Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio OG dates, weather

Checking to see the proposed dates if Rio gets the 2016 Games, looks like Aug 5-Aug 21. Driest and almost the coolest month of the year (ave. high, ave. low, ave. precip)

January 85.0° F 74.0° F 4.50 in
    February 86.0° F 74.0° F 4.10 in
    March 85.0° F 74.0° F 4.10 in
    April 82.0° F 71.0° F 5.40 in
    May 80.0° F 69.0° F 3.40 in
    June 77.0° F 66.0° F 3.20 in
    July 78.0° F 65.0° F 2.20 in
    August 78.0° F 66.0° F 2.00 in
    September 77.0° F 67.0° F 3.40 in
    October 79.0° F 68.0° F 3.50 in
    November 81.0° F 71.0° F 3.80 in
    December 84.0° F 72.0° F 6.70 in

Sydney in September (2000 OG were mid to late Sept) averages 68F and 52F for its high and low.

Re: Rio OG dates, weather

Originally posted by DrJay
    Checking to see the proposed dates if Rio gets the 2016 Games, looks like Aug 5-Aug 21. Driest and almost the coolest month of the year (ave. high, ave. low, ave. precip)

Sydney in September (2000 OG were mid to late Sept) averages 68F and 52F for its high and low.
    a dream for sprinters... suck for long distance runners

Comment

Re: Rio OG dates, weather

Originally posted by t_monk
      Originally posted by DrJay

a dream for sprinters... suck for long distance runners
      I don't think it sucks for long distance runners. Comparable mean values data (° F and inches) for other previous Olympics but Sydney (already mentioned above):
      Beijing Aug: 85-68 , 7.2
      Athens Aug: 90-72 , 0.2
      Atlanta Jul: 89-71 , 5.1
      Barcelona Jul/Aug: 82-67
      Seoul Sep: 77-63 , 5.4
      Los Angeles Aug: 85-66 , 0,1
      Moscow Jul: 74-57 , 3.5
      Montreal Jul: 79-58 , 3.6
      Munich Aug/Sep: 70-50 , 3.4
      Mexico C. Oct: 72-50 , 2.4
      Tokyo Oct: 70-57 , 6.5
      Rome Aug/Sep: 84-59 , 2.2
      Melbourne Nov/Des: 73-55, 2.3
      Helsinki Jul: 70-52 , 2.9
      London Aug 73-55 , 1.9
      Berlin Aug, 73-54 , 2.6
      Amsterdam Aug: 71-53 , 2.8

Expected temperatures as Montreal and Seoul, but quite a bit drier which benefits long distance running. The most sucking would be Atlanta.
      Regards
      Basslop

Comment

It seems silly to use average data for past Olympic Games, when we know what the temperature (max/min) and rainfall actually were during the T&F events of those Games. You say "the most sucking would be Atlanta," but IIRC it was hotter in Barcelona, Athens, and Beijing, and the rainfall number is meaningless--I don't remember it raining at all during the Atlanta Games.

Comment

Without looking, I'd guess the hottest OGs of the recent past, based on the memories I took away:

1. Barcelona
          2. Athens
          3. Atlanta
          4. Beijing

In fact, those are the only four for which I "remember" temperature at all. I'd rate Munich, Montréal, LA, Seoul and Sydney as all being just "normal days."

Atlanta and Beijing both caught way-lucky breaks in the weather. They could/should have been far worse. The OT in Atlanta was hotter than Barcelona.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Without looking, I'd guess the hottest OGs of the recent past, based on the memories I took away:

1. Barcelona
            2. Athens
            3. Atlanta
            4. Beijing

In fact, those are the only four for which I "remember" temperature at all. I'd rate Munich, Montréal, LA, Seoul and Sydney as all being just "normal days."

Atlanta and Beijing both caught way-lucky breaks in the weather. They could/should have been far worse. The OT in Atlanta was hotter than Barcelona.
            I think the relative humidity might be the real culprit here.

Comment

amazing to think that as hot as it gets in rio, it's not as miserable as summer in NYC...

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                amazing to think that as hot as it gets in rio, it's not as miserable as summer in NYC...

You have to remember - being in the southern hemisphere, August is late "winter" for Rio.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                  You have to remember - being in the southern hemisphere, August is late "winter" for Rio.
                  Even those average highs in their summer are pretty mild. It's all relative though. Our 60+ straight days over 100 this summer is pretty bad compared to most places not considered the desert.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelpa
                    Originally posted by gh

1. Barcelona
                    2. Athens
                    3. Atlanta
                    4. Beijing

No I was talking the pure searing quality of the sun.

Comment

Just to clarify about my climate table for past Olympic places previously in this thread:

The values are NOT the weather observations during the actual days of the games. It is the mean values for "today" which a think is the mean values for 1961-1990. The chosen month for each place is the month which the games took place.

So you do not need to have been in London in 1948 to know how "London Aug 73-55 , 1.9" feels like. It is just to compare what can be expected weather conditions among the different places. The reason why I took so many places is to hit as many people as possible "at or nearby home". Say you live in Montreal. Then can see the expected day temperature at home in july is about the same as the expected day temperature in Rio at the time the games will be held. You also see that the night temperatures in Rio are higher. Also Rio is drier.

As mentioned already by some, the relative humidity plays a significant role in how affects the body, especially for distance runners. Unfortunately these data was not available.
                      Regards
                      Basslop

Comment

The data comes from:
                        http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...forecast_link4

Scroll down the page to see the temperarure data and further towards the bottom to see the precipitation data. To look up other places, simply write the name in the input field at the top.
                        Regards
                        Basslop

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          I was stunned in Atlanta by how cool it was for this time of the year in this area of the country. The Europeans still complained some, but they had no idea what they had missed.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by gh

1. Barcelona
                            2. Athens
                            3. Atlanta
                            4. Beijing

Exactly. For all the bleating from the ignoranti, Athens had wonderful dry conditions for most the distance events.

Sitting out in the hot sun all day for the qualifying and decathlon counldn't have been much fun, however.

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
                              Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by gh

1. Barcelona
                              2. Athens
                              3. Atlanta
                              4. Beijing

Exactly. For all the bleating from the ignoranti, Athens had wonderful dry conditions for most the distance events.

Sitting out in the hot sun all day for the qualifying and decathlon counldn't have been much fun, however.
                              Exactly: "dry" making humidity the culprit and lack there of, the ease of enjoying a nice sunny day. Thanks for that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X