Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaques Freitag out for the whole year.

According to the Swedish T&F Federation web-site
    Freitag needs an operation on his ankle and is gone for the whole year. Freitag himself draws paralells with the operation he had two years ago that needed one year of rehab.

Kajsa Bergqvist is out with a heel injury and will not compete in Budapest. She experienced pain in the heel during the meet in Tallin, Estonia. It sound like a bursa sac problem. I am not up on Swedish medical terminology.
    She is going for an operation and will need 6 weeks of rehab. She expects to be jumping full out in May.

Re: Jaques Freitag out for the whole year.

That's an awful shame for Freitag. Could be a while til he approaches good heights againm, if he ever does.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

>That's an awful shame for Freitag. Could be a while til he approaches good
      >heights againm, if he ever does.

I think we all smelled this coming a few weeks ago when his initial injury was divulged. Too bad.

Comment

The fact that it's the second operation on his take-off ankle and he's only 21 doesn't bode well for his long term career. I see parallels to Steve Smith and his premature retirement. I know most people think the triple jump exerts the greatest stress on the body but those forces are at least linear. The rotational forces at take-off in the flop are extreme and do awful things to the ankle and knee. Mine still hurt and I haven't jumped for 20 years. (now waiting for rebuttals from doctors, throwers et al...).

Comment

Should be a great Olympics for the Swedes!

Comment

marknhj,
            I agree with you re. TJ vs. HJ stress on the ankle.
            I am also concerned about Freitag's future. I remember Steve Smith as being extremely fast and agressive into his curve but I did not know that ankle problems forced his retirement.
            I sure hope that Staffan Strand who also had an operation on his ankle last fall will be back to 100%.

Comment

I agree, too... although the event is always physically demanding, it seems to me that TJ stress injuries are often associated with sloppy technique. In flop high jumping even sound technicians apply force to the foot, ankle and lower leg in so many directions that chronic injuries are common.

Just out of curiousity, how many of us have coached or known jumpers who nursed recurring injuries to the ankle area of the take off leg or had to quit jumping completely due to pain or damage? I know at least of couple.

My impression is that, back in the day, straddle jumpers had more knee problems than ankle problems since there were fewer rotational forces (unless you splayed a foot out at take off). Another random query, I think I had a blackish bruise on the back of the heel of my take off foot at the exact place where I planted down for about seven years!!! Any other jumpers experience that?

Comment

I had a perenially black toe nail on my big toe, from sliding in my shoe during take off.

Comment

jhc68,
                  It all sounds familiar. I was also a Straddle jumper and my left heel was tender for more than a full year after I stopped jumping. But of course that was straight line running and I believe most cinder tracks in Scandinavia were a bit softer than tracks in the US.

Freitag is listed as 6-8 1/2 and weighing 186 but in Paris I thought he looked more like 195. All that must put additional stress on his ankle. Maybe Holm, being so light, has an advantage we never considered.

Comment

I think I recall reading that Freitag had weighed quite a bit more prior to his first surgery and then, while rehabing, had slimmed down and jumped higher. Maybe an increase in wt. could have played a part in re-aggrevating it. On another thread there is a link to a video made 20 years ago with a computer geek kinesiologist analysing Beamon's WR and Carl's 30 foot foul in Indianappolis. The guy claims that given the forces needed to jump much beyond 30 feet, skeletal and connective tissue would be stressed beyond capacity and begin to snap under stress. Maybe we are approaching that point in the high jump? I don't know enough about the physics of it to say, but Pers may have a point about smaller being better in this instance.

Comment

here's another old straddler: I had a perpetually bruised heel on my takeoff foot, and had to wear as plastic heel cup inside my shoe.

Comment

>here's another old straddler: I had a perpetually bruised heel on my takeoff
                        >foot, and had to wear as plastic heel cup inside my shoe.

Was it bruised or plantar fasciitis?

Comment

I used a plastic heel cup, too... would have been hobbled without it!
                          >Was it bruised or plantar fasciitis? <
                          I don't think jumping would have been possible with plantar fasciitis, with me it was simply a perpetual bruise at the back edge of the heel. I think there was a lot of compression there at take off and the surface tissue got damaged. Sometimes it really hurt, other times just a fact of life, always it was nasty looking!

Comment

I don't think jumping would have been
                            >possible with plantar fasciitis, with me it was simply a perpetual bruise at
                            >the back edge of the heel. I think there was a lot of compression there at take
                            >off and the surface tissue got damaged. Sometimes it really hurt, other times
                            >just a fact of life, always it was nasty looking!

Just curious if you got it diagnosed. Maybe you had a high pain threshold.

Comment

Steve Smith had to retire due to constant problems with his achilles, if my memory serves me correctly. He was exceptionally fast on his approach.

Like you guys above, I had all of these problems. It wasn't possible for me to jump without a heel cup and having my ankle strapped. For most of my career I felt pain on every single jump. There are many photo's around that show what happens to the ankle at take off (if my Dad's reading this he should post some). In my day I was never offered surgical solutions to a bruised heel, you basically had to grin and bear it. The problem is you can never effectively rest it, just walking around impacts it. I also had plantar fascitis, I clearly remember almost leaping off the table when I had my first cortisone shot in the arch of my foot! Also had inflamation in the joint itself and had surgery to shave off a portion of my talus bone. The knee problems I had were tears in my patella tendon, had surgery and muliple cortisone shots. My retirement was caused by a freak occurance. The day before I departed for the LA OG's I competed in a club meet in the UK. Wasn't taking it at all seriously and had no competition. To my surprise I found myself attempting a new pr, 2.26m. On take-off my spike plate collapsed and I went ass over into the pit, got another tear in my patella tendon and never recovered. Failed my opening height for the only time ever in qualifying and said "sod it" and retired on the spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X