Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If-Looks-Could-Kill Department

You should have seen the way Ceplak was looking (or NOT looking) at Mutola on the victory stand in Budapest after Maria pulled one of her bulldozing jobs during the 800. Joetta Clark could probably relate. I was a bit surprised the protest was denied; if it had been anybody but Mutola, suspect they would have dropped the hammer on her. I got busy elsewhere, so didn't notice what happened when they were supposed to do the traditional "group hug" after the medals were presented.

For one DQ that was clearly the right call was the one on East (costing him the 1500 bronze) for riding Rotich out to the rail in the homestretch. Clearest case of obstruction I've ever seen perhaps.

Re: If-Looks-Could-Kill Department

Any further news/gossip on the Stember vs. Lagat thing?

Comment

Did this stuff follow the usual frequency or did it seem like there was more of it going on?
      I ask because I saw quite a few new names (to me anyway) in the races and I remember what happened when the Kenyan women were first starting out in the 5 and 10km. Bam! Pow! Looked like the old camp Batman show.
      How much indoor experience had some of these folks had? Mutola, yes, but maybe she got a little ticked from the new kids closeness?
      Ah, whatever.

Comment

>I was a bit surprised the
        >protest was denied;

Garry:

Just curious, did Ceplak actually submit a formal protest? I listened on the BBC feed, and they were surprised that Ceplak didn't lodge a protest. However, perhaps she had but BBC wasn't aware. Did you (or anyone else out there) see the incident?....Do you think Mutola should have been DQ'd?

Comment

Yes, a protest was definitely lodged (even if the BBC missed it!).

Yes, I saw it (can't recall if it I saw it live or on a replay on a monitor, but def. saw it). If it were a race in the U.S., where things are called for more tightly, she would have been DQed in an instant. In Europe it's a tougher call, but as I noted in the original post, if it had been anybody but Mutola.....

Comment

Please describe when and how the "bulldozing" happened for those of us who haven't seen anything of the meet (and who aren't likely to, if Fox Sports Net isn't on our cable system).

Comment

<if Fox Sports Net isn't on our cable system>

Even if it is, how in the world can they squeeze 3 days into 1 hour? Excluding commercials, interviews and yap, I expect 20-25 minutes of action, tops.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
              X