Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens with Caster Semenya and the medal?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cacique
    interestingly left unsaid is whether she'll be allowed to return to competition. and why is the outcome of this case different from that of sundarajan?????

in the NYT article, her coach seems to think she'll compete again as a woman.
    ... from the IAAF rules:

6. Conditions that should be allowed:(a) Those conditions that accord no advantage over other females:
    - Androgen insensitivity syndrome (Complete or almost complete -
    previously called testicular feminization);
    - Gonadal dysgenesis (gonads should be removed surgically to avoid
    malignancy);
    - Turner’s syndrome.
    (b) Those conditions that may accord some advantages but nevertheless
    acceptable
    :
    - Congenital adrenal hyperplasia;
    - Androgen producing tumors;
    - Anovulatory androgen excess (polycystic ovary syndrome).

According to the Iaaf a wmn with complete or partial AIS DOES NOT have an added advantage(EG maria patino, semenya(if rumours are true).
    yet a woman with CAH does HAVE an advantege and Santhi was rumoured to have CAH.

Comment

• Originally posted by mump boy
      i thought this was quite informative

http://www.medhelp.org/ais/articles/MARIA.HTM

if things don't go to plan while a baby is forming in the womb (the science bit is very well explained in the article)

At birth, the child looks like a girl. The only sign that something is different is the presence of the testes, either in the labia or in the lower part of the groin, but doctors will miss those without a close examination. At puberty, the girl develops breasts and a woman's body. Although she has no ovaries to make female hormones, her body transforms some of the testosterone and androstenedione produced by the testes into the female hormone estradiol, and there is enough estradiol to trigger her maturation into a woman. Because she has no uterus, however, she does not menstruate. This may prompt her to go to a gynecologist, who will discover that she has no internal female organs, her vagina has a dead end, and she is carrying a pair of testes. The doctor will usually recommend removing the testes because they might turn cancerous, and then will prescribe estrogen replacement to substitute for the hormones that had been produced by the testes. If, as sometimes happens, the vagina is too short for comfortable intercourse, it can be stretched. Other than that - and the fact that she cannot have children - the XY woman is no different from an XX female. If anything, she's more likely to match the Western male standards of a beautiful woman, with long legs, well-developed breasts and clear skin. She could have a height advantage in sports or may become a fashion model, an occupation that supposedly holds a number of XY women, or a movie actress. Indeed, there are at least two well-known American movie stars who are XY women, according to researchers in sex differences, although neither of the actresses wishes her condition to be made public.
      I believe Jamie Lee Curtis has disclosed this about herself.
      why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by DentyCracker
        Are you sure?

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jamie.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/jamiel ... curtis.htm

Comment

• Guess my belief was incorrect
          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

interestingly left unsaid is whether she'll be allowed to return to competition. and why is the outcome of this case different from that of sundarajan?????

in the NYT article, her coach seems to think she'll compete again as a woman.
            Why do I get the feeling that it will be a lot more complicated than they think? For one, some of the women (with the exception, perhaps, of Pamela Jelimo, if she can get back to 1:54.01 form) might be inclined not to step on the track if Semenya is among the entries. For another, I expect that the IOC will be incredibly strict when it comes to who is entered as what; and if they really can't make heads or tails in this matter, Semenya might not be allowed to run in London 2012.

Comment

• it's not clear to me that semenya has AIS, and thus in the same category as patino or others.

it doesn't seem clear either that semenya will return to competition in spite of what her coach says. iaaf seems silent on that matter too, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman
                Originally posted by DentyCracker
                Are you sure?

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jamie.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/jamiel ... curtis.htm
                After seeing her in True Lies I could tell you that wasn't true.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                  [After seeing her in True Lies I could tell you that wasn't true.
                  Yep, never entered my mind to question her gender, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf
                    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                    [After seeing her in True Lies I could tell you that wasn't true.
                    Yep, never entered my mind to question her gender, either.
                    The point is that Jamie Lee Curtis could be AIS. Even if she isn't, other woman like her are XY.

Snopes ask the wrong question. She could be XY and be born with only female sex organs.

Comment

• anyone see the latest issue of the new yorker magazine? it has a long story on l'affaire semenya, a very good read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Davidokun
                        Originally posted by vip
                        Everybody's afraid of being sued, and you can bet that Caster is already lawyered up.
                        Dewey & LeBoeuf Retained to Protect Rights of South African Runner Caster Semenya
                        read the new yorker article. they are not having such an easy time contacting her.

the writer tracked her down at the university. she's understandly not speaking much to the media.

Comment

• ofcoz everything we writting about here is pure speculation based on the leaked medical reports.one thing for sure if the reports were true SEMENYA has more of a chance to be allowed to compete again than if there were not.there has been many other women with intersex condition that the IAAF has allowed to compete again.Erika Coimbra and Edinanci Silva were both born with both male and female sexual organs.they had them removed and participated in the Olympics and other events.why should things be different with Semenya?If she is not doping and she still wants to compete,I think we will see her again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iam2cool
                            acceptable
                            :

According to the Iaaf a wmn with complete or partial AIS DOES NOT have an added advantage(EG maria patino, semenya(if rumours are true).
                            yet a woman with CAH does HAVE an advantege and Santhi was rumoured to have CAH.
                            but according to the above, CAH is acceptable? so why would she be DQ?

Comment

Originally posted by Iam2cool
                              acceptable
                              :

but according to the above, CAH is acceptable? so why would she DQ?
                              the condition is acceptable provided the athlete REMOVES the deformity(for lack of a better word).in the case of CAH it could be external genetilia too(eg enlarged clitorious).I hope its ok to mention this word on the forum if not i apologies.in such cases this leaves the wmn with no sensation as some nerves can be destroyed in the process.in such cases some ppl opt not to reduce the size of the clit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iam2cool
                                the condition is acceptable provided the athlete REMOVES the deformity(for lack of a better word).in the case of CAH it could be external genetilia too(eg enlarged clitorious).I hope its ok to mention this word on the forum if not i apologies.in such cases this leaves the wmn with no sensation as some nerves can be destroyed in the process.in such cases some ppl opt not to reduce the size of the clit.
                                if that was the case with santhi, i still don't see why they should take her medal away. i mean, com'on, the poor woman could barely break 2:02 for the 800 (i'm having trouble finding results for doha 2006 online, but i think that was about her level). even if that was the case that you describe above, it's hard to imagine what unfair advantage her condition gave her over her competitors. contrast that with the semenya case, in which they are going to let her keep her medal and prize money. i still think --- based on whatever information and speculation i have heard -- that they did not treat poor sundarajan fairly.

Comment

Working...
                                X