Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Male/Female Sprint Performances in the Same Meet?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Male/Female Sprint Performances in the Same Meet?

It's (always been) clear to me that accusing, insinuating or inferring that an athlete's performance(s) may be linked to drug use is not allowed on this forum. If you think about the high profile of the magazine as it relates to our sport and the potential for athletes, fans, coaches, family members, therapists, administrators etc to read this forum then you maybe able to understand some of the reasons for the prohibition.

This past weekend two of the fastest sprint performances in world history were witnessed in Shanghai and unfortunately we're not able to discuss them because the threads have been locked. It's not the first time that the discussion of great performances went the wrong direction causing threads to be locked, but hopefully the trend can slowed, if not reversed.

Smoke started a thread charging trackfans "to do better" and somehow even that plea to support our own interest goes awry.

Lets try to discuss the performances without the unsubstantiated innuendos that cause threads to be locked and posters to get banned.

To my question...

Are the performances by Tyson Gay and Carmelita Jeter the first time that both a male and female athlete has had performances of this magnitude in the same one off meet?
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

No, I recall Berlin 2009, when there was a world record set in the men's 100 and 200m I also recall a CR in the 4x100m for men and a World lead/Natl record in the women's 100m.

Shangai though, is a close second in my opnion.

Comment

No, I recall Berlin 2009, when there was a world record set in the men's 100 and 200m I also recall a CR in the 4x100m for men and a World lead/Natl record in the women's 100m.

Shangai though, is a close second in my opnion.

Comment

He said in a one off meet, so probably yeah, but because i missed it, i'm not so overwhelmed .

Comment

July 3, 1983, U.S. Olympic Festival at the Air Force Academy: Calvin Smith and Evelyn Ashford set WRs in back-to-back races, 9.93 and 10.79.

And yes, they were at altitude--2195.

Comment

I see, a one-off meet vs. championship. Makes sense now. I think I could go with that.

Comment

I agree. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                July 3, 1983, U.S. Olympic Festival at the Air Force Academy: Calvin Smith and Evelyn Ashford set WRs in back-to-back races, 9.93 and 10.79.

If we 'deflate' these to near-sea level, how close were they to the second fastest marks? Of course, we had winds of 2.0 and 1.2 this weekend so those provide substantial assistance.

It does bring up another question I have been thinking about. Bolt as been particularly 'unlucky' in the sense of getting little is any help from wind in his sequence of WRs. AP's WRs all had over 1.0 [original in error at 1.2] and one ex-WR had 2.0 (and a reaction time of 0.10x). What is the typical assistance supplied by wind and altitude. The answer is in the data supplied recently by [name misplaced in memory], but the data have to be reformated substantially to be able to do this (but it looks like the typical assistance is not large, surpisingly, but the data formatting might make errors so I will check)].

While looking at the data, by the way, how do '34' and 'Boldon' relate to these data?

Comment

Originally posted by dj

Aye. I watched them both, and went nuts when Evelyn finally took down a GDR mark. Even at altitude, few expected Jim Hines' 9.95 and Marlies Göhr's 10.81 (set just about a month beforehand) to go down so quickly and so easily..

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                    AP's WRs all had over 1.2
                    If AP is Asafa Powell, his WR runs were as follows:

9.77 +1.6m/s Athens 14/6/2005
                    9.77 +1.5m/s Gateshead 11/6/2006
                    9.77 +1.0m/s Zurich 18/8/2006
                    9.74 +1.70m/s Rieti 9/9/2007
                    Regards,
                    toyracer

Comment

I don't know

But the greatest sprintest one-day sprint double still goes to Ato Boldon (9.90 100m and 19.77 200m set in 1997 Stuttgart)

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
                        Originally posted by dj

Aye. I watched them both, and went nuts when Evelyn finally took down a GDR mark. Even at altitude, few expected Jim Hines' 9.95 and Marlies Göhr's 10.81 (set just about a month beforehand) to go down so quickly and so easily..
                        I watchted that meet too...I also saw the meet when she(Ashford) beat Gohr to set the record at 10.76......one of the rarest times track was shown on TV at that time

Comment

One would think that Mo Greene and Marion might've dropped something nasty in the same one off meet.
                          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                            One would think that Mo Greene and Marion might've dropped something nasty in the same one off meet.
                            I would add Tyson in that too.
                            But you know the next time Bolt enters both races, the "record" is going down..

Comment

I don't think they'd allow Bolt to compete in the women's race.

Comment

Working...
                              X