Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens with Caster Semenya and the medal?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutra
    Concerns about a doctor/patient confidentiality breach if made public?

Can't strip her medal without breaking the confidentiality.

I guess it's possible the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place runners could file a grievance which could impede on the confidentiality issue.
    This is another absurdity. She did not see those physicians as a patient. They acted as an examiner arranged and paid for by a third party. There was never a physician/patient relationship established.

Lawyers for those other women in the race will have a field day with this claim.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutra
    I guess it's possible the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place runners could file a grievance which could impede on the confidentiality issue.
    Given that part of their income is from prize money and titles, i think we can assume the IAAF will be seeing them in court. Unless they have already arranged for compensation.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Concerns about a doctor/patient confidentiality breach if made public?

Can't strip her medal without breaking the confidentiality.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Political expediency trumps facts and reason once again .
    All well and good but what about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th placers? Sounds like they are jumping from the pot into the fire.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Political expediency trumps facts and reason once again .

Leave a comment:

• DecFan
    replied
    And now that agreement apparently is reached: Semenya keeps the medal, no public statement will be made about the results of her tests. Unstated but surely part of the agreement: She will not compete again.

Leave a comment:

• MDelano
    replied
    I suspect the delay is not so much for medical reasons, but in order to reach an agreement with the South African authorities (and Athletics South Africa just got new management this week) and avoid another clash as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    In other words, "We're clueless about how to handle this."

Doesn't take very long to do a basic karyotype, measure various hormone levels, do a pelvic exam, and a pelvic ultrasound. That's it. Presumably they have their objective data and simply can't decide what to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    As now noted on the front page, it could be awhile until we know anything more. IAAF says medical investigation is still on going and will have "no comment until further notice." (bold theirs)

Leave a comment:

• Frans Rutten
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Pego
    She knew a lot more about herself than you allow.
    I also assume she knew she was not 'normal'. But I don't think she thought she was cheating. Do you think that in HER mind there was the intent to 'win by unfair means'?
    She had originally the intent to run first a 800m sub 2 minutes. But after running the far beyond expectation time of 1:56.72 she suddenly must have realized, what was in store for her. Note that a year ago she competed in Bydgoszcz only under "also ran".

In that sence she probably was from then on in the eye of the storm and had apparently no idea for what was so obvious for others. I already referred to the most incriminating photo ever without showing the real picture with an article about her. It was showing only her feet. So in that perspective she's innocent.

But see her running at the decisive phase in Berlin was the most obvious thing. More than I ever before witnessed. I stopped watching the race.

It's most likely that others around her were'nt that innocent and knew all the way what could be in store.

The story which has become a human interest story is still unfolding.

Leave a comment:

• knockout
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS_Liv
    Originally posted by Zat0pek
    Whether or not the medal gets physically returned seems to me to be irrelevant.

The next question is what will the ASA do to make it up to her? Personally, I think the ASA should have to pay back her prize money and let her retain the winnings as some modest compensation for what she's been through. Let her keep the money but make ASA pay it back.
    I'm scared to say this, but I agree. Semenya gets compensated for her distress, ASA gets "fined", the other women get the right medals (including Krevsun, who deserved one for trying to compete), Jepkosgei and Meadows top up their money and Krevsun gets some dosh.
    I think thats a very good solution!!!!

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    [quote=TrackDaddy]
    Originally posted by IanS_Liv
    Originally posted by "Law dude":4nhw92xl
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Nice to have our educated (i.e., legally educated) posters provide their insight (including lawdude who has been absent for a while).
    Why thank you, 26mi235. Most people believe the long time absence of law dudes is a good thing. :-)
    Sorry, OT but heard a new (to me) lawyer joke today.

Why are lawyers and sperm so similar? They both have a 1 in 50 million chance of becoming a human being!
    Where's rasb? lol[/quote:4nhw92xl]

Still swimming around, TD...

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    [quote=IanS_Liv]
    Originally posted by "Law dude":3uqfl7kw
    Nice to have our educated (i.e., legally educated) posters provide their insight (including lawdude who has been absent for a while).
    Why thank you, 26mi235. Most people believe the long time absence of law dudes is a good thing. :-)

Why are lawyers and sperm so similar? They both have a 1 in 50 million chance of becoming a human being![/quote:3uqfl7kw]

Where's rasb? lol

Leave a comment:

• IanS_Liv
    replied
    Originally posted by Law dude

Why are lawyers and sperm so similar? They both have a 1 in 50 million chance of becoming a human being!

Full disclosure: I've worked for several lawdudes in my time so have a healthy appreciation of the profession. :wink:

Ok back to the seriousness now.

Leave a comment:

• Law dude
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X