X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=Ned Ryerson]
    Originally posted by "mump boy":2w63d5lt
    Originally posted by Jon
    Not so sure she can win either a European or Commonwealth track race. The Kenyans (Masai, Kibet, Cheruiyot) would be competing at the Commonwealths, while people like Abeylegesse and a handful of Russians we've not yet heard of who will magically improve from 16:00/32:30 to 14:45/30:00 in the space of a year could be competing at the Europeans. But I would love to see Radcliffe on the track again, just for old times sake, so it would be great to see her at a British GP or something.
    the best kenyans will not be at the CG and paula can kill off a few pesky russians abelegese is another matter
    That really doesn't sound like something that would be worth her having to sacfrice 20-30% of her potential income for the year if it conflicted with running a major marathon.[/quote:2w63d5lt]

I think what mump is saying is she will ultimately make more money, win bigger 26ers and last longer if she chills for awhile. It's an idea that has some legs, although to be honest i would love to see her run in my backyard next month.
    phsstt!

Comment

Apparently she IS planning to chill for a while. Article on the front page (scroll down) says she's thinking about having another baby before the London Olympics.

Comment

[quote=Ned Ryerson]
        Originally posted by "mump boy":7v435ra2
        Originally posted by Jon
        Not so sure she can win either a European or Commonwealth track race. The Kenyans (Masai, Kibet, Cheruiyot) would be competing at the Commonwealths, while people like Abeylegesse and a handful of Russians we've not yet heard of who will magically improve from 16:00/32:30 to 14:45/30:00 in the space of a year could be competing at the Europeans. But I would love to see Radcliffe on the track again, just for old times sake, so it would be great to see her at a British GP or something.
        the best kenyans will not be at the CG and paula can kill off a few pesky russians abelegese is another matter
        That really doesn't sound like something that would be worth her having to sacfrice 20-30% of her potential income for the year if it conflicted with running a major marathon.[/quote:7v435ra2]

i would hope that when you have more money than you could possibly know what to do with other thing become more important !! if she wins european or commonwealth gold medal it will be a big deal here and much more high profile than a city marathon. Squak is right i think laying off the marathons i the best idea he shouldn't be thinking about money at all right now the goal should be 2012 and the path there should be as relaxed as possible

having another baby would be the perfect olution for me :-)
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

You really think she has more money than she knows what to do with? For the rest of her life? She only has a few more years at her level and she knows it, which is why it makes sense to get as much as she can now because she's going to have fewer opportunities as time passes on. I'm sure she can find some paid role in the sport once she retires but London and New York won't be offering her these sorts of appearance fees then.

When sport is professional, it's a job.Gebrselassie might want to do some other race in January, but if Dubai offers him a million dollars, is it reasonable to expect him to turn it down?

Comment

Paula has unfinished business with NY because she still hasn't got the course record. She says she can get it down to 2:20 - and she isn't the sort of athlete to make such a prediction if her training didn't back it up. I'm guessing this year will be all about posting a fast time.

Like Mump (or was it Flump ........ it's like they're twins.. .. .. ...) I'd love to see her back on the track winning a medal in Barcelona but judging by her comments in the Guardian she'll try to fall pregnant as soon as possible after NY. A baby in late 2010 would give her enough time to make a comeback in late 2011 and have a good preparation for the OG.

Regardless, barring injury, we'll see lots more of Paula in years to come and I expect to see her doing a Joyce Smith in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
              You really think she has more money than she knows what to do with? For the rest of her life?
              well it depends on how greedy you are but considering she has with appearance fees, winnings, sponsors bonus' won at a guestimate $500,000 per big city marathon and has lived in monte carlo for tax purposed for years she is not struggling to pay the mortgage. if she wins on 2012 she can write her own cheque forever more in the UK
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                She is doing the right thing. In the twilight of her career she might as well make the money while it is available.
                I have no idea what the pay scale is like for over-the-hill marathoners, but I'm guessing she might have 20 years worth of relatively high-paying gigs if she wants to "world's fastest senior" route. Tie in race with pre-meet promo, etc., etc. Every time Joanie B shows up the promoters and media jump all over her. And I'd expect Radcliffe to be the WR holder for some time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  . And I'd expect Radcliffe to be the WR holder for some time to come.
                  After 19.32 went down so fast its hard to say BUT , i think she has it for at least 10 more years. I love to see Baby face commit to taking it down but still 2:15 is crazy.
                  phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    She is doing the right thing. In the twilight of her career she might as well make the money while it is available.
                    I have no idea what the pay scale is like for over-the-hill marathoners, but I'm guessing she might have 20 years worth of relatively high-paying gigs if she wants to "world's fastest senior" route. Tie in race with pre-meet promo, etc., etc. Every time Joanie B shows up the promoters and media jump all over her. And I'd expect Radcliffe to be the WR holder for some time to come.
                    she is one very smart woman who speaks several languages there are plenty of ways for Paula to make money away from athletics as well
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                      [

she is one very smart woman who speaks several languages there are plenty of ways for Paula to make money away from athletics as well
                      the moment she goes on Strictlly Dance whatever, shes outta my life!!

fortunately......they couldnt afford her! :P

Comment

[quote=mump boy]
                        Originally posted by "Ned Ryerson":3reybcal
                        You really think she has more money than she knows what to do with? For the rest of her life?
                        well it depends on how greedy you are but considering she has with appearance fees, winnings, sponsors bonus' won at a guestimate $500,000 per big city marathon and has lived in monte carlo for tax purposed for years she is not struggling to pay the mortgage. if she wins on 2012 she can write her own cheque forever more in the UK[/quote:3reybcal]

Less 30% in taxes as a non-US alien for all those NYC appearance fees.

No doubt she's earning a very healthy sum, but it won't sustain her for the rest of her life.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          I really meant big money. But you are right, like Steve Jones there are long term opportunities for someone with PR's c.v.

Comment

[quote=Ned Ryerson][quote="mump boy":t9fduvym]
                            Originally posted by "Ned Ryerson":t9fduvym
                            well it depends on how greedy you are but considering she has with appearance fees, winnings, sponsors bonus' won at a guestimate $500,000 per big city marathon and has lived in monte carlo for tax purposed for years she is not struggling to pay the mortgage. if she wins on 2012 she can write her own cheque forever more in the UK[/quote:t9fduvym]

Less 30% in taxes as a non-US alien for all those NYC appearance fees.

No doubt she's earning a very healthy sum, but it won't sustain her for the rest of her life.[/quote:t9fduvym]

well i don't know whtat kind of fat at salary you're on but her stash would see me throught till the day i died !!
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

I'm with you mump!

I am constantly amazed at how much money people they think they need.

I think Paula will be just fine.

Comment

I would guess that you don't keep a home in Monaco.

Comment

Working...
                                X