• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJD
    replied
    Re: same old media complaint, yet again

>REAL Canadians go to websites like this one:

http://hockeyfights.com/

They aren't learning. One of my bros went to the Bos/Buf game last night and that site describes 2 of the fights that went on:

http://hockeyfights.com/fightlog.asp

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

>
    "Football is reasonably
    >understandable but rugby and, more so, cricket sure aren't. Centuries and all
    >that nonsense."

One of my favorite sports commentators quotes came from cricket. England were playing the West Indies; they had a fast bowler named Michael Holding and he was facing England's Peter Wiley (pronounced willy). As he appraoched the commentator said, " The bowlers Holding the batsmans Wiley" !

Wonder what Rawson will come up with tomorrow?

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Americans, it seems, want the meat and potatos of sports... they want the juicy and the raw.

It seems like no one wants what:s good for them, only what makes them happy.

I believe that is the problem with athletics as a national sport in the USA. How many fans have you seen at an athletics meet with a Budweiser in hand, a cigarette between their fingers and yelling at a referee for some offense on the track - or on the field? Football works for those drunks, because the zig-zagging on the field is exciting, while the circling on the track is dizzying.

Can you imagine a football game where the PA announcer says, "Quiet please, the quarterback is about the call the play"?

Leave a comment:

• ZZrunZZ
    replied

MJD -

Here's all you need to know about Rugby.....and we thought T&F had problems with media coverage!!!

http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=news&id=9703

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Mind you, I do realise my attitude
    >is the same as most Americans towards football (the one where you use your
    >feet).

Football is reasonably understandable but rugby and, more so, cricket sure aren't. Centuries and all that nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>REAL Canadians go to websites like this one:

Good one. Never seen that site before. Please tell me that you googled it up and don't have it bookmarked! When you think about it, however, you figure that this happened Monday and the guy has been tried and convicted and penalized in less than 3 days. Compare that to the doping offences(in any sport). Where are the ACLU types? One might argue that he was clearly guilty but that's what trials are for.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

I went to a Ducks game once and a fight started after about 5 seconds (only go when vendors give me tickets and also hopefully limo full of booze!)...tried getting into it when Gretzky played for the Kings and they made the SC Final. Didn't have a clue what was going on though. Mind you, I do realise my attitude is the same as most Americans towards football (the one where you use your feet).

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

REAL Canadians go to websites like this one:

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>That guy should get charged with assault and banned for at least a year. I
    >don't like hockey at all; the fighting is ridiculous, it's more like WWF.

He's out for the rest of the year and playoffs which will cost him about 500k. I think there may be a suspension for next year to come. Team got a 250k fine not to mention that they were one of the favourites going into the play-offs and this guy is a key player. The sport has a "tradition" of this kind of nonsense. The first one that is burned into my mind before you would have come here was the Maki-Green incident. Look at number 3 on the following link. It was during an exhibition game!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/top10/ ... ights.html

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

That guy should get charged with assault and banned for at least a year. I don't like hockey at all; the fighting is ridiculous, it's more like WWF.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>Perdita is still on the front pages of the sports sections up here even today.

Everyone up here has forgotten about Perdita:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8960507972

Been dominating the sport and front pages for 3 days.

Leave a comment:

• bf
    replied

I just had an idea of how T&F(women's, anyway..) could become America's NUMBER ONE spectator sport, overnight! If some cable channel or internet site would do it. The idea came to me while reading about the ancient Greek olympic games. Specifically, the "attire" of the day.....

Leave a comment:

• go pre
    replied

>Tennis and golf get acres and acres of coverage with no local-team angle. As
    >does NASCAR.

Indeed, when you think that in each of the pro leagues there
    >are only 32-odd cities which have teams, that means that 99% of the cities in
    >America don't have a local team to follow but papers fill up with it anyway.
    >They publish what the bulk of the people want, and unfortunately, it's no
    >longer track.

good point about tennis, golf and, god forbid, nascar. i guess my theory kinda sucked. but it's not really accurate to say that 99 percent of the cities in america don't have a local team to follow. i live two hours away from green bay and about four hours from milwaukee, but i consider the packers, brewers and bucks my local teams.

but, as you said, papers try to satisfy the greatest number of people. and most people don't really care about track unless it's an olympic year.

the drug scandal is getting so much coverage because it's not common. novelty is one of the things that make news news.

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

"Still, with the advent of the INTERNET, no one should go unsatisfied."

That's not the point. The point is the average sports fan who reads his daily sports section doesn't know there's such a thing as track & field, aside from the drug stories, that is.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

>In the ideal world, given unlimited space, a newspaper WOULD cover
    >EVERYTHING.

But a newspaper has to select which stories would have the
    >greatest interest within their reading public.

Unfortunately, it's the smut
    >and scandal, the lowest common denominator which finds its way,
    >DISPROPORTIONATLY, into most newspapers.

But why? Why would a reader care about who is getting tossed out of a sport when they don't care about the sport to begin with? If someone got thrown out of the sport of curling for steroids, I wouldn't care -- because I don't care about curling to begin with. Sorry, I ain't buying that explanation. Frankly, I don't think most sports page readers care a whit about t&f steroid busts, because they don't give a damn about t&f to begin with. I think it's only newspaper editors who care.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X