Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't the top sprinters run indoor?

By top, I mean very top.

Is it just commonly accepted that a periodization model without indoor is better, or is it strictly an injury thing or what?

Because it is not safe
    "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

They already make big $ or € on the outdoor circuit..
      Indoor = more about money nowadays (i think).

and i painfully have to agree with mrbowie for some it's not safe..

Comment

Twenty-five years ago, more top sprinters ran indoors because of the money. Now, contracts are sufficient enough that there's no need to chase money in the winter.

Comment

i would love to see asafa run over 60m he might even hold on to win :shock:
          i deserve extra credit

Comment

There is no one reason why. That really is an individual decision and many factors come into play. Indoor is used as preparation for outdoors, so depending upon in some cases where that athlete training is, they will compete indoors. Mo hasn't been out of the sport for twenty years and he competed, if you look back over the years you will see competing in the indoor season.
            on the road

Comment

Maurice Greene used to run indoors.

Edit--Believe it or not, when I posted this, I hadn't seen the post that was made 20 minutes earlier mentioning Mo. I had started my message before that went up, then did a little research to make sure his indoor running was more than once or twice, then got called away from the computer to do some kind of household chore, then came back to the computer and posted my note, not realizing that the point had already been made.

(Just wanted to make sure nobody thought that I didn't know who Mo was. )

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                Maurice Greene used to run indoors.
                Not because he needed the money. He had indoor seasons to varying extents depending on what it could add to his outdoor preparation. After his first 100m title, he only ran world indoors once, in 1999 (winning in the CR). He ran four meets in 1998, (breaking the WR twice in three days), two meets in 2000, just the US Champs in 2001 (where be broke the WR but skipped Lisbon), four meets in 2003, one race in 2004, and two meets in 2005.

A top guy like Mo will run indoor races to the extent that he and his coach think they're helpful for outdoors. If that's not the case, then there's no financial demand for the extra cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                  There is no one reason why. That really is an individual decision and many factors come into play. Indoor is used as preparation for outdoors, so depending upon in some cases where that athlete training is, they will compete indoors. Mo hasn't been out of the sport for twenty years and he competed, if you look back over the years you will see competing in the indoor season.
                  Yes, true. The reason I posted was actually about Ben Johnson and Charlie Francis, but Mo is a more recent example. BJ used a triple-periodization model as outlined by Charlie, and Mo must have wanted something similar because like Ned said he didn't need the money.

I would venture a guess that it is almost entirely an injury issue, but I don't know how any of us could really answer this question, as little is known about Bolt and Gay's training especially.

Comment

Originally posted by bman
                    Yes, true. The reason I posted was actually about Ben Johnson and Charlie Francis, but Mo is a more recent example. BJ used a triple-periodization model as outlined by Charlie, and Mo must have wanted something similar because like Ned said he didn't need the money.

I would venture a guess that it is almost entirely an injury issue, but I don't know how any of us could really answer this question, as little is known about Bolt and Gay's training especially.
                    I think using Ben all due respect, is an exception to the periodization aspectt of it due to Ben's usage of roids.

For Mo to set the world record in 60m was added bonus money, and he wasn't turning down money. But again it really depends on the individual and what their objectives are. 8-)
                    on the road

Comment

I think using Ben all due respect, is an exception to the periodization aspectt of it due to Ben's usage of roids.
                      I'm sorry but I don't buy that at all. Ben running indoor was a means to an end (end being the outdoor season). Yes, obviously his juicing cycle was tailored to this, but that doesn't mean that running indoor for the purposes that he did are only desirable while cycling roids. Well, it doesn't necessarily anyways. I just don't buy that link.

Comment

Speedfirst wrote:

Bman replied:
                        I'm sorry but I don't buy that at all. Ben running indoor was a means to an end (end being the outdoor season). Yes, obviously his juicing cycle was tailored to this, but that doesn't mean that running indoor for the purposes that he did are only desirable while cycling roids. Well, it doesn't necessarily anyways. I just don't buy that link.

Agreed Bman and I will add that to ANYONE who thinks that Ben Johnson was the only elite sprinter juicing you are living in a fairyland that quit existing long long ago.

Ben ran indoors in part because it aided his sprint development especially early in his career as many collegiates still do now. I also believe it was a method for a sprinter training in the cold of Canada for much of the winter with limited quality facilities an opportunity to get in 100% efforts that allowed better training and in his later years a chance to get a little money as well.

The limited number of indoor meets (reduced by one this year with the loss of Tyson) with pay days in North America from 20 years ago is a big reason why fewer sprinters choose to prepare to race the indoor season and the shoe companies are not requiring it and the bonus compensation for indoors is much smaller than outdoors as well.

Comment

I get the impression that Caribbean athletes don't feel comfortable running indoors, because it's not something they do at home....
                          My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

The Caribbeans who have attended US colleges have plenty of experience in running indoors, even if it's something they never did back home.

Comment

Originally posted by bman
                              I think you're confusing the issue, has nothing to do with cycling roids or running indoors. My point as I pointed out, is in respect to periodization. Because a person is on roids, that does impact their periodization, their training isn't nearly the same as someone who doesn't use roids. Ben was using for years, so if you simple look at his latter years with respect to periodization, again not the same for athletes who don't use.

P.S. valley runner, all due respect, mentioning Ben by no means indicates other elite sprinters didn't use and in fact still use roids. But again the ones who are, their periodization is affected as well, the training isn't the same.
                              on the road

Comment

Working...
                              X