• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on the use of pain killers

(in competition, that is).

This letter to the editor crossed my desk this morning:

<<I don't know how the IAAF defines "performance enhancing drugs," but it
    seems to me that any pharmaceutical agent which allows a person to overcome the natural limitations of his or her own body should qualify. This, then, would include the painkilling injections Bernard Lagat and Steve Hooker received prior to their successful competitions in Berlin.>>

Funny he should mention that; in editing the WC coverage, that thought crossed my mind. Not that these two should have been "banned," but that the slippery slope of definition clearly comes into play here.

Thoughts?

Well the pain killers are definately performance enhancing, or they wouldn't take them.

I guess the arguement for there use is they dont allow the athlete to perform better then their natural ability, the only dull an unfortunate injury.
    phsstt!

Comment

Re: on the use of pain killers

Originally posted by gh
      (in competition, that is).

This letter to the editor crossed my desk this morning:

<<I don't know how the IAAF defines "performance enhancing drugs," but it
      seems to me that any pharmaceutical agent which allows a person to overcome the natural limitations of his or her own body should qualify. This, then, would include the painkilling injections Bernard Lagat and Steve Hooker received prior to their successful competitions in Berlin.>>

Funny he should mention that; in editing the WC coverage, that thought crossed my mind. Not that these two should have been "banned," but that the slippery slope of definition clearly comes into play here.

Thoughts?
      Slippery slope.................

One could argue that all drugs fall under "PEDs" because without them performance would probably be affected in one way or another. (without that Pepto on race day I probably wouldn't be comfortable enough or daring enough to take part in the shot) This is why there is a specific list of banned drugs and substances, so athletes know what drugs to take and which ones to avoid. But then there is language thrown in so that any substance not on the list that acts like a drug on the list or is a part of the group of drugs on the list is therefore banned. So what drugs are banned and what drugs are allowed? Damn I've fallen off that slope again..........

Comment

Steroids help athletes train harder with less risk of injury, with the result that they perform better in competition. Is it that different to someone taking pain killing injections during training to help them coninue training and then perform better in competition. I know this would not be done on a long term basis but then again many PED users only take drugs for short periods.
        Us armchair fans, lacking in medical knowledge, have little appreciation of the grey areas surrounding use of PEDs.

Comment

Originally posted by John G
          Steroids help athletes train harder with less risk of injury, with the result that they perform better in competition. Is it that different to someone taking pain killing injections during training to help them coninue training and then perform better in competition. I know this would not be done on a long term basis but then again many PED users only take drugs for short periods.
          Us armchair fans, lacking in medical knowledge, have little appreciation of the grey areas surrounding use of PEDs.
          Well, what sort of pain killers are we talking about here? Steroids are used as pain killers.......

Comment

If a performance is enhanced, than it fits the definition of PED.
            Now whether or not it's on the banned list, is the difference.
            on the road

Comment

I assume that what they took there was not on the banned list. Neither they nor their docs could be that dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil

Well, what sort of pain killers are we talking about here? Steroids are used as pain killers.......
                Corticosteroids (cortisone, etc.) are not anabolic. That's the class of steroids that's banned.

Comment

I don't think painkillers are PEDs. They don't enhance performance, if injured, they allow one to manage it.

Afterall...where would it stop? I mean aspirin are technically painkillers...no?

Tylenol as well.

A PED is something that would improve one's performance beyond that which they are naturally capable.

If someone's foot is sprained, for example, a painkiller doesn't enhance their performance. It eases the pain allowing them to compete.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

My educated hunch is that there is a lot of "slippery slope" stuff going on, and being encouraged, and tested, contributing to performance enhancement, and happening just outside of the "rules". Within the legality, but outside the intent and morality, as I see it...

Comment

An asprin at 50 (K)

To my personal knowledge, ultra runners routinely take aspirin and other painkillers to kill the pain that is a normal part of running for hours on end. This is not injury alleviation; it is performance enhancement pure and simple. "Don't ask, don't tell" works for ultrarunning. It should be applied more widely all sports.

Quick Silver
                      Hong Kong

Comment

One of my favorite quotes ever came from Jonathan Edwards' coach. "If they would let us stick the cortizone in his arse in February and March then we wouldn't have to stick so much of it in his ankle in August."

Not that I support PED use or believe it should be allowed, but this quote does brilliantly illustrate just how slippery the slope can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Barto
                          One of my favorite quotes ever came from Jonathan Edwards' coach. "If they would let us stick the cortizone in his arse in February and March then we wouldn't have to stick so much of it in his ankle in August."

Not that I support PED use or believe it should be allowed, but this quote does brilliantly illustrate just how slippery the slope can be.
                          How so?
                          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Corti-steroids are legal if used as anti-inflamatories, but the direct injection of them into the bloodstream is NOT legal because they have anabolic effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Barto
                              Corti-steroids are legal if used as anti-inflamatories, but the direct injection of them into the bloodstream is NOT legal because they have anabolic effects.
                              References, please.
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X