Szabo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Szabo

The Times from London is reprting that the French police found a suspected banned substance in a car owned by Gabrielle Szabo. Let's hope it proves to be false. Here's the link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 07,00.html

Re: Szabo

I just discovered this board yesterday...

The post above is one of the reasons this board will become such a treasure.

Comment

If I told Gabi once, I told her a thousand times, "I don't care if Ben Johnson is letting his Ferrari go cheap; don't buy it!"

Comment

Here's more detail. It says that the IOC no longer classifies it as an endurance enhancer but it's still on the banned list. What sort of sense does that make?

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=21163.html

Comment

Whoops...wrong link...

http://www.sportserver.com/track_field/ ... 5282c.html

Comment

Tell me... SO WHAT if the substance is found to be a banned drug? That proves that she had a banned drug in her car that she wasn't driving, not that she used a banned drug, or even that she was in posession of a banned drug. If she doesn't test positive or admit to use (which she's obviously not going to), what can anybody do about it?

Comment

The fact that Jos Hermens - who also manages Geb among others - is trying to do damage control adds to the stink. Some guys joke that only white males are subjected to true, year round random drug testing. Maybe their jokes aren't far off.

Comment

If you were her manager, what would you be doing if not damage control?

Comment

I think he's referring to the fact that someone with Hermen's rep. is the one who turns out to be managing her, and is backpedalling like mad. Whether his rep is deserved or not, I'll leave that to another thread. But I've heard all the stories.

Comment

This story, like any story that throws suspicion of drug use on an athlete, saddens me. Because lack of conclusive proof of drug use does not prove innocence, once an athlete is suspected it casts an inescapable shadow over his/her career. Whether or not the drugs actually are Szabo's and whether or not their use has enhanced her past performances, everything she has done and everything she does do on the track will now be suspect. A frustrating reality for both the athlete and the fan.

Comment

More from the BBC. It appears that Szabo grassed on a 10k runner, Mihaela Botezan. Very odd and sad. Still, I can't understand why the IOC says this stuff is no longer considered as performance enhancing yet is still on the banned list. Can anyone shed any light on that statement? Since discovering this site last week my production at work has fallen 50%! I hope the T&FN guys realise how lucky they are that this is work for them!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/3031535.stm

Comment

>I think he's referring to the fact that someone
                        >with Hermen's rep. is the one who turns out to be
                        >managing her, and is backpedalling like mad.
                        >Whether his rep is deserved or not, I'll leave
                        >that to another thread. But I've heard all the
                        >stories.>>

Stories are for the letsrun board; let's keep this one for facts. Please?

Comment

Just let her off , there was no intent here. She had nothing in her system, did not fail a test. If her Federation reaches the same conclusion as the USOC , Carl Lewis case, which was no intent , than that's the end of the story. Other countries should adopt the USA style of protecting athletes.

Comment

I think many other countries DO protect their athletes far more than the US does.

Comment

Can't really think of any... only the UK comes close.

Comment

Working...
                              X