X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COE QUITS!!

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/ ... 8578.shtml

Re: COE QUITS!!

I appreciate a grand stand on principles as much as the next guy, but how the hell does that help his point, if he just quits the fight? Why not stand and fight? If it's that big a deal to you, then fight the bastards tooth and nail. Now his opponents just have an easier row to hoe (unless he thinks the martyr effect will take place). Obviously I don't have all the facts, but this move seems counter-productive to something he feels very strongly about.

Comment

It's difficult to evaluate Coe's overall strategy in his entry into the 21st century for UK athletics.

Appears the old fuddy duddies, who have a pure amateur ideology, haven't died off yet.

The popularity of Atheltics in Britian is far larger than the states, so perhaps some public debate may spark modernization attempts.

We shall see how this plays out......after all wasn't London supposed to be the host for WC 2005...

and then when th stadium deal fell through it went to Helsinki?

Comment

>The popularity of Atheltics in Britian is far larger than the states<

Do you have a source to back that up?

Comment

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/text8-5-2002-23876.asp

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/ ... Spo6.shtml

eurosport.com has track and field as a primary sport whereas our local espn.com has it listed amongst others.....

deduce from there...??

Comment

It seems pretty clear to me that a considerably higher percentage of Brits follow athletics than Americans do.

Comment

>>The popularity of Atheltics in Britian is far larger than the states<

Do
              >you have a source to back that up?

Plus, pretty much ALL American athletes (when interviewed by the UK media) say themselves just how much bigger and well-supported athletics is in the UK (and most of Europe for that matter) compared to the US. They all say that back in the US, they can go shopping, go out, etc and not be recognised at all, but when they come to Europe, they will often be mobbed, etc.

Comment

There's no question track is far huger in virtually every European country I've been in.

Comment

>There's no question track is far huger in virtually every European country I've
                  >been in.

Ahem...shouldn't that be track & FIELD?

Comment

In this respect, the US is the backwater of all backwaters...

Comment

Mark, how about a general comment from you on the popularity of Track and Field in the UK as opposed to USA ? You're in a good position to offer a good evaluation.

Comment

Aside from anectdotal statements and links to sources that offer nothing, I am still waiting for a legitimate source.

Popularity among amateur participant athletes in North America and particularly the US is still strong, but big meets or TV coverage is falling or flat at best, which means popularity among armchair athletes has fallen.

Find a good source for Track and Field participation numbers in N. America vs. Europe.

Comment

Absolute numbers of participants is not really going to answer the initial question (as least as I understood it) on "popularity." That's why I specifically talked in terms of percentage of the populations that follow the sport...

Comment

>Find a good source for Track and Field
                            >participation numbers in N. America vs. Europe.

Or maybe compare the subs numbers for T&FN in the US with subs numbers for Athletics Weekly in the UK (i.e. how many people-per-copy of the magazine for the population of each nation).

Comment

>"Mark, how about a general comment from you on the popularity of Track and Field
                              >in the UK as opposed to USA ? You're in a good position to offer a good
                              >evaluation."

There's no doubt that T&F is much more popular in the UK and Europe than over here, it's not even close. The stars are household names, equivalent to Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Barry Bonds et al. The main difference though is the general public are more knowledgable and watch the sport. Plus they know the foreign stars as well as our own. Most top American athletes are unrecognisable to the American public but if they walk down a street in Munich, Paris, Oslo, London people know who they are. One of the main attractions of this site to me is that I can chat regularly about T&F. I haven't had that luxory for over 20 years. Many of my friends are sports fans but, apart from Olympic year, know nothing about T&F.

The other difference is that America is much more insular in it's sports culture. Our domestic sports are all hugely popular but the country really gets going for the international events(remember, I was in a pub at 8am on Saturday with several hundred Brits, Irish, Aussies and Kiwi's, watching Ireland's fluke vicory over England at Rugby!) Even normally non-sports fans get behind the national team. The atmosphere in the whole country is impacted and you wouldn't believe the level of support for our soccer/rugby etc. teams. When we won the recent Rugby WC over 750,000 people lined the victory parade route. There is nothing like it in the US, especially since the end of the Cold War and the end of the USA vs. USSR rivalry.

Comment

Working...
                              X