Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeter Plans Attack on World Record

Reporter from Sina Sports (at the Shanghai Grand Prix Press Conference): I'd like to direct my question to Carmelita Jeter. You've just achieved the wonderful result of 10.67 sec in World Athletics Final, which is listed as the 3rd best record in history. Do you have confidence in breaking the 10.49 sec world record?

Carmelita Jeter: "I will increase my training intensity for better results, and work harder in the coming year to approach the world record. "

http://shggp.com/?n=4-61&news=571

My question is...can she do it?
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

With an aiding 2.0 wind, maybe.

Comment

impossible is nothing.

Comment

can they use the same wind gauge they had for flojo's 10.49?

i can see her getting to 10.60, which would be pretty much the "real" WR.

Comment

Re: Jeter Plans Attack on World Record

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
          Shawn Crawford was going to run 18.99, too...

Comment

She might get to 9.5x, but 9.4 is way far off.
            But her performance definitely brought the WR into the nearer future.

Comment

Reporter from Sina Sports (at the Shanghai Grand Prix Press Conference): I'd like to direct my question to Carmelita Jeter. You've just achieved the wonderful result of 10.67 sec in World Athletics Final, which is listed as the 3rd best record in history. Do you have confidence in breaking the 10.49 sec world record?

Carmelita Jeter: "I will increase my training intensity for better results, and work harder in the coming year to approach the world record. "

Do I have confidence she can crack 10.49? Definitely not. Do I think it's possible, Definitely. With a +2.0m/s wind, her 10.67 would have been 10.55, using JRM's calculator. So, with optimal weather, she's pretty close already. Don't forget Tim's 9.78 +2.0m/s 0.104 RT.

Comment

Originally posted by rainy.here

Do I have confidence she can crack 10.49? Definitely not. Do I think it's possible, Definitely. With a +2.0m/s wind, her 10.67 would have been 10.55, using JRM's calculator. So, with optimal weather, she's pretty close already. Don't forget Tim's 9.78 +2.0m/s 0.104 RT.
                Actually, I think that she could. Both her and Kerron (Jam). It's been 20 years, so it has to fall sooner or later. Remember when we thought (at least I did) that MJ's 200 meter wr would stay intact for at least 20-30 years. However, it took roughly 12 years for Mr. Bolt to top it, then top it again. If SAF had a stronger finish, I would put her up there too.

Comment

While most sprinters are disinclined to run at altitude to get a WR, this is one case where that stricture must have less bearing. Adding Mexico City's altitude would make it feasible under the right conditions. Even without a 200m+ site, it is possible that Zurich or something even a little higher, while under the 1000m line for the (A) appendage, might make it even easier to get to 10.49. To bad they have not seen fit to remove that mistake.

As others have pointed out, Jeter is now in the same class as SAF and SS (VCB not too far out and others as well?), so that a great season combined with perfect peaking and race conditions (uninjured, great race, perfect wind, ...) could see some pretty good fireworks. I am looking forward to seeing some 10.6s and 10.5w races in the next several years.

I think that Jeter's race will actually make it easier for SAF to get down further and more quickly. Before, she had a great start and needed to just maintain a good finish. Now she has to work on the middle and end of her race a little more aggressively.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                    Shawn Crawford was going to run 18.99, too...
                    the mathematician himself..... doesn't Jeter's run equate to a 10.55 with a 2.0 wind???

Comment

Mexico City, 2250m, with a 2.0mps wind and an assumption that the 10.67 was a 10.665 (which rounds up), yields a 10.509; she would need an additional 0.019 to get the best break for a 10.49. However, recall that gh (and others) have observed that altitude seems to help somewhat more than the models seem to yield. Of course, if she gets a 5.5mps wind listed as a 0.0 in Indianapolis, she would get a 10.43 out of her 10.66+ effort at WAF. Of course, she will also have to hold off SAF and company, who might get a 10.42 out of those conditions!

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                        Mexico City, 2250m, with a 2.0mps wind and an assumption that the 10.67 was a 10.665 (which rounds up), yields a 10.509; she would need an additional 0.019 to get the best break for a 10.49. However, recall that gh (and others) have observed that altitude seems to help somewhat more than the models seem to yield. Of course, if she gets a 5.5mps wind listed as a 0.0 in Indianapolis, she would get a 10.43 out of her 10.66+ effort at WAF. Of course, she will also have to hold off SAF and company, who might get a 10.42 out of those conditions!
                        Flo-Jo was during 95% of her career, compared with current standards, just a sub world level sprinter. But in those 4-days exploits in Indianapolis and Seoul she rocked it all. You can suppose what Jeter can do what you like. On the other hand I think it's fair to suppose that Flo-Jo didn't reach her full potential, regardless how you threat her 10.49, which obviously was clear wind-aided.

IMO the technocratic view on sport is undoubtedly sometimes useful, but with regard of finally breaking the Flo-Jo WR I am not that impressed.

I'm straight with regard to WR's. Start all over.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                          She might get to 9.5x, but 9.4 is way far off.
                          But her performance definitely brought the WR into the nearer future.
                          I'd actually venture to say that sub 10 is pretty far off.

Me thinks you meant 10.5x...

Comment

Originally posted by Frans Rutten
                            [.....

Flo-Jo was during 95% of her career, compared with current standards, just a sub world level sprinter. But in those 4-days exploits in Indianapolis and Seoul she rocked it all. ...
                            Wrong!

100 meters:
                            Ranked No. 10 in the world in '82, No. 6 in '83 and No. 5 in '85.

200:
                            No. 7 in '82, 6 in '83 (4th in the WC), 5 in '84, 5 in '85, 2 in '87 (WC silver).

If that's sub-world level, I wanna see world level!

Comment

Flojo also won silver in the 200m and 4x4 in the LA Olympic Games in 84.

Boycott or not, definitely not sub world level.
                              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Working...
                              X