Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.A. Marathon

Any thoughts on the new format of giving the elite women a 20:30 Min. head start and paying an additional 50K to the first person across the finish line at L.A. this year?

Re: L.A. Marathon

I thought it was one of the more creative ideas for a marathon in awhile. It kept me going back to the TV to check progress when normally I watch the start, then check on the finish around an hour and a half later.

I know I won't usually miss much because the local affiliate will have filled the time with "human interest stories" and they invariably miss the crucial breaks.

This time I wanted to watch the men "catch up" to the women. The women's winner ran a heck of a race in that heat (I live in the LA area and it was HOT!)

Comment

It's a good idea, audience-wise. They just have to have a well-chosen time difference(like LasVegas oddsmakers could determine), based on entries, race history,etc. Anything that will make the event more appealing.(and that goes for other events, besides marathon. It's all about rewarding excellence, whether gender or age.)

Comment

i think it is a good concept, but the record difference between the mens and womens record is 10 minutes and 30 seconds, not 20 minutes and 30 seconds. anyway podnyakova running 230 in that heat at age 49 is amazing, if the men and women started together her time would have placed her 16th overall of the over 24 thousand runners, amazing.

Comment

Working...
        X