Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US women high jumpers

Does anyone know why our lady high jumpers won't compete/decided not to compete in Budapest?

Re: US women high jumpers

maybe because they knew it was a waste of time ? If you can't jump 2 m you won't medal.

Comment

I've e-mailed Acuff to find out.

Comment

Here's what Acuff wrote in an e-mail this morning:

"In short, I need this time to train. With an unsually cold winter in Austin and only two indoor meets total I have not been on the pit very much. My fine timing isn't there so I don't want to fly all the way to Hungary to jump a mediocre height. With an all out qualifying round (1.95m last year) and a final the very next day I have to be honest with myself in realizing I'm not in "jumping shape" to do that right now.
        On the up side all those layers of clothing in practice add an artificial 10 pounds or so. I felt really strong and light in Boston. Now it looks like we are finally getting into spring here. I plan to open up in April at Mt. SAC, right around the corner."

Comment

not surprised by her response, it is in line with what I said earlier. Why go all the way to Hungary if you cannot effectively compete ? I agree with her decision. Hope she comes around and gets back up close to 2.00. Same for Tisha.

I's like to seem atleast one US lady hj'er make the final in Athens... but I predict it will take at least 2.04 to medal.

Comment

>Why go
            >all the way to Hungary if you cannot effectively compete ?

Because it's an excuse to travel to Europe! Maybe it's not a big deal to someone like her who goes there every summer, but as someone who has been only once an absolutely loved it, I would take ANY excuse to travel over there.
            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

>>Why go
              >all the way to Hungary if you cannot effectively compete ?
              >

Because it's an excuse to travel to Europe! Maybe it's not a big deal to
              >someone like her who goes there every summer, but as someone who has been only
              >once an absolutely loved it, I would take ANY excuse to travel over there.

I completely agree for you and me for example, but Amy's been all over the world and back umpteen times, and she knew she had no chance to do anything, she decided not to waste her time or USATF's money to go. And since no one else had met the standard, no entries.l I agree with her partly... but the other part of me says she has an obligation to fly the flag, if only weakly.

Comment

What happened to the fun of competing and representing your country? On the other hand, none of my business. Every athlete knows what they want in their career and how to accomplish it. Besides, it’s not like there were no other USA athletes in Budapest. Wish her the best.

Comment

Tisha Waller works full-time as a teacher. Her decision is understandable. I won't argue with anyone who puts a high priority on educating kids. I hope Tisha and Amy jump high, and jump high when it counts, this outdoor season.

Track & Field News Weekly Roundup

Top homepage posts for the week ending 05/29/2019:

Excerpts:

NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas

THE EBB & FLOW of the battle for the NCAA women’s team title this year has been fascinating. Chart 1:... Read More

The post NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over

IN OUR FIRST chart of the year, Florida was an 8-point favorite over SEC rival LSU for the team title.... Read More

The post 2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT

GÖTZIS, AUSTRIA, May 25-26—Damian Warner made history by becoming only the third athlete to win 5 times at Götzis, while... Read More

The post Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team

GULF SHORES, Alabama, May 23-25—The University of British Columbia (UBC) only won 3 events—the 5000, walk and hammer—on the men’s... Read More

The post NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF

“I’M STILL IN THE WHIRLWIND,” says Kenny Bednarek. Ever since the Indian Hills frosh led off his mind-boggling 19.82/44.73 double... Read More

The post Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil

MAY 13 brought the sad news of the passing of one of the sport’s truly larger-than-life figures, T&FN’s longtime European... Read More

The post RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Comment

<Why go
                    >all the way to Hungary>

Budapest and the Balaton are a fun place to go to. That's where we went on our honeymoon (of course, living in Slovakia next door at the time). Food is the best in the world.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                    X