Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abebe Bikila won the '64 Olympic marathon just 7 weeks after an appendectomy (and that would have been in the pre-laparoscopic days).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Abebe Bikila won the '64 Olympic marathon just 7 weeks after an appendectomy (and that would have been in the pre-laparoscopic days).
      Thanks gh. I really thought it was more crucial than that. Hernia's take longer to heal, as well as a grade 2 hamstring. Funny to think of for something that is not caught in time can be deadly.

Comment

The reason I started this little exercise is that when the question of #1 arose I was comparing Jeter's '09 season to Asafa's '07 season because I thought I saw parallels. National Champions, Third in the WC, Fastest time of the year, Dominating the circuit post-WC and Winner of the WAF are some of the things that came to mind, linking Jeter to Asafa, pointing in the direction of the #2 ranking. As gh mentioned to me, an athlete cannot be looked at in a vacuum; the season of their peers must also be looked at as well, which lead me to the Asafa versus Gay and Jeter versus SAF posts.

Before I started this I was inclined to think that SAF was an obvious choice for #1, but closer examination reveals that Jeter had a remarkable and long season, dominating her competition at the beginning and end of it. The crucial part though, the middle section, contained the World Championship and she faltered badly then. Jeter faltered, but SAF rose to the occasion, just as she did for her National Championship. In Berlin winning the World Championship she posted the fastest time in 10 years. The time is important because it showed that she didn't simply capitalize on bad performances by the other runners, she did her very best to ensure that she won.

The ranking would seem to hinge on the importance of actually winning the World Championship. In '07 it was obviously more important than setting a new World Record and dominating the post-WC circuit. What I've taken from this is that I do not envy those who are in charge of the ranking system. That said, I'll have no problem with either Jeter or SAF being #1 as I can see the case for both.
        Regards,
        toyracer

Comment

Working...
        X