Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USATF Youth Athlete of the Year

You have to be a USATF member to see this, but here are the nominees for 2009 USATF Youth Athlete of the Year:

https://www.usatf.org/groups/Youth/prog ... /index.asp?
    Ashley Aldredge
    Kendall Baisden
    Trevor Barron
    Alitta Boyd
    Keenan Brock
    Michelle Brown
    Kori Carter
    Lauren Chambers
    Jennifer Clayton
    Alex Collatz
    Ryan Crouser
    Wayne Davis
    Ebony Eutsey
    German Fernandez
    Mason Finley
    Carla Forbes
    Chalonda Goodman
    Prezel Hardy
    Jordan Hasay
    Bryce Love
    Joshua Mance
    Conor McCullough
    Dale Morgan
    Gunnar Nixon
    Bridgett Owens
    Ashton Purvis
    Raevyn Rogers
    Daesha Rogers
    Chelsey Sveinsson

I guess Curtis Beach missed the age cutoff by 10 days.

Seems to be Hasay vs. Fernandez.

Or do they give two awards?

K E N
    K E N

Comment

My vote goes to Chalonda Goodman. They should do a male and female vote instead of grouping it together. My male vote would go to youngster Bryce Love.

Comment

Another name missing is Reggie Wyatt.

Comment

Maybe it would have been shorter for them to have listed those people who are not nominated :-)

Two words for next year: screening commitee

Comment

I know Fernandez is technically young enough to be included, but I think including a college athlete sort of violates the spirit of an award to YOUTH athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
              I know Fernandez is technically young enough to be included, but I think including a college athlete sort of violates the spirit of an award to YOUTH athletes.
              I agree with you, I was surprised to see his name on their as well.

Comment

He is suddenly older because he competes with more seasoned athletes? I thought one of his key showings was at the WXC Jr race, then he mixed it up with the big boys. What more do you want in a Youth athlete?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Maybe it would have been shorter for them to have listed those people who are not nominated :-)

Two words for next year: screening commitee
                  My immediate thought as well. Narrow the number of nominees down to single digits and include a bio, so that the voting is more informed.

As to having separate boys and girls awards, that is not going to happen. This award is given out at the Jesse Owens Awards dinner at the USATF convention at which they also give out the Jesse Owens (elite athlete) Awards, the Top Masters Award, the Giegengack (service ) Award, A Humanitarian Award, and induct new members into the National Hall of Fame. It is a long program already. There are lesser multiple youth awards and those are given out at the separate Awards Breakfast at convention.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                    My immediate thought as well. Narrow the number of nominees down to single digits and include a bio, so that the voting is more informed.
                    There are bios for each of them if you click the link I posted (and if you are a USATF member).

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                      There are bios for each of them if you click the link I posted (and if you are a USATF member).
                      Wow, Fernandez is a youth? Anyhow, surely there should be both a male and female award, and I think I would go with Finley for the male award and Goodman for the female.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                        He is suddenly older because he competes with more seasoned athletes? I thought one of his key showings was at the WXC Jr race, then he mixed it up with the big boys. What more do you want in a Youth athlete?
                        It is USATF's definition of Youth, not the IAAF's (which is younger). The definition is set up to generally include only high school athletes, and to exclude those who have an unfair advantage by being older. This age distinction (usually it is defined by can't be 19 before JO Nationals) is not one made anywhere else in the world (that I know of) because most other countries do not have this prep->intercollegiate system that we do.

So if we're using USATF's definition of youth that is designed for high school-aged athletes, my personal opinion is that the award should exclude age-eligible athletes who had a full year of college under their belt.

I think Fernandez had a greater advantage by being in a college environment (more time for training, better coaching, better food, better facilities, better trainers, better competition, etc) than Beach did by being 10 days too old for the cutoff.

That's the logic I used, I don't expect anyone else to agree.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                          . . . and I think I would go with Finley for the male award and Goodman for the female.
                          I might have gone with Beach and Anna Jelmini, but neither are on the list.

Comment

***Im Looking For Robin Reynolds And She Is Also Not On This List***
                            ":iR0UTE"

Comment

Jelmini is also a few weeks too old, and it looks like Reynolds didn't do enough USATF Championship events.

Comment

Working...
                              X