Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens with Caster Semenya and the medal?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Iam2cool

• Iam2cool
    replied
    if 1in 1000 are born with some kind of intesex condition,how many people are living with these conditions and dont even know it?

SEMENYA's story recieved a lot of publicity.thats how she got to be represented by D&L.she comes from a similar poor background as Santhi.I hope one day she will gather enough courage and fight the ruling.

Leave a comment:

• cacique

• cacique
    replied
    you know, the iaaf already scrubbed santhi's bio from its website but i was able to find results from doha 2006 here:

http://www.todor66.com/athletics/Asian_ ... _800m.html

jamal won the 800, santhi came in 2nd running 2:03:16. i assume the protest was lodged by uzbekistan, since zamira amirova finished 4th and then elevated to the bronze. so someone tell me how an extra 2 cm of skin or flesh (if that was the case) gave her such tremendous advantage in this event. i mean, 2:03!!!!!!!! com'on.

i remember reading about santhi at the time that she came from a very poor and perhaps illiterate background (i don't mean she was illiterate but defin. her parents were not well educated), and thus did not get a lot of proper medical care. apparently, the indian federation was aware that there were issues with her since in domestic competitions, other runners had lodged protests and for some reason, the indian authorities had cleared her for competition. but obviously, they were not prepared or did not care to protect her once she was in doha. she obviously did not have a high-powered law firm like dewey & leboeuf on her side (D&L, which are representing semenya according to the new yorker magazine -- are also representing the salahis, who crashed the white house state dinner for the PM of india!!!!).

Leave a comment:

• Iam2cool

• Iam2cool
    replied
    I agree Cacique,Santhi was treated unfairly.what i do not knw is whether the asian games used the IAAF rule book.I also dont remember the indian government and their federation rallying behind her the way South Africans have.the IAAF decisions are very inconsistant when it comes to these issues,if you dont challenge them they will walk all over you. i suspect that might have be the case with Santhi.

Leave a comment:

• cacique

• cacique
    replied
    Originally posted by Iam2cool
    the condition is acceptable provided the athlete REMOVES the deformity(for lack of a better word).in the case of CAH it could be external genetilia too(eg enlarged clitorious).I hope its ok to mention this word on the forum if not i apologies.in such cases this leaves the wmn with no sensation as some nerves can be destroyed in the process.in such cases some ppl opt not to reduce the size of the clit.
    if that was the case with santhi, i still don't see why they should take her medal away. i mean, com'on, the poor woman could barely break 2:02 for the 800 (i'm having trouble finding results for doha 2006 online, but i think that was about her level). even if that was the case that you describe above, it's hard to imagine what unfair advantage her condition gave her over her competitors. contrast that with the semenya case, in which they are going to let her keep her medal and prize money. i still think --- based on whatever information and speculation i have heard -- that they did not treat poor sundarajan fairly.

Leave a comment:

• Iam2cool

• Iam2cool
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    (b) Those conditions that may accord some advantages but nevertheless
    acceptable
    :
    - Congenital adrenal hyperplasia;
    - Androgen producing tumors;
    - Anovulatory androgen excess (polycystic ovary syndrome).

According to the Iaaf a wmn with complete or partial AIS DOES NOT have an added advantage(EG maria patino, semenya(if rumours are true).
    yet a woman with CAH does HAVE an advantege and Santhi was rumoured to have CAH.
    but according to the above, CAH is acceptable? so why would she DQ?
    the condition is acceptable provided the athlete REMOVES the deformity(for lack of a better word).in the case of CAH it could be external genetilia too(eg enlarged clitorious).I hope its ok to mention this word on the forum if not i apologies.in such cases this leaves the wmn with no sensation as some nerves can be destroyed in the process.in such cases some ppl opt not to reduce the size of the clit.

Leave a comment:

• cacique

• cacique
    replied
    (b) Those conditions that may accord some advantages but nevertheless
    acceptable
    :
    - Congenital adrenal hyperplasia;
    - Androgen producing tumors;
    - Anovulatory androgen excess (polycystic ovary syndrome).

According to the Iaaf a wmn with complete or partial AIS DOES NOT have an added advantage(EG maria patino, semenya(if rumours are true).
    yet a woman with CAH does HAVE an advantege and Santhi was rumoured to have CAH.
    but according to the above, CAH is acceptable? so why would she be DQ?

Leave a comment:

• Iam2cool

• Iam2cool
    replied
    ofcoz everything we writting about here is pure speculation based on the leaked medical reports.one thing for sure if the reports were true SEMENYA has more of a chance to be allowed to compete again than if there were not.there has been many other women with intersex condition that the IAAF has allowed to compete again.Erika Coimbra and Edinanci Silva were both born with both male and female sexual organs.they had them removed and participated in the Olympics and other events.why should things be different with Semenya?If she is not doping and she still wants to compete,I think we will see her again.

Leave a comment:

• cacique

• cacique
    replied
    Originally posted by Davidokun
    Originally posted by vip
    Everybody's afraid of being sued, and you can bet that Caster is already lawyered up.
    Dewey & LeBoeuf Retained to Protect Rights of South African Runner Caster Semenya
    read the new yorker article. they are not having such an easy time contacting her.

the writer tracked her down at the university. she's understandly not speaking much to the media.

Leave a comment:

• cacique

• cacique
    replied
    anyone see the latest issue of the new yorker magazine? it has a long story on l'affaire semenya, a very good read.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    [After seeing her in True Lies I could tell you that wasn't true.
    Yep, never entered my mind to question her gender, either.
    The point is that Jamie Lee Curtis could be AIS. Even if she isn't, other woman like her are XY.

Snopes ask the wrong question. She could be XY and be born with only female sex organs.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    [After seeing her in True Lies I could tell you that wasn't true.
    Yep, never entered my mind to question her gender, either.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by DentyCracker
    I believe Jamie Lee Curtis has disclosed this about herself.
    Are you sure?

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jamie.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/jamiel ... curtis.htm
    After seeing her in True Lies I could tell you that wasn't true.

Leave a comment:

• cacique

• cacique
    replied
    it's not clear to me that semenya has AIS, and thus in the same category as patino or others.

it doesn't seem clear either that semenya will return to competition in spite of what her coach says. iaaf seems silent on that matter too, no?

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    interestingly left unsaid is whether she'll be allowed to return to competition. and why is the outcome of this case different from that of sundarajan?????

in the NYT article, her coach seems to think she'll compete again as a woman.
    Why do I get the feeling that it will be a lot more complicated than they think? For one, some of the women (with the exception, perhaps, of Pamela Jelimo, if she can get back to 1:54.01 form) might be inclined not to step on the track if Semenya is among the entries. For another, I expect that the IOC will be incredibly strict when it comes to who is entered as what; and if they really can't make heads or tails in this matter, Semenya might not be allowed to run in London 2012.

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker

• DentyCracker
    replied
    Guess my belief was incorrect

Leave a comment:

Working...
X