Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievable lack of interest!!!

I'm flabbergasted at the lack of interest shown on this forum to the 5th Avenue Mile! In the womens' race we had two World Championship medalists, and in the mens' race Bernard Lagat: America's most successful 1500m/miler/5000m runner for ... for god knows how long. Of course, if Pre or Alan Webb had been in the race we'd have had dozens and dozens of postings!

Re: Unbelievable lack of interest!!!

Originally posted by FrankS
    I'm flabbergasted at the lack of interest shown on this forum to the 5th Avenue Mile!
    Minor League appearances

Comment

Of course, if Pre or Alan Webb had been in the race we'd have had dozens and dozens of postings!
      I imagine that Pre's appearance in the race would have considerable media attention as well. :-)

Comment

What's a Fifth Avenue Mile? From Saks to what . . . Tiffany's?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          What's a Fifth Avenue Mile? From Saks to what . . . Tiffany's?
          That would actually be less than a half mile.

Comment

I'm not shocked at all; it's a novelty race for which the novelty wore off years ago (unless perhaps you're actually standing on the street watching it).

Typically run by too many people already showing they're well past their peak for the year and just in it for the paycheck, and it's downhill, so the fast times mean nothing.

Comment

I suspect you could take that approach to how you view this race. I, for one, consider it more of a celebration for the athletes who have had a long summer track season.

I doubt most of the runners who win the prize money are that desperate for another paycheck. The prize money is pretty insignificant considering the money the medalists earned at Worlds and WAF.

Comment

And people wonder why track and field isn't very popular in the States. If track fans don't show an interest in such events, who will? Of course, in the Europe it's different. Usain runs in a "freak" early season race through the streets of Manchester, in the north of England, and generates terrific publicity for track and field, and it becomes a talking point with every sports' fan in the country.

Comment

I'm flabbergasted at the lack of interest shown on this forum to the 5th Avenue Mile!
                  Bolt wasn't in it.

Comment

Who would win in a mile race between Bolt, Rowbury, and Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      I'm not shocked at all; it's a novelty race for which the novelty wore off years ago (unless perhaps you're actually standing on the street watching it).

Typically run by too many people already showing they're well past their peak for the year and just in it for the paycheck, and it's downhill, so the fast times mean nothing.
                      Did a road mile EVER mean anything? (Serious question.)

If anyone's going to do this, you might as well emulate the Auckland Queen Street race, which is straight down hill. The winning times there have been in the low 3:30 range, if I remember...

Comment

Originally posted by BisonHurdler
                        Who would win in a mile race between Bolt, Rowbury, and Jesus?
                        Ditka

Comment

BBC News reported Baddeley's victory in the sports section, which I was very surprised about.
                          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

You have to talk up these things! Like I said previously, tell the media, tell your friends about the event. The people of Manchester came out in the thousands and thousands because the BBC and the press told them something that they should do. Something was happening in New York yesterday! An American woman, who had just won a World Championship medal, was competing; another American runner, who had run under the magic 4 mins for 1500m was running.; the top European female 1500m runner was competing. And, to top it all, an American middle-distance runner, whose glittering achievements far out-weigh those of Pre and Webb, was competing!!

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                              Bolt wasn't in it.
                              hehehehe.....well played sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X