Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens with Caster Semenya and the medal?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by DentyCracker
    I believe Jamie Lee Curtis has disclosed this about herself.
    Are you sure?

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jamie.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/jamiel ... curtis.htm

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker
    replied
    Originally posted by mump boy
    i thought this was quite informative

http://www.medhelp.org/ais/articles/MARIA.HTM

if things don't go to plan while a baby is forming in the womb (the science bit is very well explained in the article)

At birth, the child looks like a girl. The only sign that something is different is the presence of the testes, either in the labia or in the lower part of the groin, but doctors will miss those without a close examination. At puberty, the girl develops breasts and a woman's body. Although she has no ovaries to make female hormones, her body transforms some of the testosterone and androstenedione produced by the testes into the female hormone estradiol, and there is enough estradiol to trigger her maturation into a woman. Because she has no uterus, however, she does not menstruate. This may prompt her to go to a gynecologist, who will discover that she has no internal female organs, her vagina has a dead end, and she is carrying a pair of testes. The doctor will usually recommend removing the testes because they might turn cancerous, and then will prescribe estrogen replacement to substitute for the hormones that had been produced by the testes. If, as sometimes happens, the vagina is too short for comfortable intercourse, it can be stretched. Other than that - and the fact that she cannot have children - the XY woman is no different from an XX female. If anything, she's more likely to match the Western male standards of a beautiful woman, with long legs, well-developed breasts and clear skin. She could have a height advantage in sports or may become a fashion model, an occupation that supposedly holds a number of XY women, or a movie actress. Indeed, there are at least two well-known American movie stars who are XY women, according to researchers in sex differences, although neither of the actresses wishes her condition to be made public.
    I believe Jamie Lee Curtis has disclosed this about herself.

Leave a comment:

• Iam2cool
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    interestingly left unsaid is whether she'll be allowed to return to competition. and why is the outcome of this case different from that of sundarajan?????

in the NYT article, her coach seems to think she'll compete again as a woman.
    ... from the IAAF rules:

6. Conditions that should be allowed:(a) Those conditions that accord no advantage over other females:
    - Androgen insensitivity syndrome (Complete or almost complete -
    previously called testicular feminization);
    - Gonadal dysgenesis (gonads should be removed surgically to avoid
    malignancy);
    - Turner’s syndrome.
    (b) Those conditions that may accord some advantages but nevertheless
    acceptable
    :
    - Congenital adrenal hyperplasia;
    - Androgen producing tumors;
    - Anovulatory androgen excess (polycystic ovary syndrome).

According to the Iaaf a wmn with complete or partial AIS DOES NOT have an added advantage(EG maria patino, semenya(if rumours are true).
    yet a woman with CAH does HAVE an advantege and Santhi was rumoured to have CAH.

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    interestingly left unsaid is whether she'll be allowed to return to competition. and why is the outcome of this case different from that of sundarajan?????

in the NYT article, her coach seems to think she'll compete again as a woman.

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    yes, but as far as i know, they do not function as such.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    pego, as far as i know, transgender men do not have functional penises. and the article you link says nothing to that effect.
    Yes, they need some help (implants).

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    pego, as far as i know, transgender men do not have functional penises. and the article you link says nothing to that effect.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Originally posted by Pego
    Plastic surgery could make her a functional male (capable of reproduction),
    that's news to me. i don't think it's possible to "make a man" out of a woman.
    I think that you miss that she has more of the male components than the female ones, so your reference point is not quite correct from what I understand.
    actually, you missed my point. i was solely saying that pego is not correct about that surgery issue. i wasn't addressing whether she can compete as a woman or not.
    He is not. Here is an example. And Yvonne was a functional woman with all the trimmings, unlike Caster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balian_Buschbaum

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    i thought this was quite informative

http://www.medhelp.org/ais/articles/MARIA.HTM

if things don't go to plan while a baby is forming in the womb (the science bit is very well explained in the article)

At birth, the child looks like a girl. The only sign that something is different is the presence of the testes, either in the labia or in the lower part of the groin, but doctors will miss those without a close examination. At puberty, the girl develops breasts and a woman's body. Although she has no ovaries to make female hormones, her body transforms some of the testosterone and androstenedione produced by the testes into the female hormone estradiol, and there is enough estradiol to trigger her maturation into a woman. Because she has no uterus, however, she does not menstruate. This may prompt her to go to a gynecologist, who will discover that she has no internal female organs, her vagina has a dead end, and she is carrying a pair of testes. The doctor will usually recommend removing the testes because they might turn cancerous, and then will prescribe estrogen replacement to substitute for the hormones that had been produced by the testes. If, as sometimes happens, the vagina is too short for comfortable intercourse, it can be stretched. Other than that - and the fact that she cannot have children - the XY woman is no different from an XX female. If anything, she's more likely to match the Western male standards of a beautiful woman, with long legs, well-developed breasts and clear skin. She could have a height advantage in sports or may become a fashion model, an occupation that supposedly holds a number of XY women, or a movie actress. Indeed, there are at least two well-known American movie stars who are XY women, according to researchers in sex differences, although neither of the actresses wishes her condition to be made public.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by vip
    Everybody's afraid of being sued, and you can bet that Caster is already lawyered up.
    Dewey & LeBoeuf Retained to Protect Rights of South African Runner Caster Semenya

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Maybe this is a dumb question (not my first) but can a person be born with both or neither ovaries and/'or gonads or is one or the other necessary for the gestation process? :?

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    New NY Times piece link on the Home page.

Leave a comment:

• vip
    replied
    The IAAF is tip-toeing forward because of, what else, money. Everybody's afraid of being sued, and you can bet that Caster is already lawyered up. It's a fear about money, and also about being PC with a young female, that's delaying what should otherwise be a simple process:

Test. Rule. Move on.

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    and again, you missed the whole thing. i guess it's easier to have a black-and-white view of the world, makes things easier.

from what it's been leaked to the media, semenya might not have either. so simple this whole thing, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    I posted what follows several months ago, and was sort of laughed at by some, who said it was too simplistic, but in light of what has just occurred these last few days, I repeat it, in quite clinical terms, no joke here:

If it has a penis it is a male. If it has a vagina it is a female. That's it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X