Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Ethiopian NR for steeple only 8:11.32?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrJay
    replied
    I am oh so glad I asked this question.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by rasb
    Don't turn into a curmudgeon on us...
    I suppose it's a natural progression of aging Should bad hammy and I start a club
    Well, if it's an "aging club", I guess we are all members. Now perhaps some got an early start, but this is one race where we won't be able to be recalled, and have a chance to start again...Oh well --- flat out to the finish line !

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Color me confused. If there is such a thing as "natural selection" or "survival of the fittest" I don't see it as "silly" that the better runners, who survived the run home with the rustled cattle, would, over centuries, produce a society of superior runners.
    Do you really think the other tribesmen starved to death in that time period? Natural selection (as opposed to breeding) doesn't happen over a couple of centuries of cattle rustling.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Color me confused. If there is such a thing as "natural selection" or "survival of the fittest" I don't see it as "silly" that the better runners, who survived the run home with the rustled cattle, would, over centuries, produce a society of superior runners.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    Don't turn into a curmudgeon on us...
    I suppose it's a natural progression of aging Should bad hammy and I start a club

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    And since cattle were what a prospective husband needed to pay for a bride, the more a young man had, the more wives he could buy, and the more children he was likely to father. It's not hard to imagine that such a reproductive advantage might cause a significant shift in a group's genetic makeup over the course of a few centuries.
    Why go to this kind of narrative when genetic drift would suffice?
    Daisy, it's because the narrative is much more fun !!! Don't turn into a curmudgeon on us...

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    And since cattle were what a prospective husband needed to pay for a bride, the more a young man had, the more wives he could buy, and the more children he was likely to father. It's not hard to imagine that such a reproductive advantage might cause a significant shift in a group's genetic makeup over the course of a few centuries.
    Why go to this kind of narrative when genetic drift would suffice?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    That's just flat out silliness. (BIG rolling eyes)

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Originally posted by joeltetreault
    This excerpt from the Train Hard, Win Easy book discusses the cattle raiding hypothesis in more detail (might make more sense):
    You do realize quoting Toby Tanser on genetics is akin to quoting Al Gore on atmospheric physics, don't you?

Read on:
    "Much as I enjoy this sort of speculation, however, a different kind of data is needed to substantiate anything approaching a scientific genetic theory, and so far none exists."

Leave a comment:

• joeltetreault
    replied
    This excerpt from the Train Hard, Win Easy book discusses the cattle raiding hypothesis in more detail (might make more sense):

http://www.kenyarunners.com/pages/16737 ... 2199340095

What I find more intriguing, however, is the possibility that some of these peoples' customs might have functioned indirectly as genetic selection mechanisms favoring strong runners. I'm thinking specifically of the practice of cattle theft -- euphemistically known as cattle raiding. It was common to all these pastoral peoples, but in Kenya, at least, the Kalenjin were its foremost practitioners. Of course they didn't regard it as theft; they were merely repossessing cattle that were theirs by divine right and happened to have fallen into other hands. Never mind that those into whose hands the cattle had fallen often felt the same way. Anyway, Kalenjin raids often called for treks of more than 100 miles to capture livestock and drive them home before their former owners could catch up. The better a young man was at raiding -- in large part, a function of his speed and endurance -- the more cattle he accumulated. And since cattle were what a prospective husband needed to pay for a bride, the more a young man had, the more wives he could buy, and the more children he was likely to father. It's not hard to imagine that such a reproductive advantage might cause a significant shift in a group's genetic makeup over the course of a few centuries.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    i read this, pretty funny-
    some believe that certain East African tribes (e.g. the Nandi tribe in Kenya) have been genetically selected for endurance performance through cultural practices such as cattle raiding
    I'm not sure that makes ANY sense as I understand evolution. What does 'genetic selecting' mean in terms of a population's habits? It's all about whose progeny survive. I see no way that 'cattle raiding' can influence a random mutation's survivability.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

some believe that certain East African tribes (e.g. the Nandi tribe in Kenya) have been genetically selected for endurance performance through cultural practices such as cattle raiding
    Kenny Moore wrote that in a feature article in SI several years ago. I think he was serious.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

This is apocrypha. Certainly no geneticist would sign on your theory.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    malmo, it's a downright shame you took the money your mother gave you for charm school and spent it on penny candy.

You're crossing the line (yet again) on personal attacks. Please cease and desist.
    Personal attacks? Whoa... that stuff you're smoking is illegal.

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    malmo, it's a downright shame you took the money your mother gave you for charm school and spent it on penny candy.

You're crossing the line (yet again) on personal attacks. Please cease and desist.
    I don't get the rules around here and who they apply to(and who they don't).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X