X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nevetsllim
    replied
    Originally posted by bhall
    She's out of World Half Marathon Champs. Article on the front page.
    Oh FFS :cry:

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
    Originally posted by doug091463
    how could they tax her on appearance fees? no one really knows how much appearance fees each athlete gets, or even if an athlete gets an appearance fee. isnt it like being paid under the table? how would anyone really know?
    She is paid by a US entity for services/duties performed in the US. If these were paid under the table, the IRS would object profusely. The NYRR can't expect to hand Radcliffe several hundred thousand dollars in cash and not draw the ire of any government agencies.
    Maybe it is partially for promotion services paid when she is in the UK. Fees are at least partially linked to the contract and we have not seen the contract.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    She's out of World Half Marathon Champs. Article on the front page.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    well this wasn't supposed to turn into an in depth discussion of paulas finances i just think that somethings are more important than money and 2012 should be one of those things.

with the money she has already made (and you know she has a great accountant) the money she would make if she won in 2012 or at any other champs untill then as well her considerable skills away from the sport let's just say there is no need to worry about paula

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    how could they tax her on appearance fees? no one really knows how much appearance fees each athlete gets, or even if an athlete gets an appearance fee. isnt it like being paid under the table? how would anyone really know?
    She is paid by a US entity for services/duties performed in the US. If these were paid under the table, the IRS would object profusely. The NYRR can't expect to hand Radcliffe several hundred thousand dollars in cash and not draw the ire of any government agencies.
    It would be complete lunacy on NYRR club to not report the income paid out. People have gone to prison for less.

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    All I said was that I think Paula will be just fine financially.

There was no opinion in there about what she should do with her money, her career or anything else.

Like that is any of my business. :roll:

I have enough people to worry about in my own little life thanks very much!

Leave a comment:

• doug091463
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    In addition to residing in Monaco, an athlete can also form a personal service corporation of some kind and have his/her payments made to an entity rather to the athlete individually. It's my understanding that some athletes do this in order to minimize income taxation. Not being a tax expert, I can't tell you exactly how this works (or even if it really works).

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    She still has to pay taxes on most money earned outside the EU, particularly in the US.

Her Nike contract certainly comes out of their international office in Amsterdam, and I don't know what the tax implications are, if any, in living in a tax haven while earning money from a company based in the Netherlands.

Besides, only she and Gary know the details of their spending and their long term plan. I still argue that it makes sense to earn as much as she can while she's a major contender, because who knows what might happen further down the road.

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    I would guess that you don't keep a home in Monaco.
    Nope.

I also don't think there is any harm in people downsizing their lifestyle....a Brit does not "need" to live in Monaco.

Anyway my comment was not about Paula. I just hear and read about what people say they need to get by and I am always shocked.

Needs and wants are two different things.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    and i would guess she saves a whole lot more livig there than coming home and paying tax !!

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    I'm with you mump!

I am constantly amazed at how much money people they think they need.

I think Paula will be just fine.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    [quote=Ned Ryerson][quote="mump boy":t9fduvym]
    Originally posted by "Ned Ryerson":t9fduvym
    You really think she has more money than she knows what to do with? For the rest of her life?
    well it depends on how greedy you are but considering she has with appearance fees, winnings, sponsors bonus' won at a guestimate $500,000 per big city marathon and has lived in monte carlo for tax purposed for years she is not struggling to pay the mortgage. if she wins on 2012 she can write her own cheque forever more in the UK[/quote:t9fduvym]

Less 30% in taxes as a non-US alien for all those NYC appearance fees.

No doubt she's earning a very healthy sum, but it won't sustain her for the rest of her life.[/quote:t9fduvym]

well i don't know whtat kind of fat at salary you're on but her stash would see me throught till the day i died !!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X