This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Speedfirst
    LOL.......US still has the most 4x100 wins in history, that requires having gotten the stick around.
    That's what you're going with NOW? Tradition means diddly in the relay. We've always had the fastest team on paper, and THAT is the entering argument in this equation. Now we have neither the fastest team nor the recent experience to expect any different outcome than 2008/9. If and when Bolt and Powell retire, I strongly suspect the pendulum will swing back our way. But right now Bolt is .1 ahead of our fastest guy, Powell is faster than our #2 guy and #s 3 and 4 for Jamaica are comparable to our 3 and 4. If, when Daegu rolls around, these numbers have changed significantly, THEN you talk about the USA's gold chances. Till then it really IS just jingoistic wishing.

Comment

• another thread that long ago jumped the shark.

Comment

• Since gh is 2 posts from locking this thing let me get in now. I will try to be informative over combative.
        I am US diehard,
        Any of you stating that the US has no chance needs to realize YOU are the source of the argument. The US is plenty fast enough to get this job done, but as stated if the baton does not make it to the finish line speed is pointless.
        Bolt is the difference maker in this debate, solely.
        Both teams are capable of SUB 37.
        What we are talking about here is competition. What happens when the pressure is on BOTH teams. Our last source of evidence is Osaka but we can all agree Bolt is "slightly" faster now. But we also know Tyson is "slightly" faster also. If they were to match up on third leg it is a virtual wash in theory. Tyson holds the edge in zone speed, Bolt tends to slow. Believe it or not we pass better than JAM and would gain an advantage there (granted we complete the passes).
        The supporting cast is interesting. Asafa poses a daunting task out there, he is the fastest anchor leg in history, yes faster than CL. We do have the horses to counter him. As for the first 2 legs, we hold an advantage on first leg with a list of folks, TT, and Dix are my top 2. A healthy Walter Dix is a HUGE problem for the world, he is untouchable and gives the US at least a meter on whoever you want to chose, at least what we have seen to date. Mike R did a good job last year but is untested under the heat, Wallace when healthy is one of the best on that backstretch.
        The Jamican coaches recognize what fans dont, they will very likely be playing catch up with their big guns on the back end, and unwilling to risk leaving Tyson to rip the second bend. And all of this at 37 low and faster.
        Yes the US can run that fast AND have to run that fast to beat a Jamaican team that WILL run that fast. They are the World and Olympic champ and the world record holders having run the 2 fastest times in history.
        No one is foolish enough to claim an easy win except Jamaican fans.

Comment

• I expect Asafa to run better this year than last. Maybe close to his best. Bolt is well... Bolt. The interesting things from a Jamaican standpoint will be the progress of Blake especially as well as Carter, Mullings, Clarke, X and Y.
          We're not expecting Dexter Lee and Ashmeade to go sub until 2011-2012, so they are not X or Y. This is what makes the sport interesting. Otherwise, what Smoke said.
          Yeah, Bolt could anchor after Asafa to Blake to Carter. That matches up decently to the US loading up the first three, just that Blake may not get the baton if Asafa's groin fails
          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

• Right now you're making the same mistake as trackdaddy, smoke. No one is saying jamaica is walking away with the race. Between the semantics of "difficult" and "very difficult" a simple opinion by frater turned into absolutes. The opinion is that jamaica is superior in total team speed. So with"all things being equal", they should win right? No one said it would be a walk in the park.

I don't get how you come to the conclusion that tyson is faster through the zone either. Especially since we've only seen him in one situaion. You'll have to explain that a little deeper. Any slowing down on the part of bolt is a direct result of safe exchanges. This is undeniable based of the last two races.

Back to the race. I also belive the U.S. can run sub37. I was really on that boat in 08. I'm not as sure now but they are clearly superior to the old record.(so was 04 team). While I agree that dix may be superior to carter and yohan overall, he's no where near far enough ahead to assumung the U.S. will be running from the front. I don't see dix leading off againt a fit nesta or yohan and running away from either.
            All hail Lord Zanus!

Comment

• Well, Jamaica are the reigning World and Olympic champs, so Frater's perfectly right to say it will be 'difficult' for the Americans to beat them....
              My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

• Yay! I'm feeling Olympic today. Michael Frater has caused the collapse of the feeble social fiber on the TFN message board. I bow to your greatness sir!
                http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by shivfan
                  Well, Jamaica are the reigning World and Olympic champs, so Frater's perfectly right to say it will be 'difficult' for the Americans to beat them....
                  If Jamaica was not in those races some other country could be the defending champs and that status would not make them 'difficult' to beat, per se.

Comment

• Originally posted by shivfan
                    Well, Jamaica are the reigning World and Olympic champs, so Frater's perfectly right to say it will be 'difficult' for the Americans to beat them....
                    Anyone can say that, but Frater didn't say difficult, he said " very difficult".
                    Because Frater said it and Ja is the reigning World and Olympics champs, doesn't mean that will be the case.

Folks make statements all the time, does that make them true?
                    on the road

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235
                      Originally posted by shivfan
                      If Jamaica was not in those races some other country could be the defending champs and that status would not make them 'difficult' to beat, per se.
                      Oh cut the horse****. At the moment this is a two country race with everyone else far behind. Frater made a statement and he is correct. We ARE the better team and we will be VERY difficult to beat. Until you break 37.40, all your postulations and hypotheses about what coulda or woulda don't amount to spit on the sidewalk. Show up, actually make it to the final, get your bloody baton exchanges right...and then maybe we can talk about whether Frater should have his foot in his mouth.
                      http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

• forget the "us" and "we"; the numbers are there for all to see. Frater is spot-on in his analysis; the currently constituted Jamaican forces, even with some shoddy passing are nigh on unbeatable.

And thus draws to a close....

Comment

Working...
                        X