Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UO Dan Steele to Univ Northern iowa

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UO Dan Steele to Univ Northern iowa

    http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

    This guy is quality all the way. UO's loss is UNI's gain.

  • #2
    No doubt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Lannana looking for a replacement.

      http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

      Know any good candidates?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jkjoregon
        Lannana looking for a replacement.

        http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

        Know any good candidates?

        Perhaps Bill Lawson will make a triumphant return
        There are no strings on me

        Comment


        • #5
          UNI is where one of Curtis Beach's buddies, Daniel Gooris goes. If Daniel is recovered from his foot injury, he must be doing back flips!

          Comment


          • #6
            I found it stunning that Oregon, with 122 coaches on staff (yes, I hyperbolize), felt so blindsided by this sudden defection.

            Not to get too far into the "I walked to school through the snow uphill both ways" line of thought, but christ, I was on a team that almost won the national championship and only got its first-ever actual paid assistant in January of that year, had no training table, a student trainer who wrapped ankles, no tutors, etc., etc.

            When I think that the NCAA imposes scholarship limits, then allows hundreds of thousands to be spent on on (sorry all you hard-working guys I appear to be trashing here) non-athletes... fah!

            Every $50,000 employee (including benefits) you have is, at most schools, at least 5 athletes who could be on a significant scholarship.

            The NCAA is putting the spending limits in the wrong place.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gh
              I found it stunning that Oregon, with 122 coaches on staff (yes, I hyperbolize), felt so blindsided by this sudden defection.

              I agree. I think maybe Oregon got so caught up in Eugene being "Tracktown USA" (i.e., that no one would want to be anywhere else) they forgot the lesson known by every Superbowl winner: Kiss your assistants good-bye!

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms...1-41/story.csp

                "Oregon refused to allow [NCAA decathlon champion Ashton Easton or NCAA heptathlon champion Brianne Thiesen] to be interviewed on Tuesday."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gh
                  I found it stunning that Oregon, with 122 coaches on staff (yes, I hyperbolize), felt so blindsided by this sudden defection.
                  I'm not surprised that UO would feel blindsided. Not that Steele left, but the timing. I think most school feel the moves occur during the summer, and once the school year starts your staff is pretty well set for the year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "Summer" season concept varies in academe as reflected by school year calendars. "Fall" term at U. of Tennessee started August 16 and graduation is May 7. But at U. of Oregon, "Fall" term did not start until September 29 and graduation is June 14.

                    Reports from Eugene indicate that UO athletic leaders knew about Steele's potential departure beforehand so it seems unlikely that they would agree with "blind-sided" and "defection" labels for their former colleague.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      From the original link at the top:

                      <<...UO director of track and field Vin Lananna admitted he was “caught by surprise” when Steele decided to pursue the head coaching position at the University of Northern Iowa,...>>

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gh
                        When I think that the NCAA imposes scholarship limits, then allows hundreds of thousands to be spent on on (sorry all you hard-working guys I appear to be trashing here) non-athletes... fah!

                        Every $50,000 employee (including benefits) you have is, at most schools, at least 5 athletes who could be on a significant scholarship.

                        The NCAA is putting the spending limits in the wrong place.
                        I'm not sure I buy your beef here. The schools that can afford highly-paid coaches and support staff are the same ones that would have no problem covering more scholarships were the NCAA to increase the limits.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm saying that compared to my days, every school seems to have lots of pork that would be better spent on athletes. (oh, sorry, student-athletes!)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gh
                            I'm saying that compared to my days, every school seems to have lots of pork that would be better spent on athletes. (oh, sorry, student-athletes!)
                            gh = curmodgeon.

                            That's not a shot. We're in agreement.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think Kelly Blair was "caught by surprise" also last year when they pushed her out so they could hire another distance coach. Kind of shortsighted to burn bridges with a talented alum...hindsight is 20/20.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X