X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DentyCracker
    replied
    Re: USA men drop 4x4 baton

Short of injury I could not see anyone apart from the very best 400m runners in the world holding off Davian that day. He was in very good form, having run 45.92 in the flat 400. In terms of raw ability he definitely has it. Yes, he hasn't run faster than at Atlanta in 1996. I think he has more innate ability than Greg Haughton (my distant cousin). This is a guy who ran 45.21 as a junior. Had he not been injured in 2000 I believe he would have beaten Haughton. This is a guy who beat Obadele Thompson twice over 200m at the Carifta games, at age 16 and at age 17. Barring injury, I expect him to go to that sub 44.6 this year. I do take your point. The whole thing is a big what if. I have no doubt of his abilities as an anchor but agree that proof will be when he passes someone good on anchor. I hope that won't happen at the Olympics as I hope he'll get the baton in front and stay there.

Leave a comment:

• Conway
    replied

>< "there was no way xxxxxxxxx was going to be beaten on anchor" How many
    >times have we seen that disproven? >

To be candid, Denty cracker was not
    >discussing xxxxxxxxx but Davian Clarke. The guy is a real monster at 4 x 4.
    >(and always has been)
    His credentials at the event are impressive. Just last
    >year I was privileged to witness him anchoring Jamaica to 4 x 4 gold at the Pan
    >Am Games after receiving the baton behind the US anchorman. Jamaica probably
    >blundered at the world championship by moving him to the third leg and it
    >probably cost them the race. Nevertheless, he won his leg and handed over in
    >ist place to the outgoing runner. Athens should be interesting with both squads
    >at full strength.

To be REAL honest, its easy to look good when you're running against "B" & "C" level competition ... Yes Clark ran down an American anchor at Pan Ams .. But let's be real and note that the US hasn't taken the Pan Ams seriously since the 70's ... The US 4x4 at last years Pan Ams were a bunch of young guys in training basically ...

Clark does have skills ... He's run a 43.8 split .. But running 44s in the relay is expected if you even want to compete at that level ... In Athens almost every team in the finals will have at least 2 men running under 45 on their relay legs ... When Clark runs down someone of note, then talk of greatness can take place ...

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

I don't think you're missing much, except that some people are more motivated by team ahievements than by individual accomplishments. Those guys are often far better as relay runners than in their individual events.

Two prime examples: Antone Blair at Tennessee in the early-'80s, and Reggie Pearman at NYU in the late '40s. Pearman ran down Herb McKenley on several occasions when they were in college, but "never" beat him in an open 400/440.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

I must be missing something important here. I am NOT denigrating Clarke's obvious talents, but he's not in the elite tier (sub-44.60), so why is he so unbeatable? Bigger names than his have been beaten by 'lesser' talents.

Leave a comment:

• FORTISDON
    replied

< "there was no way xxxxxxxxx was going to be beaten on anchor" How many times have we seen that disproven? >

To be candid, Denty cracker was not discussing xxxxxxxxx but Davian Clarke. The guy is a real monster at 4 x 4. (and always has been)
    His credentials at the event are impressive. Just last year I was privileged to witness him anchoring Jamaica to 4 x 4 gold at the Pan Am Games after receiving the baton behind the US anchorman. Jamaica probably blundered at the world championship by moving him to the third leg and it probably cost them the race. Nevertheless, he won his leg and handed over in ist place to the outgoing runner. Athens should be interesting with both squads at full strength.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

"there was no way XXXXXXXXX was going to be beaten on anchor."

How many times have we seen that disproven?

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker
    replied

No chance at a win but it was less satisfying to win after the USA fell. It seemed to me that Mendel (who ran a very good leg, overtaking Mike McDonald) stepped on the inside of the curb and fell. We had made a very good exchange and there was no way Davian Clarke was going to be beaten on anchor. Trip cost US the silver.

Leave a comment:

• Track fan
    replied

Indoor 4*4 is a total joke it's not the best team in terms of speed but the team who can navigate the opposing teams in the frentic exchange and run efficient bends on the two lap circuits. I regard indoor track the way purists regard the arena league of football......

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

I'm amazed that they still got 3rd. They might have actually won had it not been for that mishap. Regardless, our "B Team" has gained some experience. I can't wait to see the telecast.

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied

"We didn't exactly send the A team to Budapest."

B team. B-otched.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    started a topic USA men drop 4x4 baton

USA men drop 4x4 baton

So what else is new? From the IAAF site:

"But Mendel was tired. So tired that before he had had a change to pass the baton to his team mate, his legs gave out on him, there was a trip, and in a moment, the baton was gone from his hand and on to the floor."

We didn't exactly send the A team to Budapest.
Working...
X