Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Originally posted by Rob
    I find this fixation the yanks have with Prefontaine highly amusing. And to read that his status of 'wannabe' (which is all he was on the world stage) is apparently "offensive" really is the icing on the cake. Offensive? To whom? Get a life.
    The Brits are just envious because their best distance runner is female. Get a life.
    That's not fair! Although it's probably true, sadly. We, like yourselves, are prone to long moans about the state of distance running. Never the state of men's distance running, the complaint is that we have no good distance runners. I never understood that.

First we had Liz McColgan become the first Briton to win a global 10k title, Yvonne Murray was winning medals and titles. Then we had Kelly Holmes and Paula Radcliffe winning Olympic titles and setting world records respectively and now we have 3 women running sub 1:59 for the 800m, and the world silver medallist in the 1500m. There's a bit of an alarming drop off in the long distances after Radcliffe and Jo Pavey, but we've got some extremely talented youngsters coming through the ranks like Steph Twell, Hannah England and Charlotte Purdue.

People never seem to mention this when they talk about British distance running. You'd think for some people, only the men count! It's very annoying.

Comment

[quote=Conor Dary]
      Originally posted by "bad hammy":18h3itul
      Pre was never bigger than Ryun, just different.
      This discussion really started with this comment. The rest above I ignored.[/quote:18h3itul]

Both had one thing in common: For whatever reasons (competitive season, primarily) their best racing came stateside. Ryun a big exception with the Mexico silver. But even when Prefontaine lost in Europe he was usually close until the end; Ryun had many races wherein he stunk up the place.

Both were bothered by physical ailments that probably contributed to any/all of the above shortcomings, either by racing while suffering from them or by the accumulated effect of hampered training beforehand. Ryun had debilitating allergies; Prefontaine, sciatica (and anyone who says sciatica isn't debilitating has never had it).

In terms of stats on the track, Ryun had the WR and Olympic silver; Prefontaine, a slew of AR's (beyond Ryun's prime distances), and an admirable competitive record both at home and abroad, but especially in domestic races (many of those involving foreign competition, BTW; anyone think John Ngeno, Nick Rose, Neil Cusack, et al are "bums" who are easily beaten--?).

In terms of personality, Ryun inspired by achievement (WR, Oly medal) while Prefontaine inspired by competitive example (racing toughness, especially against other Americans; before arguing this point, just ask any of those who raced him--if they're not the relative handful of jealous beatens, that is; few that they are, those people are out there.)

But in sheer terms of overall career--WR's, Olympic teams and medals aside--there is one American who tops them both as far as international competitive record...the only USA racer in the 70's to rank first in the world in the Mile/1500m. and 5,000m.--ironically, Ryun and Prefontaine's prime events--at a time when some incredible athletes were making their mark in those events (Bayi, Walker, Rono, etc.).

Marty Liquori.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
        I find this fixation the yanks have with Prefontaine highly amusing. And to read that his status of 'wannabe' (which is all he was on the world stage) is apparently "offensive" really is the icing on the cake. Offensive? To whom? Get a life.
        I feel the same about the Krauts fixation with Hasselhoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          Because Hollywood is in America and it panders to the American psyche - as well as spewing the usual propaganda. You soak it up as part of your regular medicine, which is fine - just don't expect the rest of the world to chase the same prescription.

In any case, films were also made about Viren (for example) - maybe you just haven't seen them?
          Every word you posted gave away yourself, do you know that? Was it your intent to reveal how much you hate America, or was it an accident?

Yep, we just a bunch on inbred cracker idiots who purchase whatever is on the tele. The American psyce? You make me sick, Rob, you are everything i hate about self rightous snob motherfuckers. Fuck off!
          phsstt!

Comment

Yep, we just a bunch on inbred cracker idiots who purchase whatever is on the tele. The American psyce? You make me sick, Rob, you are everything i hate about self rightous snob motherfuckers. Fuck off!

What happened to "good day to you"?!

:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              The Brits are just envious because their best distance runner is female. Get a life.
              Seriously,what the hell difference does Radcliffe being female make?
              She is every bit as gutsy, committed and inspiring as any male runner.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                Originally posted by Rob
                Seriously,what the hell difference does Radcliffe being female make?
                She is every bit as gutsy, committed and inspiring as any male runner.
                I meant timewise and it was a joke. Get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                  Such statements are offensive to any sense of historical fact. Do I need to restate my opinion that Ryun was CLEARLY the more important figure, if we're comparing him and Pre? There's no comparison, actually. But Pre's legacy--as many have already stated--is complex and goes significantly beyond times and medals. That's fine--and understood clearly by those who were "there" at the time--but it doesn't easily translate to another generation. Then, again as we know, we have the myth-building and commercial exploitation--which Pre himself had nothing to do with. So it's a complex situation.

So, Pre's importance can't really be gleaned from a simple examination of the all-time lists or the Olympic medal counts, and it is almost entirely a national reputation, not an international one. However, his importance IS real--and it is grossly unfair to historical fact to reduce him to a puny "wannabe" or a drunk--as posters above have done.

Oh, yes, and: Get your own life--I think you need one.

Comment

If everyone goes out and gets a life what happens to these boards?

I for one will continue to be lifeless for the good of the sport and this forum.

Without emoticons it really is hard to tell what is a joke and what isn't.

Comment

I for one will continue to be lifeless for the good of the sport and this forum.

mojo, that comment of mine was rude. I think you have a great life for what it is worth. I was really still mad at Rob.

Peace?

Comment

mojo, that comment of mine was rude. I think you have a great life for what it is worth. I was really still mad at Rob.

Peace?
                        No worries Conor. I appreciate your response very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                          Funny - I've read pretty much everything there is to read about Pre and seen the movies and I'd say that Bedford was every bit as charismatic and obviously a faster runner. My dad would argue Gordon Pirie beats them both!

Comment

Originally posted by John G
                            Funny - I've read pretty much everything there is to read about Pre and seen the movies and I'd say that Bedford was every bit as charismatic and obviously a faster runner. My dad would argue Gordon Pirie beats them both!
                            Pre was Pre. If you liked him great. If not....

Having said that, my memories of Bedford in the 70's was he was kind of a nut at the time. 200+ miles weeks, the pellet gun incident, 59 opening 400 in the Munich 10. etc. Of course a great talent.

As for Pirie. A great talent. I met PIrie in Boulder about 20 years ago. He was at Potts Field running around, giving advice to everyone. Only a couple of us knew who was.

Comment

Since Bedford has been mentioned on this thread, I'd like to throw in my 2 cents: Some might say that Bedford didn't amount to much, but I think he had guts and made many a race faster, honest and more exciting. I just wish he would have pushed the pace in the Munich 5000m!

Comment

Pre only had one international championship during his running career. He finished fourth and determined the final selection. Bedford never was going to be a factor at the end of a race if he was within hailing distance. Pre was still in college and still learning; he was bullheaded and that is both good and bad; the bad was being tamed but we never saw the results. It is widely believed that Viren was blood doing at the time, something now that is clearly illegal - without Viren in the race, Pre was in a good position to win as the other two were content to sit in and might not have been able to match the change in pace.

As for his demise, Moore makes a pretty good case that he did not die as a drunk driver simply driving off the road but as someone reacting to another driver out of position on a curve, hilly road.

People often complain about athletes not being willing to test themselves against top foes; clearly not only that not one of Pre's weaknesses, but something he actively pushed against.

Comment

Working...
                                X