Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay vs. Powell; changing fortunes

With the Daegu meet last month, Gay and Powell have now met in the 100 on 14 occasions, starting in '06

Powell won the first 5 in a row, and was up 6-1 at the end of last year.

This year Gay went 6-1 (including the last 3 in a row) and so they're now even lifetime, 7-7.

(Gay and Bolt have only met twice, Bolt winning both times with a WR; and Bolt is 7-1 over Powell)

Tyson's record against Usain is significantly better in the 200m. I'm certain Powell's never raced either at 200m.

Comment

At the moment, it does seem that Gay has Powell's ticket....
      My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
        Tyson's record against Usain is significantly better in the 200m. I'm certain Powell's never raced either at 200m.
        Gay is 6-2 over Bolt in the 200 (Bolt hasn't beaten him since '06, but then again, they haven't gone head-to-head since '07).

You are correct; Powell has never raced either in a deuce.

(as always, thanks to Tilastopaja for easy sourcing on such things)

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
          And as long as Asafa runs his races as he has been since the ankle injury, Gay will indeed, IMHO, "have his ticket".
          Regards,
          toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
            And as long as Asafa runs his races as he has been since the ankle injury, Gay will indeed, IMHO, "have his ticket".
            i don't think it's asafa's ankle that's a worry it's his head
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Next year might be interesting....

Will Gay have his groin surgery? And if so, how will he recover from it?

I must admit, I'm stunned that a man who keeps talking about a groin injury can run faster than any American before him!
              :shock:
              My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

It's a subtle distinction, but it's not an "injury"; it's someting that hurts. Hurts a lot, to be sure, but apparently doesn't restrict his running other than making him grit his teeth a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                  I was referring to his running mechanics. Asafa has changed his start as well as the mechanics of how he runs, all supposedly due to the ankle injury and trying to cope with its effects.
                  Regards,
                  toyracer

Comment

Next year might be interesting....

Will Gay have his groin surgery? And if so, how will he recover from it?

I must admit, I'm stunned that a man who keeps talking about a groin injury can run faster than any American before him!
                    :shock:
                    ME TOO!!!

yeahhh with Gatlin on the track ...that will be fantastic... , will he be allowed to run in Diamond league ???? i really hope so but if Chambers wasn't able to get a single invitation in a A circuits even in GBR .....the things gonna bad for him
                    ( Gatlin ).

Gay probably will not run much next year !!!

once again Asafa will be the best in 100m due to the Bolt absence on that distances and not a championship years!!!

but keeping eyes on DIX and BLAKE
                    DO YOUR BEST!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doctor sprint
                      [.....

yeahhh with Gatlin on the track ...that will be fantastic... , will he be allowed to run in Diamond league ???? i really hope so but if Chambers wasn't able to get a single invitation in a A circuits even in GBR .....the things gonna bad for him ....
                      It was a group of European meet promoters that made a decision not to allow Chambers in. The Diamond League's scope will be far beyond that. I suspect we'd have an interesting legal battle on our case if the two U.S. meets in the DL "formally" announced he couldn't run (even though completely eligible for national teams, etc., etc.).

If the IAAF really wanted to drag the sport's reputation even lower than it is now (hard to believe, I know), I'd say that making this as a headline-grabbing situation would be about as dumb a decision as it could make in terms of PR/marketing the sport.

Comment

I was referring to his running mechanics. Asafa has changed his start as well as the mechanics of how he runs, all supposedly due to the ankle injury and trying to cope with its effects.
                        even so i don't think asafa's defeats have as much to do with mechanics or starting positions as they do with his complete inability to close a race when under pressure
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

even so i don't think asafa's defeats have as much to do with mechanics or starting positions as they do with his complete inability to close a race when under pressure
                          I second that..........

Comment

gay dix gatlin rodgers...things are going to be serious on that 4x1

Comment

Originally posted by MostKnownUnknown
                              gay dix gatlin rodgers...things are going to be serious on that 4x1
                              Yep, would be nice to see all 4 members healthy.........and maybe we can see them finish a race for a change.

BTW, Bolt, Powell, Blake, Carter is a scarier team......... Any chance we get to see both relay teams in the same race in 2010?

Comment

Working...
                              X