Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a "new look" Millrose next year?

See story posted to front page: USATF and Armory Foundation teaming up to "save" the meet (which will stay in MSG).

Norby's M.O. is buried in the story:

http://www.newsday.com/columnists/john- ... -1.1527698

At the Armory - a fabulously appointed competition site that had been overrun with drug dealers among the homeless before Sander resurrected it from decay - Sander wants to stage a Millrose qualifying meet, not only for Millrose high school races but also for the Wanamaker Mile.
    Norby stands to make a pretty penny from these qualifying events. Nothing is free. Nothing is what they seem in Norby World.

Review my Norby posts:

May 2009: http://masterstrack.com/blog/005633.html
    May 2009: http://masterstrack.com/blog/005620.html
    June 2006: http://masterstrack.com/blog/003700.html
    March 2006: http://masterstrack.com/blog/003586.html
    February 2006: http://masterstrack.com/blog/003556.html

Bottom line: USATF and Millrose should beware Norby entanglements.

But he's a sacred cow in N.Y. track circles, so don't expect any local papers to explore his history of self-enriching adventures.

K E N
    K E N

Comment

from the original release:

<< Logan though, who took over as CEO of USATF last year, already has proved to be a tough character that’s committed to returning track and field to the public eye and away from the grips of traditionalists.....>>

and then

<<..Sander also announced that 1996 Olympic gold medalist, Derrick Adkins, will serve as associate director of the Millrose Games. An advisory committee has been formed to assess and improve the quality of the meet which includes NBC’s Larry Rawson, Howard Schmertz, New York Road Runners’ president Mary Wittenberg. ....>>

(not meant at all as a slam on those named, but if we're not talking traditionalists......)

But obviously, I'm toast!

<<He intends more attention to every individual athlete, with complete pre-event introductions, more readily identifiable uniforms - school colors at the least - better public-address calls during races to keep the spectators informed and involved.....>

Comment

Originally posted by gh

<<He intends more attention to every individual athlete, with complete pre-event introductions, more readily identifiable uniforms - school colors at the least -[b] better public-address calls during races to keep the spectators informed and involved.....>
        I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile goal, but it's not easy to require readily identifiable uniforms for the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          <<He intends more attention to every individual athlete, with complete pre-event introductions, more readily identifiable uniforms - school colors at the least - better public-address calls during races to keep the spectators informed and involved.....>
          I look forward to this change. It seems to bring more intrigue to the event when you're given more information about the competitors in it.

Comment

[quote=But he's a sacred cow in N.Y. track circles, so don't expect any local papers to explore his history of self-enriching adventures.

K E N[/quote]

He's a sacred cow for very good reasons. I doubt that Sander has become wealthy through his involvement with the Armory, but, even if he has, he deserves every penny. There are now more than 100 events staged at the Armory from December through March! What other facility in the world can make that claim? And Ken, if you still want to keep slamming Sander, start your own thread--don't hijack this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
              He's a sacred cow for very good reasons. I doubt that Sander has become wealthy through his involvement with the Armory, but, even if he has, he deserves every penny.
              Norby's Armory Foundation is a nonprofit charitable organization with public IRS reports. It''s not meant to make anyone rich. Read my posts.

Just pray USATF's Millrose contract with Norby is ironclad. USATF thought it had a solid contract for the Armory to host the 2007 USATF masters indoor nationals. But Norby bailed -- because he didn't see it as making enough money.

http://masterstrack.com/blog/003556.html

K E N
              K E N

Comment

A former Armory employee wrote me this:
                (Sander has) spoken in the past about bringing Millrose to the Armory exclusively. SO that is where it is headed.

The issue now is that he will make it into a NY Area based meet for colleges and high school, plus local NYRR club teams. but the overriding issue is the Garden is way too expensive to hold the meet. Union fees have killed it.

So this is really a play to own the meet at the Armory.

BTW, I don't care who he has on the advisory board, USATF will not put dollar 1 into this meet and Norb will have problems raising the cash to hold it at the Garden.

However, he has always used HS meets as the bulk of his revenues at the Armory and I see him looking to use that money to fund this as he does with this money losing Collegiate Invitational.

He always had his eye on this meet, but I guarantee you it will end up at The Armory within 2 years.
                K E N
                K E N

Comment

Why in the world are you slamming Dr. Sander for attempting to take on a meet that no one else wants? As Walt said, he's done far more for track in this area than anyone else, and has turned what was a huge derelict building into a major center of the sport that holds more meets than any other single facility in the country. Now he wants to try to save Millrose, a meet with a long history and deep attachments for NY area fans, but one that has been dying a slow death before our eyes, and you slam him for it with your petty innuendo. Your little vendetta, whatever its origins, is really deeply distasteful and misguided.

Comment

Amen, brother. And, as big a fan as I am of Norb Sander and the Armory, I would lead the campaign to prevent the Millrose Games from ever moving to that facility. But I strongly doubt that will ever become an issue.

Comment

The thought of anyone "enriching themselves" or "making a pretty penny" in T&F is hilarious on its face. If one's primary goal were enrichment I can think of a multitude of activities much more likely to provide it than track.

Comment

Um, so if I digested this correctly...Larry Rawson is to be on advisory committe with stated goal of better public adress announcing of races.

Oh, okay.

Comment

Not that I think it's ever going to happen, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing the meet moved to the Armory. I've competed there numerous times and they always put on a great meet. Not to take anything away from the Millrose Games and the history of it being held at MG, but if the Yankees can move to a new stadium and still preserve the history of the team, then surely we can move a meet to a new facility and preserve it's history (especially when the new facility is also the home of the Track and Field Hall of Fame). And if somebody happens to make some money in the process in order to make it happen, so be it. Plus I like the idea of having the Millrose Games on a standardized 200m banked track (puts it on par with the other Visa Championship Series facilities).

Comment

You can move the meet to the Armory, but then you don't sell enough tickets to bring in enough top-end athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              You can move the meet to the Armory, but then you don't sell enough tickets to bring in enough top-end athletes.
                              What's the capacity at the Armory?

Comment

Working...
                              X