Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What athletes have achieved, and what they are capable of, is very hard to pin down. I remember that on the eve of Seb Coe's first mile record, most experts were not predicting the big improvement Coe made ( from 3 min 57 to 3 min 49 ); fellow athletes and journalists alike were all expecting something in the 3mim51/52 range, inspite of Coe amazing 800m record set shorly before.

Comment

If Coe had been great at the 400 and 800, it would not have boded so well for his 1500. This is essentially the base of eldrick's model. Coe was good at 400, but only in the 800-1500m guy sense, not in the Wariner sense.

Bolt is great at 100 and 200; moving to 400 is going to the end of his range (although easier, I think than is typical for going from 400 to 800, observations from 'horses' to the contrary).

Comment

Bolt needs to attempt to break the 400m record. He needs to because he - and rest of us - are not sure that he can do it. He needs to do it to prove that he is the greatest, and that he can face and overcome the pain and discomfort of the 400m training and racing. Bolt has climbed the third highest mountain; he has climbed the second highest mountain. Now he must attempt to climb the highest. Why must he attempt it? Because it's there!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankS
          Bolt needs to attempt to break the 400m record. He needs to because he - and rest of us - are not sure that he can do it. He needs to do it to prove that he is the greatest, and that he can face and overcome the pain and discomfort of the 400m training and racing. Bolt has climbed the third highest mountain; he has climbed the second highest mountain. Now he must attempt to climb the highest. Why must he attempt it? Because it's there!
          Out of curiosity, why would you call the 100m and 200m records the "third" and "second highest mountains." In truth the 200m record MJ set was/is considered harder to break than his 400m record, and he made that look like child's play. Breaking the WR in the 100m is one thing, but it could be argued that lowering it to 9.58 was harder to do than breaking Michael Johnson's mark in the 400m.

He doesn't need the 400m record to be considered the greatest. If he did it, then it would certainly cement his legacy alongside and maybe even ahead Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis. But if he remains dominant for the next 4 - 8 years then I think his place in history will be there. Longevity is what separates the legends from the greats.

Comment

To hold the 100m, 200m and 400m at the same time. That is it! . I don't care if Usain runs under 19 seconds, it will not be as great an achievement as breaking the 400m. Because - as stated previously - to do so, he will have to dig much, much deeper than he has done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankS
              To hold the 100m, 200m and 400m at the same time. That is it! . I don't care if Usain runs under 19 seconds, it will not be as great an achievement as breaking the 400m. Because - as stated previously - to do so, he will have to dig much, much deeper than he has done so far.
              You can't say, that Bolt has no experience in 400m running:

2001: 21.73 and 48.28
              2002: 20.58 and 47.12
              2003: 20.13 and 45.35
              2006: 19.88 and 47.58
              2007: 19.75 and 45.28
              2009: 19.19 and 45.54

In order to break the WR he has to dig deep, deeper, deepest.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if BOlt runs more 400s in 2010, since there's no major champs at stake next year.....
                My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                  It will be interesting to see if BOlt runs more 400s in 2010, since there's no major champs at stake next year.....
                  i was thinking he should run the 400m at the commonwealth games, what u think about that?8-)

Big up yourself you are one of my favorite poster at 606.

Comment

Thanks, JRock!

We have to fight against the haters on 606....
                    :lol:
                    You should also drop by C-M-S one of these days.

I think you're right - it would be good to see Bolt take on the 400 at the Commonwealth Games. Who knows, he might even try to do a 200-400 double in Delhi.

I can't see him running the 100 in India....

Comment

Igivup. What is 606?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                        Igivup. What is 606?
                        The messageboard on the BBC, where on the athletics board there are a handful of posters who have an irrational hatred of all things Jamaican....
                        8-)

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                          Thanks, JRock!

We have to fight against the haters on 606....
                          You should also drop by C-M-S one of these days.

I think you're right - it would be good to see Bolt take on the 400 at the Commonwealth Games. Who knows, he might even try to do a 200-400 double in Delhi.

I can't see him running the 100 in India....
                          I would like to see him do that too. I want to see him break 45 and 44 sec, in order for him to have a definite shot at Johnson's WR.

Comment

Re: Mills: Bolt has not peaked as yet/31sec in 300m

tandfman, probably a better description of the athletics board of 606 is as the We-all-love-Will-Sharman-mutual-admiration-society!
                            I have never come across a site where a mediocre athlete is so revered....
                            :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                            X