Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Bolt become the richest T&F athlete ever?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Bolt become the richest T&F athlete ever?

Chinese company is offering to make Bolt a very, very rich man.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2009 ... ness1.html

Re: Could Bolt become the richest T&F athlete ever?

Originally posted by shearer39

Oops just posted the same link will close mine

Comment

Re: Could Bolt become the richest T&F athlete ever?

Bolt offered US$100m Chinese contract
      I assume this is in the same Monopoly money that Beckham got his $250,000,000 in?

Comment

And why would you say that?

Comment

Because the hype and the reality rarely match. When Beckham came to America, it was widely ballyhooed that he had signed a quarter $BILLION contract. He won't see but a fraction of that (20% would surprise me).

To think that Bolt will actually earn all $100 MILLION from this contract in 5 years is pie-in-the-sky (IMO). I think that right now Isi may be the highest earner - and she also has a Chines clothing contract - but nowhere near this size.

Comment

Marlow, so you think the contract is full of performance-contingent incentives?

Comment

Originally posted by silva
              Marlow, so you think the contract is full of performance-contingent incentives?
              One would imagine, but even if he wins the next WC/OG and resets the records, do you really think he will be depositing 100M in his bank account? I just can't see it.

Now . . . if he adds the 400 (42.9), 4x4 (42.2r), and Long Jump (30'), THEN we could be talking some REAL pesos! :-)

BTW, assuming that CL or MJ have been the richest T&F athletes to date, what do you think their LIFETIME earnings were? Well south of $25M is my guess.

And yes, in answer to the thread title question, Bolt SHOULD become the richest T&F athlete in history, just not THAT rich.

Comment

Marlow, what you may be missing is that $50 million of Beckham's deal is believed to be guaranteed! That would make his deal more than 10x that of the next closest MLS athlete. Plus, if you averaged the top 20 salaries in MLS, it would be less than $500k.

This may be real, but the fact that the CEO of the company that is negotiating the deal wrote the article, it seems that there may be some gamesmanship at work. Either way, Li Ning has a deal with Isi for $7.5 million; my guess it that Usain is worth a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
                  Marlow, what you may be missing is that $50 million of Beckham's deal is believed to be guaranteed!
                  Zackly.

Originally posted by 7-sided
                  Li Ning has a deal with Isi for $7.5 million; my guess it that Usain is worth a little more.
                  I agree. $10 million is a little more. Less than $20M will ever change hands IMO.

Comment

Brace yourself Shearer, you're gonna some a that here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelpa
                      Why on earth are you so concerned about Bolt's earning potential? How/why does it impact you personally?

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                        Originally posted by Pelpa
                        Why on earth are you so concerned about Bolt's earning potential? How/why does it impact you personally?
                        There are atleast 4 persons here who are interested in discussing the burgeoning of track's greatest money maker ...... would you please stop interrupting? If you are not ,just pay us no mind, you are not being fair.

Comment

I have very, very big suspicions whenever enormous $$$ gets thrown around via the media. Usually, it's the agent, trying to pump his own reputation, who serves as the source for those inflated figures.

Only a few sports figures can command anywhere close to that, such as Tiger, Kobe, LeBron, and only because they're constantly competing for 8-10 months a year. What company would pay that much to a sprinter, who works about 5 months and whose event lasts less than 10 seconds (or 19 in the event of the 200)? Remember, the economy is terrible and people aren't buying apparel and whatnot like before.

Said it before, will say it again: The only sprinter who can approach NBA and NFL stars in $$$ is a white Usain Bolt who is American and whose personality goes beyond mere mugging for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by vip
                            Said it before, will say it again: The only sprinter who can approach NBA and NFL stars in $$$ is a white Usain Bolt who is American and whose personality goes beyond mere mugging for the camera.
                            I used to think that a great White American sprinter would break the bank, but then Jeremy Wariner proved me wrong. From 2004 to 2007, he completely dominated the 400, winning three global titles in the process, but he still didn't blow up anywhere near to the extent that I thought he would.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              I think that right now Isi may be the highest earner - and she also has a Chines clothing contract - but nowhere near this size.
                              Do you really believe Isi makes more than Bolt when you include her appearance fees? If true, that's pretty amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X