• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by gh
    If she says the right thing to the kids (and who can imagine she wouldn't), whether she's sincere or not, nothing but good comes out of it. Impressionable kids get a strong message about bad choices in life from somebody who paid the price and is a terrific communicator.
    And the message is . . . hypocrisy? She's only sorry she got caught. That was made very clear after she was exposed.
    Irrelevant. If it's young kids they'll know she was a famous person who did bad things and went to jail, even though she was rich and famous. And she has lost it all. If she gets up and says (and I"m sure she will), "Make good choices in life, don't be like me," then the mission is accomplished.
    Actually, I agree with both of you. Of course Jones is a self-serving, lying, insincere hypocrite, but young kids don't understand such things as phoniness. As long as she restricts her speaking engagements to elementary school kids and not high school kids, she'll do alright. I think it would be a terrible idea for her to speak to high school kids because they will see through her a mile away and some of them will inevitably call her on her bullshit. On second thoughts, maybe she should speak to high school kids. :wink:
    Dang!! And to think that I almost got into a fight over her "alleged use" before it was brought to light. I keep my mouth shut now, when the "alleged use" stuff comes up.

Comment

Good for Marion and the kids!!!!

Look at all the holier than thou's around here.

Y'all without sin, please cast the first stone........geez
      on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst

It's not Marion's cheating that bothers me, it's the fact that she continues to lie even after getting caught that irks me. I can defintely understand the temptation of an elite athlete to use PED's, so you'll never see me criticize those who get caught. But please, after you're caught, don't insult my intelligence. Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens were best friends and teammates who were both doing the same PED's at the same time. Why do you think Pettitte was forgiven and accepted back to the Yankees with open arms and Roger Clemens is a pariah and baseball outcast?

Comment

Originally posted by TrackCEO
          Marion, who lives in Austin with hubby Obadele Thompson and two kids, also owes the court 800 hours of community service. So maybe this appearance goes toward whittling that time down.

Good MJ archive here:
          http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/refere ... index.html

K E N
          Chris Browns community service is cutting weeds and picking up trash.So it's not like they have to have Jones do track related activities. ops:
          "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

It's not Marion's cheating that bothers me, it's the fact that she continues to lie even after getting caught that irks me. I can defintely understand the temptation of an elite athlete to use PED's, so you'll never see me criticize those who get caught. But please, after you're caught, don't insult my intelligence. Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens were best friends and teammates who were both doing the same PED's at the same time. Why do you think Pettitte was forgiven and accepted back to the Yankees with open arms and Roger Clemens is a pariah and baseball outcast?
            Did you see her interview with Oprah? She has done her punishment that was handed down to her. She deserves a 2nd chance in life, just like you, me, or anyone else who has made mistakes.
            on the road

Comment

Did you see her interview with Oprah? She has done her punishment that was handed down to her. She deserves a 2nd chance in life, just like you, me, or anyone else who has made mistakes.[/quote

Yeah, she does deserve a second chance, but not as a track and field spokesperson, unless she's going to emphasize "what not to do." Ben Johnson, Charlie Francis, they aren't getting "second chances" so why should she? At least they did admit their wrongdoing... She still pretends like she did not know what was going into her body...... And this discussion can go on and on..... I will end my part here... So if you disagree, fine... I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are... I'm not a judge by any stretch of the imagination..... If I were, then Ben Johnson would not be my all time favorite sprinter......... Holla....

Comment

Originally posted by feltdog70

Did you see her interview with Oprah? She has done her punishment that was handed down to her. She deserves a 2nd chance in life, just like you, me, or anyone else who has made mistakes.[/quote

Yeah, she does deserve a second chance, but not as a track and field spokesperson, unless she's going to emphasize "what not to do." Ben Johnson, Charlie Francis, they aren't getting "second chances" so why should she? At least they did admit their wrongdoing... She still pretends like she did not know what was going into her body...... And this discussion can go on and on..... I will end my part here... So if you disagree, fine... I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are... I'm not a judge by any stretch of the imagination..... If I were, then Ben Johnson would not be my all time favorite sprinter......... Holla....
                So now you want to put conditions on her second chance. Ben did have 2nd and 3rd chances to compete in the sport. No one said you weren't entitled to anything.

Again those of you perfect human beings, thank you for being perfect, you don't need a 2nd chance. But you know what, Marion doesn't need your approval on this.
                on the road

Comment

Did you see her interview with Oprah? She has done her punishment that was handed down to her. She deserves a 2nd chance in life, just like you, me, or anyone else who has made mistakes.
                  It was her interview with Oprah that shaped my opinion of her more than anything else she's done. She seems to have chosen the Pete Rose path who took 20 years to come clean, instead of the Paul Hornung path who came clean from the get-go. Clemency should only be given after you've come clean and that's why it was given to Pettitte but not to Clemens.

Comment

What's really sad? I bet half of those kids won't even know who Marion Jones is.

Comment

Well, she is on a path to do what she can to make sure kids don't make the same mistake. Marion will be doing some kind of youth talk and a clinic prior to the meet on Nov. 14."
                      I'll reserve judgment until we hear what her talk was about.
                      Regards,
                      toyracer

Comment

It's not Marion's cheating that bothers me, it's the fact that she continues to lie even after getting caught that irks me.
                        I'm irked by both. I cannot forget the grievous harm that she and other cheats have inflicted upon our sport and its public image.

Comment

It was her interview with Oprah that shaped my opinion of her more than anything else she's done. She seems to have chosen the Pete Rose path who took 20 years to come clean, instead of the Paul Hornung path who came clean from the get-go. Clemency should only be given after you've come clean and that's why it was given to Pettitte but not to Clemens.
                          What difference does it make when she came clean and if she is right wih God, that's all that matters. Can anyone on here, speak to what change she has made in her heart, can you? Now y'all can sit back in judgement all you want, but all of y'all living in a glass house, again cast the first stone, he who is without sin.
                          on the road

Comment

What difference does it make when she came clean and if she is right wih God, that's all that matters. Can anyone on here, speak to what change she has made in her heart, can you?
                            Speed, it offends me when people insult my intelligence. I wasn't born yesterday, and I'm telling you that the Marion Jones who appeared on Oprah is a fraud. Perhaps she's changed since then, but until I see eveidence that she's changed, I won't be rooting for her. Again I ask you, why was Pettitte given clemency but not Clemens? Until you can figure that one out, you'll never be able to see where I'm coming from.

Comment

What difference does it make when she came clean and if she is right wih God, that's all that matters. Can anyone on here, speak to what change she has made in her heart, can you?
                              Speed, it offends me when people insult my intelligence. I wasn't born yesterday, and I'm telling you that the Marion Jones who appeared on Oprah is a fraud. Perhaps she's changed since then, but until I see eveidence that she's changed, I won't be rooting for her. Again I ask you, why was Pettitte given clemency but not Clemens? Until you can figure that one out, you'll never be able to see where I'm coming from.
                              jazz, this isn't abut Clemens or Pettite, so you feel Marion has sold you a bill of goods, okay fine. She did her punishment that was handed down to her, you cannot deny that, the evidence she is attempting to show you and the rest of the world, is speaking to the youth. But see folks don't even want that to occur.

To me again, I take this position, I don''t know her heart, but I am willing to give her the beneft of doubt. You gave some baseball players as an analogy, well in baseball you get 3 strikes, are you willing to give Marion a 2nd strike?
                              on the road

Comment

Can anyone on here, speak to what change she has made in her heart, can you?
                                I'm not going out of my way to care about her or rehabilitate her with respect to track and field.

Now y'all can sit back in judgement all you want, but all of y'all living in a glass house, again cast the first stone, he who is without sin.
                                How do you define sin? I have not defrauded anyone, or cheated. Does that mean I can cast a stone?

Comment

Working...
                                X