Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collegiate Tracksters went Pro?

I was wondering has anyone heard anything about any of the top athletes that went to the pro circuit early. I was actually looking for Porsche & Jessica of Tx A&M to go to the pro circuit early. I know this is an Olympic year, but sometimes some still leave early for the pros anyway.

There's zero benefit to going pro in 2010 - no Olympics or World Championships. Financially it will be beneficial to get another year of development at the collegiate level before shopping for pro contracts in the next Olympic cycle(2011+).
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      There's zero benefit to going pro in 2010 - no Olympics or World Championships. Financially it will be beneficial to get another year of development at the collegiate level before shopping for pro contracts in the next Olympic cycle(2011+).
      That's accurate if you're still in school, if you graduated then you gotta start making that living.
      on the road

Comment

Not to mention the current economic situation, which is having an impact on the pro T&F ranks.

Comment

Anybody who "went pro early" did it in the window before this summer's European Circuit.

Comment

There's zero benefit to going pro in 2010
            There's zero 'benefit' . . . . or zero 'opportunity'?
            If the opportunity exists (endorsement deal), then the benefit exists.
            There's also a benefit if you're good enough to earn money (>$50K) on the circuit.

Comment

WOW! So if you're a junior in college & you made it to worlds & place top 3 in the finals, you still wouldn't get a nice offer to go pro? If so, I guess I rather remain competiting on the collegiate level as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                That's accurate if you're still in school, if you graduated then you gotta start making that living.

Umm, yeah.

But an underclassman like Beard is who will have a decision to make, and who we're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  There's zero benefit to going pro in 2010
                  There's zero 'benefit' . . . . or zero 'opportunity'?
                  If the opportunity exists (endorsement deal), then the benefit exists.
                  Unless the benefit "now" is alot less then the benefit in a year, when the athlete is better and makes for a more lucrative contract.

Comment

Originally posted by HotTrack
                    WOW! So if you're a junior in college & you made it to worlds & place top 3 in the finals, you still wouldn't get a nice offer to go pro? If so, I guess I rather remain competiting on the collegiate level as well.
                    You might get a "nice" offer, but not AS nice as in a year. That's where some good counsel comes in.

Comment

If you made it to the Worlds, unless you're a Jenny Barringer you would probably have signed a deal after the high finish at USATF.

But if you didn't, there's a $20,000 prize cheque waiting for you from the IAAF if you make the leap then, and as a medalist, you could pick up a few decent dollars for the last month of the season, particularly if your agent worked hard at getting you into the remaining meets.

Comment

Umm, yeah.

But an underclassman like Beard is who will have a decision to make, and who we're talking about.
                        My comments are not talking about Beard, it was stated top athletes.
                        on the road

Comment

I could be wrong, but I doubt you'll see Brathwaite competing for a four-year school in 2010.

Comment

Umm, yeah.

My comments are not talking about Beard, it was stated top athletes.

So you don't think HotTrack was talking about underclassmen when he/she said EARLY?

Originally posted by HotTrack
                            I was wondering has anyone heard anything about any of the top athletes that went to the pro circuit early. I was actually looking for Porsche & Jessica of Tx A&M to go to the pro circuit early.

Comment

With Felix and Richards being the alpha dogs in the 200 and 400 at the world level, the shoe companies aren't likely to be throwing huge money at Lucas or Beard at this point.

My take on the methodology could be wrong, but from where I sit, while having "all the medalists" is important to the footwear dudes, what really matters is having No. 1 sewed up, and if there's doubt, you start hedging your bets. In those two events, not a lot of backup required with a 23- and 24-year-old having a lot of tread left on the tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X