Clear All

• gh
    replied
    WADA now looking into clearance of Cannavaro

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=g ... &type=lgns

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    A big Italian soccer player just had his case dropped because he proved that a doctor had given him cortisone for a bee sting.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by bambam
    Originally posted by Barto
    Corti-steroids are legal if used as anti-inflamatories, but the direct injection of them into the bloodstream is NOT legal because they have anabolic effects.
    Corticosteroids are banned but not because they have any anabolic effects. They have no anabolic effects and are, in fact, catabolic. They break down tissue rather than build it up.
    I had already called Barto on this. He elected not to respond.

Are corticosteroids indeed on the banned list? Wasn't Sanya treated with Prednisone after being diagnosed with Behcet's? Can't you inject joints with steroid-containing cocktail?
    Corticosteroids are on the banned list but can be bypassed fairly easily with a TUE (therapeutic use exemption). I treat some of the PGA Tour players from time-to-time and we used them occasionally and I have to call the PGA Tour headquarters to let them know I am prescribing them for them, They may not be banned in all conditions, but I know I have to call every time I have used them.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Corti-steroids are legal if used as anti-inflamatories, but the direct injection of them into the bloodstream is NOT legal because they have anabolic effects.
    Corticosteroids are banned but not because they have any anabolic effects. They have no anabolic effects and are, in fact, catabolic. They break down tissue rather than build it up.
    I had already called Barto on this. He elected not to respond.

Are corticosteroids indeed on the banned list? Wasn't Sanya treated with Prednisone after being diagnosed with Behcet's? Can't you inject joints with steroid-containing cocktail?

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    Former US Marathon great Dick Beardley was in town this weekend for the Marathon, and was a guest speaker at the seminars.
    He also visited several high schools in the area, and spoke to the students.
    His theme was how he went from a world class runner, to dealing with severe addictions to pain killers, and persevered and came out the other side. I didn't hear the talks directly, but indirect feedback is that they were excellent,
    and very well received by the students.
    We're talking a lot of apples and oranges here. Beardsley was addicted to narcotic pain medication. The injections athletes get are usually corticosteroids, and also usually contain local anaesthetics. All very different medications with very different effects.
    Yes, of course, that is correct. I only mentioned that Beardsley became addicted to pain killers as an adjunct to the thread. The various issues that he had to deal with, were not related to his Marathon career.
    Dick spent a lot of the last week delivering his message to 6 High School assemblies in Victoria, and apparently was very well received.
    Sort of like World Class Athlete to Drug Addict and back again....If anyone is able to link on to the Times Colonist of today, Jack Knox column, "Ex-marathoner reveals secrets of great journeys", it is a good read...

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    Former US Marathon great Dick Beardley was in town this weekend for the Marathon, and was a guest speaker at the seminars.
    He also visited several high schools in the area, and spoke to the students.
    His theme was how he went from a world class runner, to dealing with severe addictions to pain killers, and persevered and came out the other side. I didn't hear the talks directly, but indirect feedback is that they were excellent,
    and very well received by the students.
    We're talking a lot of apples and oranges here. Beardsley was addicted to narcotic pain medication. The injections athletes get are usually corticosteroids, and also usually contain local anaesthetics. All very different medications with very different effects.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Thank you, 26mi235. 8 gms of aspirin/day is a huge dose, especially for a week or longer. I wonder, how many died of liver failure.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Aspirin packages were produced containing no warnings about toxicity and few instructions about use. In the fall of 1918, facing a widespread deadly disease with no known cure, the surgeon general and the United States Navy recommended aspirin as a symptomatic treatment, and the military bought large quantities of the drug.

The Journal of the American Medical Association suggested a dose of 1,000 milligrams every three hours, the equivalent of almost 25 standard 325-milligram aspirin tablets in 24 hours. This is about twice the daily dosage generally considered safe today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/he...ml?ref=science

Leave a comment:

• The Norwegian
    replied
    I think the word 'natural' always will be highly debatable, which is why I agree on speedfirst's comment that what matters is what's on the list. The rules are the rules which is how it should be

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Interesting coincidence on pain killers (including a literal sense). A recent paper (NY Times today?) had a piece about how aspirin might have been complicit in some of the deaths during the 1918-19 flu pandemic. It had recent been available as a generic (Bayer patent ended) and was available with no warning labels, advised for use in treating the flu (at least it symptoms) with sometimes very large doses. Interesting piece, although it states that is is likely only a small impact on the total number of deaths.
    You don't recall the dose, I assume. It'd be great, if you could dig it out ;-).

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Interesting coincidence on pain killers (including a literal sense). A recent paper (NY Times today?) had a piece about how aspirin might have been complicit in some of the deaths during the 1918-19 flu pandemic. It had recent been available as a generic (Bayer patent ended) and was available with no warning labels, advised for use in treating the flu (at least it symptoms) with sometimes very large doses. Interesting piece, although it states that is is likely only a small impact on the total number of deaths.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Steriods does enhance performances
    Anabolic steroids, undoubtably yes. Barto claims that corticosteroids "administered in bloodstream" (I assume, he means IV route) also have a PED effect. This I have never heard before, that is why I asked for references.
    Of which I am referring to (anabolic steriods).

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Steriods does enhance performances
    Anabolic steroids, undoubtably yes. Barto claims that corticosteroids "administered in bloodstream" (I assume, he means IV route) also have a PED effect. This I have never heard before, that is why I asked for references.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by John G
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    I don't think painkillers are PEDs. They don't enhance performance, if injured, they allow one to manage it.

Afterall...where would it stop? I mean aspirin are technically painkillers...no?

A PED is something that would improve one's performance beyond that which they are naturally capable.

If someone's foot is sprained, for example, a painkiller doesn't enhance their performance. It eases the pain allowing them to compete.
    My understanding is that steroids don't enhance performance, they permit someone to train harder with less risk of injury resulting in enhanced performance in competition. Pump a load of steroids into you without training and you'll just get fat. Quick Silver's example of ultra runners using aspirin seems very similar: aspirin helps them cope with the pain of training, enabling them to do more, resulting in enhanced performance in competition.

Going back to your definition of a PED: "something that would improve one's performance beyond that which they are naturally capable." Couldn't the same be said of oxygen tents or hi-tech running shoes?
    A Speedfirst said, I believe steroids do enhance performance- along with the ability to permit someone to train harder (as you stated).

The definition of PEDs that I posted was just my opinion given off the top of my head. And yes, I agree that hi tech shoes and Oxygen tents could do the same things just not to an illegal degree.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X