X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurdler
    replied
    Re: 400 meter vs 400 hurdle time conversion

Hi there from UK. First time ever on here - glad to find as many T&F nuts as me! I was a 400 Hurdler and my pb was 51.8 (vs flat pb of 48.8). Although didn't run many flat 4's (vs hundreds of 400H) so expect that the true differential would be 3.5 sec.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

You could try using the mercier tables, to help give a rough idea:

http://desert.jsd.claremont.edu/~newt/track/Mercier/

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

As a former collegiate 400H (OK, it was the 440H back then), I see the problem with a 'conversion' two-fold. 1) is the obvious one - technique, but 2) is the notion that some people can have smaller differentials, even with so-so technique, because they are not 'tired out' as much by hurdling as others. I had impeccable (well, I did!) technique, I was fit, I was aggressive, I could alternate lead legs, I 'understood' the event, but I remained 3-4 seconds off my flat time, because the ninth and tenth hurdles kicked my butt every time. Just getting over them took too much out of me. A fellow hurdler was 'slower', had much worse technique, was equally fit, but he went over those last two hurdles as if they were the first and second, and always caught me in the end. We trained identically. There really is no way to tell what your differential will be till you do it.

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

Roughly speaking, I would say that at a world class level the conversion is between 3 and 4 seconds (i.e 400m speed is 3-4 seconds faster than 400m speed).

As you get slower the conversion interval increases so at 51-52 sec 400m speed I'd say the conversion is more like 5-6 secs (i.e. 56-58 secs).

Many examples of athletes seem to bear this rough conversion out but note that this conversion assumes good hurdling technique.

Anu hurdling coaches out there agree or disagree.

Leave a comment:

replied

You add 2"5 for a good hurdler and sometimes
    much more for others...

Leave a comment:

• trackcoach
    started a topic 400 meter vs 400 hurdle time conversion

400 meter vs 400 hurdle time conversion

Just curious of the approximately time conversion of say of 50-52 second 400 meter runner, to run a 400 meter hurdles (assuming the runner has decent technique) and good 800 meter base?

I have an idea, but am looking for more actual facts from other coaches or athletes that have run both events.
Working...
X