Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dang - I saw that hiring announcement (very) recently while thumbin thru some old TFN and I was going to use it for some trivia deal - hoping to catch one on Garry - no can do now!!! Congrats on Anniversary

Comment

I hope they gave you a gold clock for all your years of sterling service! Do they do that in the States? Over here if you've worked all your life for a company, they give you a gold watch or clock (if it's one carat you're lucky), but usually when you retire.

Seriously, all congrats. I can't imagine spending that long in one place. But if you love it then you're very lucky. How are you celebrating?

Comment

Thanks for the first 40

now give us 40 more
        Tom Hyland:
        "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Congratulations Garry and keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
            I hope they gave you a gold clock for all your years of sterling service! Do they do that in the States? Over here if you've worked all your life for a company, they give you a gold watch or clock (if it's one carat you're lucky), but usually when you retire.
            But he hasn't worked his whole life there . . . yet!

Comment

How about a jewel encrusted stop watch with 40 diamonds?
              phsstt!

Comment

Congratulations! They say that the first 40 years are the toughest...should be a piece o'cake from now on.

cman

Comment

And here I thought this thread was about the 40th birthday of actor Patrick Fischler and actress Jennifer Ehle.

Happy 40th, Garry !

Comment

Pretty amazing for a guy that is 52 years old I'd say.
                    "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Congrats, gh.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbowie
                        I thought they had child labour laws in the USA?

Comment

Not THAT long ago, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                            Not THAT long ago, surely?
                            Well, we are talking about the days when the new craze was walking upright.

Comment

I forgot to mention another anniversary of note. Either on January 2 or 3 (we can't agree on the date) was also 40 years since long time announcing partner Bob Hersh and I first met (I say the 3rd at the meet at the Cow Palace, he thinks the day before in the meet hospitality room in a San Francisco hotel).

January 3 also an embarrassing start to my track-journalist career. I was tongue-tied to be introduced to Olympic 800 champ Ralph Doubell (who was in-country working on his MBA at Harvard as I recall) and asked him if he was eager to get back to New Zealand. In typical Aussie fashion he gave me a rather pointed answer. If he hadn't been with his wife I'm sure my ears would still be burning.

Comment

re the above, I was doing the PA at a Duke freshman dual meet in about 1964, and in doing the intro to the 880, I proclaimed that " Peter Snell of Australia is the World Record holder at 1:45.1." I quickly corrected myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X