Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mills: Bolt has not peaked as yet/31sec in 300m

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mills: Bolt has not peaked as yet/31sec in 300m

    According to Mills, who's been coaching Bolt since 2004, the 23-year-old sprinter will definitely improve both world records once he gets stronger and further sorts out his technical flaws.

    "I'm still not satisfied that he has reached perfection in those areas so we're still going to be working on the reaction time and the drive phase," Mills told the Observer in an exclusive interview on Saturday.

    "I'm willing to take a pat on the shoulder because when I started last year with the 100m thinking and looking at his height and his co-ordination... I thought we had a mountain to climb, but we have spent hours studying what he does on tapes and films and looking at what I would want him to execute and what I think are the best body angles and so on, and so far we're making the right decisions and I still think that we can do a lot more in that area, but what we need to do is to get him stronger," added Mills, who guided Bolt to the 100m world record (9.72secs) within months of first contesting the 100m.

    "I think we have a lot more that we can do in-terms of the strength aspect of it and this is an area that is slightly behind in his development. I still think that his physical strength, especially for his size, needs to go up several notches, maybe another 20 per cent, and I think when we get there we would have reached where we want to be," the veteran coach posited.

    "I'll tell you straight up based on what he has done in terms of his speed, endurance, the ability to run the 300m even in training at low 31 seconds by himself after a hard days work etc.

    "It's clear indication that if he's really fresh, he'll go under 19 seconds, there's no doubt about that." he reasoned.

    Bolt shaved 0.11 off his previous world record of 19.30 in Berlin in his eighth race of the meet.

    As for the 100m, Mills thinks Bolt could take that record below 9.50, given the right conditions.

    "I don't like these predictions, but based on what I think, in the next two years he's going to peak, and I think when that happens, he'll probably be in the 9.40s or low 9.50s.
    Read more here:

    Mills: Bolt has not peaked as yet

  • #2
    Prior to 2008 everyone on this board would have called Mills crazy for saying the things he did in that interview. But amazingly Bolt does make 9.4X and 18.9X seem attainable. And those 31second 300m runs AFTER practice makes you dream of the possibilities in the 400m. 42?41?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TrainerPhil
      Prior to 2008 everyone on this board would have called Mills crazy for saying the things he did in that interview. But amazingly Bolt does make 9.4X and 18.9X seem attainable. And those 31second 300m runs AFTER practice makes you dream of the possibilities in the 400m. 42?41?
      I am sure 400m runners will not be please with this information. 8-)

      Comment


      • #4
        "If he ever gets one of these legal winds of 2.0 metres per second or even 1.9 or 1.8 behind him, then God knows what time that will drive him to," Mills reasoned, noting that all Bolt's world records have been achieved with a very small percentages of wind and some against the wind.
        Good Lord!! :shock:
        Just imagine, but i still think there is a human limit, maybe 9.40s
        Hope Gay and Powell are reading this. There is no hope for anyone.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JROCK
          Originally posted by TrainerPhil
          Prior to 2008 everyone on this board would have called Mills crazy for saying the things he did in that interview. But amazingly Bolt does make 9.4X and 18.9X seem attainable. And those 31second 300m runs AFTER practice makes you dream of the possibilities in the 400m. 42?41?
          I am sure 400m runners will not be please with this information. 8-)
          YOU AIN'T LYIN!! It's hard enough to run sub 44 (only 2 people have done it in the past 2-3 years-Wariner/Merrit). And for Bolt to have the potential to run SUB 43? DANG!!!! 8-) 8-)

          Comment


          • #6
            Looka Here!!!!

            Originally posted by JROCK
            Originally posted by TrainerPhil
            Prior to 2008 everyone on this board would have called Mills crazy for saying the things he did in that interview. But amazingly Bolt does make 9.4X and 18.9X seem attainable. And those 31second 300m runs AFTER practice makes you dream of the possibilities in the 400m. 42?41?
            I am sure 400m runners will not be please with this information. 8-)
            I wouldn't have any fear if I were Merritt or Wariner. Johnson's record of 43.18 is an average of 10.795 sec per 100m, not an easy task to match. I'm not doubting Bolt at all, but he has to break 44 seconds a few times to even be considered getting the record. Let's just be realistic here. He has run 45.54 this year and his PR is 45.28 set in 2006 (a difference of 2.1 secs from the WR). For an example, even if he were to run 31.4 (10.467 sec avg per 100m) for the 1st 300, his last 100 would be in 11.5 - 12.5 sec. I hope he runs a few 400m races next year and breaks 45 seconds in the process, but he won't get that record for another 4 - 6 years. He has to build up his endurance level and won't be beating quys easily like he does in the 100 or 200m. But if he does get the record, Bolt will be as fast as MJ's greatest 4x400 leg......42.94 set in 1993. That's my prediction for him.

            Comment


            • #7
              No...

              Lets get realistic!

              Bolt is not realistic!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RamGoat
                No...

                Lets get realistic!

                Bolt is not realistic!
                Out of all due respect, I still don't see Bolt being capable of breaking the 400 WR for consecutives years like the 100-200m. Just as I said.......42.94 maybe down to 42.7x.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Honourable Usain Bolt just got a first world stretch of roadramed after him. Happened tobe the same road that nearly killed him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Looka Here!!!!

                    Originally posted by DJ_Expanium
                    I wouldn't have any fear if I were Merritt or Wariner. Johnson's record of 43.18 is an average of 10.795 sec per 100m, not an easy task to match. I'm not doubting Bolt at all, but he has to break 44 seconds a few times to even be considered getting the record. Let's just be realistic here. He has run 45.54 this year and his PR is 45.28 set in 2006 (a difference of 2.1 secs from the WR). For an example, even if he were to run 31.4 (10.467 sec avg per 100m) for the 1st 300, his last 100 would be in 11.5 - 12.5 sec. I hope he runs a few 400m races next year and breaks 45 seconds in the process, but he won't get that record for another 4 - 6 years. He has to build up his endurance level and won't be beating quys easily like he does in the 100 or 200m. But if he does get the record, Bolt will be as fast as MJ's greatest 4x400 leg......42.94 set in 1993. That's my prediction for him.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoKy0VwUxm8

                    Have fun with this race. He ran 45.X and look at his last 80m. This is first race I think of when the topic of Bolt and the 400m is brought up. Just imagine what he would do if he trained for the 400m and ran hard through the finish?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow, i hadn't seen that before, never seen anyone walk the last 100 lol.
                      I wanna see him run a serious 400m.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When was that race?? Was it the Jamaican high school championships??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Someone recently cited Nehemiah's comments after running a sizzling 400 leg at Penn. As I recall he said, essentially, that he was never doing that again, it hurt so much even long (hours) after.

                          I think that Bolt knows what it will feel like and does not want to go there. It is one thing to do over-distance 300s (where the last 100 yields a time that is 12+seconds faster than his 200 PR), it is another to do over-distance 500s which is 300m (150%) past what he normally races. He is so big that it takes a lot of energy to run that hard.

                          Also, I do note that while he was not going that fast the last 100m of the 400, he has such a big stride that he still had reasonable speed until the last 30m and 'walked/jogged' only the last couple of strides.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by knockout
                            When was that race?? Was it the Jamaican high school championships??
                            Looks like the Grace Jackson meet of 2008, held at Stadium East.
                            Regards,
                            toyracer

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gordon18
                              Wow, i hadn't seen that before, never seen anyone walk the last 100 lol.
                              I wanna see him run a serious 400m.
                              Bolt has to be in superb shape and well conditioned endurance wise to break the WR in a championship format. If y'all remember, Johnson got the WR after 4 rounds, including a 43.98 in his semifinal. If Bolt is able to do that, He will be the greatest sprinter of all time!!! But I don't see that happening for another 3-4 years if he plans on it. Johnson WR splits were 11.10, 10.12, 10.44 and 11.52.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X