in the last 6-7 years.

I remember watching the 1997 Weltklasse meet on ESPN; as many probably remember, a phenomenal track meet. ESPN showed alot of that meet and did an okay job with it.

Contrast that with now, when they barely show anything.

Comment

Being there was even better! %-)

Comment

Wouldn’t it be nice if someone in the track and field community would step up to the plate and cover the SPORT of track and field? Actually explain the scoring, strategy, and excitement that follow track and field. Show track meets on tape delay and cover the exciting races and field events. Highlight the outstanding performances in each meet... Team scoring and competition is what makes T&F such a pure sport, in fact that's probably why it is one of the only sports that do not need to change its rules to make it more exciting or fair. I grantee that T&F would get great ratings on ESPN if it was covered the RIGHT way!!

Comment

As I've observed on another thread, one of the reasons the general public has trouble appreciating t&f is precisely because it is NOT a team sport in any significant way. That only works at the collegiate level--where team scoring & identity are, of course, quite important. At any level above that, however, there is no real sense of "team" activity at all.

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly, Carol Lewis was on the NBC team for Millrose, so I'd guess she'll be a part of the Athens Olympic coverage as well. I'm sure Walt Murphy could confirm.

Comment

Track and field is very much a team sport. Yes, after the high school and college level it is strictly an individual sport and that is too bad. Wouldn’t it be fun if the US could assemble a couple of teams and let the rest of the world put together teams and compete the same way high school and college teams compete. I'd watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X