X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruth Wysocki
    replied
    Re: HGH test

It was around all right. I first started hearing of HGH on a regular basis in 1984. It is truly disgusting to me to think that it has never been tested for in all these years. A wide open opportunity to cheat amongst all the testing that was going on. It really wouldn't matter if samples were available to test now or not. It wouldn't give back stolen opportunities for clean athletes. All I know for sure is that I can sleep well at night and live with myself knowing that everything that I did was clean.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Originally posted by Ruth Wysocki
    Too bad they can't go back 25 years or so.
    But was HGH around then, or was it more primitive cocktails in conjunction no random testing that prevented people from being caught?

Edit: In retrospect, maybe you mean it's a shame no samples remain from that era to test for all the drugs on the WADA list?

Leave a comment:

• 7-sided
    replied

Originally posted by Vault-emort
    If authorities did find half the medallists from the 04 or 08 Games were on something through a retro test, would the powers that be allow such a s/storm to hit the news or would it be a case of 'cover up at all costs'?
    I think the "s/storm" is usually grossly overstated and a manifestation of our frustration and/or cynicism towards PEDs. WADA, if I'm not mistaken, would conduct the tests - whether the event was IAAF or IOC. So, I'm going to naively assume that they will do the right thing. The issue, to me, is whether or not the IAAF and/or IOC call for the samples to be tested in the first place, because I don't think that WADA can test them without the request. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Ruth Wysocki
    replied

Originally posted by valleyrunner
    So the head of WADA warns they can go back and test as far back as 8 years. Hmmmm, and who exactly will they go back and test? Everyone from 09 worlds? 08 Olympics, Medalists to start with? Just curious what process they will use to do this testing?
    Too bad they can't go back 25 years or so.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied

I think what will be interesting (in a perverse way) over the next decade or so is if/when IAAF or the IOC or WADA do anything significant with the frozen samples. Aren't the Rogges of the world always saying 'if we don't get you now, we will in 5 or 10 years time'?

Anybody know if a portion of these frozen samples have been tested yet? Is there any strategic plan? Are they just waiting for some new retro-test to be proven bulletproof? Since the window for retro-testing is 8 years, the 2004 blood will need to be re-tested or purged in the next couple of years.

It's been horrific enough to have all these BALCO etc DQ's years later because of (non-test) evidence from the past. If authorities did find half the medallists from the 04 or 08 Games were on something through a retro test, would the powers that be allow such a s/storm to hit the news or would it be a case of 'cover up at all costs'?

Although I'm very much against legalising PEDs in sports, I'm not sure I'd like to be the one at the top considering that moral and ethical dilemma.

Leave a comment:

• tjallen
    replied

Here it is, now official - the HGH test exists and works.

Baseball Plans to Test for H.G.H. in Minors
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/sp...all/24hgh.html

NYTimes says there is now officially an HGH Test, someone has been caught (in rugby) and minor league baseball in US will start testing for HGH now. Read all about it

Edit - yes I read Daisy's link above, but this is the NYTimes, not Cycling News. Now, everyone knows! And already, sports officials are being called publicly to test for it.

Leave a comment:

• Half Miler
    replied

Any details as to the breakthrough which now allows for an accurate test?

Also,
    recent scientific studies have also suggested the expensive drug is worthless in increasing athletic performance.
    I'm with Pego on this one.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied

Curious as to how the test works.

Leave a comment:

• richxx87
    replied

It will be interesting to see if anybody retires unexpectedly now.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied

Originally posted by valleyrunner
    So the head of WADA warns they can go back and test as far back as 8 years. Hmmmm, and who exactly will they go back and test? Everyone from 09 worlds? 08 Olympics, Medalists to start with? Just curious what process they will use to do this testing?
    Just like they do any random test, pick a name or if they obtain any suspicious information, guess who's next to test.

Leave a comment:

• valleyrunner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied

Originally posted by Daisy
    3) We keep hearing they are close but has anyone ever been busted for HGH?
    And the first athlete busted for HGH is.
    "This is an exciting major breakthrough that has been the result of many years of careful research with WADA," said King's College London Drug Control Centre Director, Professor David Cowan.

Well, whoever elects to use HGH and get's busted, is an idiot from this point forward. Certainly there are other means (drugs) available, among other things.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

3) We keep hearing they are close but has anyone ever been busted for HGH?
    And the first athlete busted for HGH is.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    If they can't test for it, why not just take it off the verboten index? Without concomitant steroids it is useless as a PED anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    great PR to be able to tell the public you have a test though, and these guys are very big on style over substance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X