Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Ethiopian NR for steeple only 8:11.32?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Ethiopian NR for steeple only 8:11.32?

Heck, three Americans have bettered that.

Not as much money in the event as in the flat?

Give 'em a chance. There's only one world-class Ethiopian at the moment. In 3 years' time there'll be 5.

Comment

Perhaps it also reflects a more planned, collective approach.

It seems (from the outside obviously) that there the nurturing of Ethopian talent is more centralised and less haphazard then Kenya. The outcome would seem to be also less freedom to explore more "minor" events like steeple... and as a parallel, also less money-chasing road racers and marathoners...

An alternative/complementary explanation is that there are less 1500m types amongst the Ethopians too, so therefore a smaller pool of possible steeplers...

Ethopian Sub - 3.40 runners from 2007-9:
      3:32.18 Deresse Mekonnen 2009
      3:32.35 Kenenisa Bekele 2007
      3:34.42 Henok Legesse 2009
      3:34.49 Mekonnen Gebremedhin 2009
      3:34.67 Mulugeta Wendimu 2008
      3:35.27 Demma Daba 2008
      3:37.26 Tariku Bekele 2008
      3:38.90 Henok Legesse 2008
      3:39.01 Abdisa Sori 2007
      3:39.88 Girma Bekele 2009

At the same time Kenya had these guys under 3.34!
      3:29.47 Augustine Kiprono Choge 2009
      3:30.20 Haron Keitany 2009
      3:31.18 Shedrack Kibet Korir 2007
      3:31.20 Asbel Kiprop 2009
      3:31.49 Daniel Kipchirchir Komen 2008
      3:31.58 Alex Kipchirchir 2007
      3:31.70 William Biwott Tanui 2009
      3:31.89 Suleiman Kipses Simotwo 2007
      3:32.55 Geoffrey Kipkoech Rono 2008
      3:33.63 Gideon Gathimba 2008
      3:33.68 Alfred Kirwa Yego 2009
      3:33.97 Gideon Gathimba 2009

Comment

Re: Why is Ethiopian NR for steeple only 8:11.32?

Originally posted by DrJay
        Why is Ethiopian NR for steeple only 8:11.32?
        Is it a trick question? My answer is: because no Ethiopian has ever run faster 8-)
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

i wondered if money/resources are an issue (more so than in kenya, where strong legacy of steeple success has helped make equipment / funding available) - sports facilities in ethiopia may be more basic with a lack of barriers/waterjumps to train on.

Comment

Originally posted by vencio2
            i wondered if money/resources are an issue (more so than in kenya, where strong legacy of steeple success has helped make equipment / funding available) - sports facilities in ethiopia may be more basic with a lack of barriers/waterjumps to train on.
            You're seriously not that naive? Training for the steeplechase is no different than training for any other distance event. There is no need for "funding" (which a poor country like Kenya doesn't have) or "facilities."

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
              You're seriously not that naive? Training for the steeplechase is no different than training for any other distance event. There is no need for "funding" (which a poor country like Kenya doesn't have) or "facilities."
              For the first time in my life........

Comment

Originally posted by vencio2
                Sorry, for being naive! I thought they might need to practice over the barriers now and then, and that even some of the better stadiums / tracks (i.e. facilities) might not have those.

Comment

The all-time Ethopian list has been considerably reshaped by very recent performances... While it is comparatively weak, I'd say the best is still to come...

8:11.32 Roba Gary 2009
                  8:12.13 Yacob Jarso 2009
                  8:13.57 Eshetu Tura 1980
                  8:14.68 Tariku Nahom Mesfin 2008
                  8:19.57 Yohannes Mohamed 1975
                  8:20.58 Legese Lemiso 2009
                  8:21.30 Luleseged Wale 2003
                  8:22.22 Tewodros Shiferaw 2004
                  8:24.7 Abraham Kebeto 2008

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m3000hok.htm

Comment

the ethiopians simply dont care about this event as much as the 5 and 10 k and marathon. for them these are the glamour events, not the steeple.

Comment

Indeed. That's why the Japanese based Jarso spent the first half of the season trying to impress at 5000 and 10000 before giving up and running a solo 8:17 to ensure he went to Berlin.

Comment

So on the one subject you might actually have something interesting to say, you choose merely to put someone else down. Suppose you had not written that first sentence? Creditable post. With it, contentious.

I think the answer is simply that Kenya takes great national pride in the Steeple, culturely encouraging them to excel. It is a step-child event in many places and Ethiopia has yet to fully embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          So on the one subject you might actually have something interesting to say, you choose merely to put someone else down.
                          If you read the above sentence, before the comma, Marlow chooses to insult Malmo (implying that there is only one subject which Malmo might have something interesting to contribute regarding), and following the comma, he chooses to chastize Malmo for this behavior which he engages in himself without ostensibly any recognition of the palpable hypocrisy which this evidences.

As to the subject matter, I would concur that Ethiopia's best distance runners have simply not been engaging in the steeplechase, while many of Kenya's steeplers have the talent to run 13 minutes or under for 5000. Of course Shaheen ran 12:48, so he had several advantages. However, even an emphasis on the event requires depth so that a few outliers may emerge from the pool.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents
                            If you read the above sentence, before the comma, Marlow chooses to insult Malmo (sic) (implying that there is only one subject which Malmo might have something interesting to contribute regarding), and following the comma, he chooses to chastize (sic) Malmo (sic) for this behavior (sic) which he engages in himself without ostensibly any recognition of the palpable hypocrisy which this evidences.
                            Well played, sir! You have an intuitive grasp of the obvious. (I'd insert a smiley here, NOT a rolling eyes, but the PTB have deemed them dispensable). I welcome these remarks, which I find to be completely civil.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by 2 cents
                              If you read the above sentence, before the comma, Marlow chooses to insult Malmo (sic) (implying that there is only one subject which Malmo might have something interesting to contribute regarding), and following the comma, he chooses to chastize (sic) Malmo (sic) for this behavior (sic) which he engages in himself without ostensibly any recognition of the palpable hypocrisy which this evidences.
                              Well played, sir! You have an intuitive grasp of the obvious. (I'd insert a smiley here, NOT a rolling eyes, but the PTB have deemed them dispensable). I welcome these remarks, which I find to be completely civil.
                              It would be a lot easier for you if you cease to troll threads that you have neither an interest in, nor anything to contribute.

Comment

Working...
                              X